Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > General > Newbie Forum
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Newbie Forum: Beginner/newbie/general DSM modification questions. First mods, how to run 10's when you haven't run 12's yet, any tech question that doesn't fit in another tech forum. Probationary Members must limit their tech posts to this forum and sub-forums.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2006, 10:26 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 35
Photos: 2
Classifieds Rating: 1
Send a message via AIM to nighthawk355x
Question

5th Gear Pop-out, I searched already...

I've been searching and I can't find what I'm looking for. My car pops 5th when you accelerate, it'll go in fine, no grinding at all, it stays in when you're coasting but when you accelerate it pops out.

I've seen a few posts on it when I searched but none had what I was looking for. I realize it may need a rebuild, but I'm not going to just jump in and do it without exploring the simpler options. That said, I heard there's a problem with something coming loose on 5th and all you have to do is pop the trans cover off, tighten it, and you're good. And to me it sounds like something is loose.

Well, that's fine, but does anyone have a link to the steps in doing it or pics of what I need to be looking at? I found a few links but none work anymore.

Visit nighthawk355x's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 10:47 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
Banned Member

Tech Posts: 289
Classifieds Rating: -1
That usually means the gear is out and you need a new 5th gear, my dads old bronco did that in 3rd gear and then went on to 4th. you might wanna get it fixed before it gets to where you cant drive.

Old 12-20-2006, 10:51 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
Proven Member

I plan on it, but I want to explore the cheaper fix first, just in case. If the gear were completely shot it should pop out all the time, even when you coast.

With this it stays in gear fine, but only when you're coasting or slowing down in gear.

Old 12-20-2006, 11:55 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
Unverified Email Address

Tech Posts: 222
Photos: 6
Classifieds Rating: 0
Send a message via AIM to spinz4 Send a message via MSN to spinz4
Just pull the end cap off of the tranny and check and see what's going on. Its only 6 bolts maybe seven.
Visit spinz4's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 12-21-2006, 02:14 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
Proven Member

Car: 93 Talon TSI / EVO VIII
Tech Posts: 734
Photos: 12
Classified Ads: 1
Classifieds Rating: 19
Send a message via MSN to 4g63t
yes you got it pop the end cap off tighten down the big nut, make sure that it did not jump all the way off and destroy your gear fluid gally. This should help alot.
Visit 4g63t's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 12-21-2006, 02:56 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 929
Photos: 5
Classifieds Rating: 3
Send a message via AIM to 1gcrazy Send a message via MSN to 1gcrazy Send a message via Yahoo to 1gcrazy
Oh yeah just pull off half your car and tighten a nut... You'll be good to go if you could only get to that ONE nut....

Sorry guys....I am really trying to resist here....eeek aarg...I can't do it......SUBMIT!
View photos of this member's car 

Old 12-21-2006, 04:54 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Tech Posts: 25,202
Photos: 8
Classifieds Rating: 2
http://www.geocities.com/qwik93awd/Vfaq/shifter.htm
Visit Defiant's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 12-21-2006, 05:00 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #8 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 929
Photos: 5
Classifieds Rating: 3
Send a message via AIM to 1gcrazy Send a message via MSN to 1gcrazy Send a message via Yahoo to 1gcrazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiant View Post
Perfect! I retract my statement...except i'm gonna leave it there...

Old 12-21-2006, 10:17 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #9 (permalink)
Proven Member

Thanks defiant! That's exactly what I was looking for!

Old 12-21-2006, 11:43 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #10 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,539
Send a message via MSN to T is for TURBO
Quote:
is this a common occurance in all dsm trannies or just 1g trannies? Also does it only affect the 5th gear?

Old 12-21-2006, 12:21 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #11 (permalink)
Unverified Email Address

Tech Posts: 222
Photos: 6
Send a message via AIM to spinz4 Send a message via MSN to spinz4
It can also affect reverse.
Visit spinz4's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 12-21-2006, 09:19 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #12 (permalink)
Proven Member

From what I've been reading it's both 1g and 2g cars, mine's a 2g and it has the problem, and in the link defiant left it was a 1g.

Old 12-22-2006, 05:41 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #13 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 593
Reputation: Rex2342 is extremely helpful and trustworthyRex2342 is extremely helpful and trustworthy
Send a message via AIM to Rex2342
Definitely get that taken care of. Taking the cover off is allot easier than putting in a new transmission. Even if it's not the cause it's still better to be safe than sorry. That is what happened to mine before I bought it. The nut backed off and it cracked the cover spilling all the fluid out. Eventually the trans locked up while the previous owner was driving it. Actually the one that I replaced it with had a cracked cover too. The previous owner of my new trans had it happen too but caught and repaired it before it did any serious damage.

Old 12-23-2006, 03:47 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #14 (permalink)
Proven Member

Fixed it today! That was the problem, I've got 5th now and every other gear is easier to shift now. I need a few trans parts, but it's fixed.

Old 04-08-2007, 09:58 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #15 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 131
Classifieds Rating: 19
Send a message via ICQ to mitsumissile Send a message via AIM to mitsumissile Send a message via MSN to mitsumissile Send a message via Skype™ to mitsumissile
I got the same problem with my Shep stg2 tranny. I am going to check it.

Old 12-20-2007, 10:01 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #16 (permalink)
Probationary Member

Tech Posts: 17
Question

4th pops out, shifter moves a fair amount in most gears

Hey folks. I'm glad I found this thread.

I have a similar issue that 4th gear will pop out. I can get around this by making sure I double clutch into 4th (which actually has greatly improved my rpm matching, almost don't need the speedo anymore since i know what rpm in what gear is what speed - but i digress).

The vfaq seems to indicate this would only effect 5th gear? Can loose bolts cause 4th to pop, with seemingly no issue in 5th?

Tnx in advance folks.

Old 12-20-2007, 10:16 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #17 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 2,167
Reputation: BUCK is extremely helpful and trustworthyBUCK is extremely helpful and trustworthyBUCK is extremely helpful and trustworthy
Thumbs up

I'd start checking Shifter Cable adjustments at both ends & Cable Tranny Bracket fasteners.
Visit BUCK's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 12-20-2007, 11:19 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #18 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 2,301
Classifieds Rating: 29
Reputation: ed1380 is extremely helpful and trustworthyed1380 is extremely helpful and trustworthy
sometimes 1st will pop out for me. (alot lately) big PITA in city driving
the cables look ok, but how much play should there be?

Old 12-20-2007, 03:58 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #19 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Tech Posts: 5,877
Photos: 11
Classified Ads: 2
Classifieds Rating: 51
Send a message via AIM to Calan Send a message via Yahoo to Calan
Like BUCK said... first (and easiest) thing to check is shifter cable adjustment.

After replacing my 5th gear and removing the reverse brake synchro, my car popped out of 5th constantly under acceleration. Turned out to be the shifter cable just needed a little adjustment.

Old 12-20-2007, 04:21 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #20 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,041
Photos: 14
Send a message via Skype™ to 95CarbonEclipse
Quote:
When doing this procedure, would putting in Synchromesh fluid be advised when re-filling the tranny with fluid?

'95 AWD DSM
Visit 95CarbonEclipse's homepage!  View photos of this member's car