The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

5th Gear Pop-out, I searched already...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nighthawk355x

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 27, 2005
Edison, New_Jersey
I've been searching and I can't find what I'm looking for. My car pops 5th when you accelerate, it'll go in fine, no grinding at all, it stays in when you're coasting but when you accelerate it pops out.

I've seen a few posts on it when I searched but none had what I was looking for. I realize it may need a rebuild, but I'm not going to just jump in and do it without exploring the simpler options. That said, I heard there's a problem with something coming loose on 5th and all you have to do is pop the trans cover off, tighten it, and you're good. And to me it sounds like something is loose.

Well, that's fine, but does anyone have a link to the steps in doing it or pics of what I need to be looking at? I found a few links but none work anymore.

so im a new oner of a dsm and it is poppin out of fifth and ive been reading that its the ''big nut'' on the tranny. just out of curriosity where is located exactly? any info would be awesome!:thumb:

If u look at the transmission from your passenger side wheel well you have to take them bolts off the transmission case and the big nut is the top nut. It is not the middle one. But if your car is popping out of 5th gear it is more then likely your syncros are going bad like mine were. Replaced and its fixed.

My bad didnt realize u had a 2g n/a my advise does not do any good for you sorry i know nothing of the 2g n/a trans

so im a new oner of a dsm and it is poppin out of fifth and ive been reading that its the ''big nut'' on the tranny. just out of curriosity where is located exactly? any info would be awesome!:thumb:

This is only on turbo cars, unless you have a spyder N/T, then it will work for you, but if you have the 420 engine which it has the motor on the passenger side and transmission on the driver side, this is a totally different transmission.

FWIW, here's a picture of said nut (the off-centered synchro is resting on it):
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Mine was 3 full turns lose :notgood:

There wasn't any noticeable damage to the end cap or reverse cone but I'm going to put a new wave spring in there for good measure.

Since I've gone this far, I MIGHT as well throw in a taller 5th: EVOIII 5th Gear Set - Jacks Transmissions LLC

My hands are dirty again so I gotta make this a happy experience! :hellyeah:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hopefully someone can help me. I have a 2g with the 420 engine,the 5th gear was popping out when i first got it. It eventually got to the point to where i couldnt even get it into gear and it would just grind so i stopped trying so i wouldnt mess up my 5th gear to bad. The past couple weeks i have put new syncros and bearings and 5th gear shift fork (mine was badly worn) in my transmission and while doing so, i checked my gears and they all looked good. I have also put new motor mounts in and i have checked the linkage. I am now able to go into 5th gear again but when i accelerate it pops out. This is starting to get frustrating because i have done everything that i have been told to do by other people and although it has helped, it has not fixed it completely. if anyone could give me advice on anything else i could do or look over again that would be great.

Last edited:
I just got my trans back from shep and mine is doing this. The shifter does not move around but it pops out of 5th all the time. i have like 300 mils on the trans. The 36mm nuts are tight. Anything i can look for? besides messing with the shifter cables more.?/

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back