The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

security code for the radio [Merged 11-6]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CBgst

20+ Year Contributor
Jun 25, 2002
LouisianaUS
I bought the car used and didn't get the card (refered to in the owners manuel )with the security code for the stereo. I disconnected the batery and the stereo read code (my stupidity) I played with it and put the wrong code in 3 times now it says off. The manuel says bring to the dealership. Is there any way to fix it and if so what do I do about the code (I don't one for the car)? Or do I have to bring it to the dealership?

You will have to call the dealership and they can give you the code. i had to do this when the same happened to my firebird.

Later,

pull out the radio and get the serial# off the back. then go to the dealer and give them your VIN# and the serial#. some places wont do it over the phone because they want to make sure the car isn't stolen.

to reset the car radio so that you can try to re-enter a code again, just leave the car on (engine doesn't have to be running) for 10 minutes. then radio should the reset so you can enter a code.

only 10 min? when that happened to me, the mitsu dealer told me to leave it on for like an hr. or 30 min... don't remember it for sure. To get the serial number from your radio, all you need to take out is the plastic piece over your radio and the air climate control unit, and you should be able to see the serial number on the top part of your radio.

sorry for the confusion, i meant to say 30 min - 1 hr... my english isn't perfect, ya know?... :p

Radio problem. Recently was installing U/IC pipes, new BOV and disconnected battery. Upon rehooking up battery radio code is required. The stupid dealers want $54 to take apart and recode. Mitsubishi 1-800 says go to dealer. Any way around this????

you dont have to take anything appart - a card comes with the car when its new with the code on it - all you have to do is puch that code in. its prob a matter of finding a cool dealer to just give you the code

every time i go to the local mitsu dealer there's someone on the phone trying to get their stereo code.

At my local dealership (parts desk) I had to give them the model # of my stereo (on the top of it) and show them my registration to get the code.

that happened to me one time also. called the local satan, and they wanted to charge me $75 to bring the car in, so they could take out the radio, get the serial number, and look up the code. yeah, right. i copied the serial number on a piece of paper (since i had the radio out already), and made a post to a message board (can't remember which one). turns out someone on the board was a mitsubishi technician, and was able to get the code for me while at work one day.

I used to work at an auto auction and we had a way around this, it was a code we were given to test the radios, but its been years and I have forgotten it, I remember it had two 5s in it though, sorry I cant realy be of any help

God damn, I just removed the radio to reroute some wires and now this bastard is asking me for a code !! How in the hell am i supposed to know ? I have no idea what to do now.

Call or show up to your nearest mitsubishi dealer let them know a number off the back of the unit and they will give you the code. :D :dsm:

I wish I remembered that universal test code....it had 2 5s in it, I think in the middle, but....grrr, damn it, been years since I used it

same thing happend to me after my battery died. luckily i had the card with the # along-side my manual.

Originally posted by HyperGSX
Don't the dealerships charge you a lot of money for retrieving your code?

no, or at least the one i called, i just gave them the serial number and they gave me the passcode right away...

Originally posted by Ricardo
most actually DO CHARGE YOU. My friend doug told me out of 4 only one didn't want to charge him anything.

just out of curiousity...

how much were they gonna charge him??

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back