Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > General > Newbie Forum
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Newbie Forum: Beginner/newbie/general DSM modification questions. First mods, how to run 10's when you haven't run 12's yet, any tech question that doesn't fit in another tech forum. Probationary Members must limit their tech posts to this forum and sub-forums.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2007, 01:07 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Probationary Member

Tech Posts: 14

Front-Rear play on front passenger wheel? Need suspension and braking expertise!!

I just noticed that the eclipse I bought a few months ago has some play in the front passenger wheel. It's like I can rotate that wheel forward and back about 1/2" more than the other wheels. The brake rotor and everything moves with the wheel, there is definitely some excess play in there. I'm going to take the wheel off tonight and have a look, but anyone know what might be causing this? I thought wheel bearings would give side to side play, this wheel can roll forward and backward more, so it's not the same. Any ideas?

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 01:22 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 227
Photos: 4
Classifieds Rating: 0
Send a message via AIM to VTRICCO
take a look at your upper and lower control arm bushings and all the ball joints. if any of those are worn out it will cause excess play in the wheel and you dont wanna have one of those break while your driving. losing a wheel at highway speeds isnt fun
View photos of this member's car 

Old 01-02-2007, 01:44 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
Proven Member

Car: Galant
Tech Posts: 607
Photos: 1
Classifieds Rating: -1
Send a message via Yahoo to tom04841
1g's bont have upper control arms. Nor do they have upper ball joints.

With that being said, side to side wheel play is often from a tie rod, either inner or outer. Have someone wiggle the tire while you watch the outer that connects to the steering knuckle. If it moves, its bad. If it doesn't move, grab the shaft of the inner tie rod. If you feel it "clicking" , it is bad.

You will need an alignment if you replace one of these. It is nearly impossible to get the toe correct without an alignment.

In some rare cases, the lower ball joint may also give the feel of side to side play. More often then not, it will feel like up and down play. Might as well check it while you have the front end jacked up. With the tire about 3-4" off the ground, stick a bar under the tire, and pry up with one hand while your other hand is on the lower ball joint. If there is any play, replace it.

Hope this helps. Good luck with it.
View photos of this member's car 

Old 01-02-2007, 02:13 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
Probationary Member

Thanks for the replies, but the play is forward to back, like the same direction the tire rolls. I had never seen play like this, and it is significant. I put my foot on the tire while the car is in gear and the parking brake is engaged. I can roll only the front passenger tire back and forth while the rest of the car and the wheels don't move. Any ideas?

Old 01-02-2007, 02:51 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 2,731
Classifieds Rating: 5
Reputation: 1992awdlaser is extremely helpful and trustworthy1992awdlaser is extremely helpful and trustworthy
Send a message via AIM to 1992awdlaser
Maybe a break caliper or brake hose not working properly. That is the only thing I could think of. Does it pull one way when you are coming to a stop when on the brakes?

Old 01-02-2007, 02:59 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 554
Classifieds Rating: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1992awdlaser View Post
Maybe a break caliper or brake hose not working properly. That is the only thing I could think of. Does it pull one way when you are coming to a stop when on the brakes?
Not only is there pull when you brake; is there any noise coming from that area while you are driving, or is there any excess noise coming from that area when you hit a bump?

I once lost a bolt from the caliper mount and it caused exactly what you are describing. Take off the tire and inspect everything including the strut brackets and bolts, the lower control arm, the brake caliper mounts, the wheel bearing and anything else under there. Have fun and good luck.

Old 01-02-2007, 04:48 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)
Probationary Member

Had a quick look tonight and it looks like it's the lower control arm bushings. I can see the whole control arm move forward and backward when I roll the wheel forward slightly. The ball joints don't look great either, so it looks like I'm going to have a fun-filled weekend. I'll definitely check the caliper bolts too. Anything else I should replace while I have all of that apart? Thanks all!

Old 01-02-2007, 04:59 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #8 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 554
Classifieds Rating: 3
Replacing the wheel bearing would be a costly but still good idea.

Old 01-02-2007, 05:11 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #9 (permalink)
Proven Member

Car: Apex Silver 2003 Evolution 8 GSR
Tech Posts: 747
Classifieds Rating: 0
Send a message via AIM to sonicnofadz
Time for some performance poly urethane bushings! Enjoy! Hope you have a press =)
Visit sonicnofadz's homepage! 

Old 08-26-2011, 01:17 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #10 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 665
Classifieds Rating: 2
Send a message via AIM to DJ23GSX
I know super old thread but did the control arm bushings fix the problem? I'm experience the same exact problem with my 1g passenger side wheel.

Hey atleast I use the search button lol.

Nevermind. I actually had a minute to myself today for a change and just checked and its def my control arm bushings. The entire control arm rocks back and forth at the bushings when I rock the wheel. Thank you for this thread tuners.

Last edited by DJ23GSX; 08-26-2011 at 02:34 PM.