Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > General > Newbie Forum
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Newbie Forum: Beginner/newbie/general DSM modification questions. First mods, how to run 10's when you haven't run 12's yet, any tech question that doesn't fit in another tech forum. Probationary Members must limit their tech posts to this forum and sub-forums.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2002, 10:57 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 163
Classifieds Rating: 0
Send a message via AIM to TODD DA HUSTLA

Put in new starter car still wont start

i jus put in a new starter in today and the car still wont turn over the only way the car will turn over is wen i pop into gear.....anyone have any ides im thinkin maybe the wiring set up is messed up....is there a fuse or somethin that i shood check?maybe the battery wires are not producing enoff juice....please help thanx

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 05:17 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 8
Not ment to be a stupid reply but are you absolutely sure you are grounded properly (tight at the battery and tight on the chassis). new battery etc... ive done it before... replaced everything imaginable and then you wiggle the negative and get loose terminal confirmation. does the car die if your idleing at stop but seems normal if your driving (above idle speed) <replace the battery and terminals on the wires>

before you do anything, go at the terminals and the corresponding wire connections with a brillo pad (or something like it) especially if you have something that looks like a mushroom on the positive battery terminal.

Old 09-13-2002, 08:36 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
Proven Member

I know all about the corrosion and that mushroom stuff....Actually im not the one who put tha starter in....My buddy who runs a shop put it in 4 me..and he tested it and said it worked...When i had the old starter in it woodnt even attemp to move ...now with the new one...i can hear it popping out...u know the bendix that rotates the engine... its popping but not rotating...Maybe not enough battery juice.....The battery doesnt seem weak...but maybe it is....and all the cables are ok....Im cluless at this point.........

Old 09-13-2002, 10:50 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 83
OK...to start...to get rid of corrosion use a paste of water and baking soda fizzle that sh*t away nicely..............

Now.....when you turn the key does the starter just engage or does it also try and turn the engin over......You said your friend tested the starter, in the car or out of it?............Does your car have the coil pack or distributor cap? Timing could be horribly off. Same thing was happening on my Dad's van and the timing was just way off after replacing the distributor......

Old 09-13-2002, 02:06 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
Proven Member

The starter i think is jus engaging ..it making s popping noise...and If i roll it and throw it in gear it still starts...the starter is not rotating the engine at all...Could it possibly b the wrong starter? they tested it off the engine i got the distributorless one..it like its grabbing the flywheel but its not turning it...u know ### i mean??

Old 10-12-2002, 09:49 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
Proven Member

the problem was ...when the shop ..put the starter in...he ran a double positive...to the selonoid...so i removed it myself........hooked the cable directly to the battery..like ## suppose to....and she firedright up...i knew it was something stupid..i shood go back and tell his ass..and he calls himself a mechanic and couldnt do something so simple

Old 10-12-2002, 10:07 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 339
Send a message via AIM to LaserRST
...heh...