Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > General > Newbie Forum > Maintenance & Repairs
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Maintenance & Repairs: Oil choices, timing belt, setting timing, CV boot replacement, alternator servicing, fuse/relay checks, and other basic maintenance, repair and diagnosis discussions. Probationary Members can post here.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2010, 03:11 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 221
Photos: 14
Classifieds Rating: 0

What are the symptoms of timing belt jumped a tooth or two?

hey guys i would like to know what are the symptoms of timing belt jumped ??

what is happening to the car if its jump ??
how to chceck if it jump ?

btw my car loosed like 40% of power and i need to chceck my timing belt if its ok

thx a lot guys

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 05:13 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
Banana Republic

Tech Posts: 4,643
Photos: 65
Classifieds Rating: 14
Symptoms of a timing belt that has jumped/skipped a few teeth:
  • One Tooth: It will idle like normal and the exhaust will sound fine but cruise and WOT the car will feel like you've got no power and in most cases will hesitate and misfire.
  • Two Teeth: It will sound like somethings "knocking" which is likely the pistons kissing the valves. The car will start and idle but if it sounds like somethings knocking just because it starts DON'T DRIVE IT!
  • Three Teeth: Your bending valves, the car more than likely won't start, & you'll have ZERO compression.

To check it you need to align the timing marks on your cam gears, follow this write-up and take pictures of your results if your unsure.
1G/2G Quick Timing Belt Alignment Check

E-OCHOCINCO Powered FP HTA68 / stock 7-bolt / Shep 4
View photos of this member's car 

Old 07-28-2010, 12:54 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 4,310
Photos: 7
Classifieds Rating: 3
Reputation: DSM1G90 is extremely helpful and trustworthyDSM1G90 is extremely helpful and trustworthyDSM1G90 is extremely helpful and trustworthy
Lost 40% of power also sounds like your charging system has taken a dump. Not enough current heading to the coils to fire the plugs hot ... I've seen that as well ...

Pull a plug and see if it's all sooty or clean. If it's sooty and all plugged with carbon, that plug is firing real weak.

Old 07-28-2010, 07:00 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
Proven Member

maybe not 40% its like 25% or 30%

i looked an the plugs and all of them are super white . i think it means that itss too hot ??

and thanks too gofer for fast replay and good explanation

ill chceck timing today later

thnksss again

whatt else could it be ???

when i go WOT sometime it feels like the turbo has shaft play but the turbo is new and it has no shaft play at all

some sensors ?? or it could be that timing belt off ??

Last edited by dawid4444; 07-28-2010 at 07:04 AM. Reason: Auto-merged with previous post to prevent "bumping" within a 24 hour period Tips on avoiding the auto-merge feature - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/faq.php?faq=vb_faq#faq_bumping

Old 07-28-2010, 07:56 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
Banana Republic

If you verify that everything on the timing belt side of the motor lines up you need to do a boost leak test (BLT) and if you don't know how to do one there are BLT threads all over tuners and vfaq... Is the CEL illuminated?

Old 07-28-2010, 10:03 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
Proven Member

yeahh i know how to do a boost leak test . i know a lot about turbo cars .
and yes i did a boost leak test and find that my bov is leaking but it was leaking when the car was pulling HADR so :/
and another leak is on 4th injetcor seal
ill change them soon

the CEL was on ( P0300 ) i clear it and it is good but it always come on on the highway at about 70mph

Old 07-30-2010, 07:43 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)
Banana Republic

It might be your COP setup or if your running a 1g CAS you can get the P0300 CEL randomly as well.

Old 07-31-2010, 10:45 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #8 (permalink)
Proven Member

ok i check the timming belt yesterday and my first guess was that my timming is off one Tooth cause i aligned the camshaft and than look at Crankshaft pully timing mark and one time ot was at 5 BTDC and i try to fixed it . I turn the timming belt back a Tooth and lookk again . guess what ?? Crankshaft pully timing mark was not even at the ''T - 15 BTDC '' scale anymore :/ so i guess my timming is ok .
its like bettewn 5 BTDC and T mark . it is like 3 BTDC.

what do u guys think >> ??

btw when i was checking the timming i clean up the crank angle sensor cause it was flood in oil and idk why :/
and the car seem to run a lot better now

Old 07-31-2010, 11:36 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #9 (permalink)
Banana Republic

Not sure if you've got a camera or a camera phone handy but you trying to explain what you saw with your timing marks is a bit confusing. Just take two pictures, one of your cam gears and one of your crank pulley and where its line up to TDC. It should only take 6 turns or less to get everything to line up like it should.

If your CPS (crank position sensor) was covered in oil you might be leaking oil from your OEM CAMSHAFT OIL SEAL : MITSUBISHI ECLIPSE 90-99.

As an example, heres what mine looked like when I skipped (2) teeth a few years back...

Old 07-31-2010, 12:19 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #10 (permalink)
Proven Member

Here are some pics i took .

like i said the mark on Crankshaft pully is at like 3 BTDC
what do you guys think ??

sorry for my english but im come here not long ago

thxx guys
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08675.JPG
Views:	391
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	112052  

Name:	DSC08681.JPG
Views:	374
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	112053  

Name:	DSC08677.JPG
Views:	376
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	112054  

Old 07-31-2010, 12:30 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #11 (permalink)
Banana Republic

Thanks for the pics and you don't have to apologize for your English, I'm not bilingual and I'm sure English is your second language so your doing better than I am.

Your timing looks good, hows the car feel now after you fixed that #4 injector seal? That P0300 random misfire code could be coming up because of your COP setup, you might try reverting back to stock if you can and see if it clears up.

Thanks for the pictures, it really helps.

Old 08-01-2010, 08:27 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #12 (permalink)
Proven Member

i didnt change those seals yet . I will do it tommorow or tuesday .

and with that P0300 code i will try to find some good cheap coil pack and see if the code come back

--one more question

why the car sometime feels like the turbo has a lot of shaft play ??
the turbo is new and it doesnt has any shaft play at all .

its like when i drive in 2nd gear at 2.500 rpm and than go WOT the turbo will boost fine but the car wont have power :/ if i let the gas off and than WOT again its all better

what do you guys think ??

thkns a lott

Old 08-03-2010, 07:51 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #13 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 289
Photos: 5
Sounds like a boost leak, if the turbo is boosting fine but you aren't feeling the power then air isn't making it to the cylinder most likely. That or fuel isn't but then you would know because you would be running super lean.

Old 08-03-2010, 08:04 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #14 (permalink)
Proven Member

but when i let the gas off and than WOT again its all okay

and i dont have a Wideband so i can check if its lean :/
u said fuel ? what exacly could be couse this >??

Old 08-03-2010, 08:14 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #15 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 289
Photos: 5
When you say you go WOT it does what? does it bog? does it just not feel like its boosting?

Old 08-03-2010, 11:21 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #16 (permalink)
Proven Member

yeahh if it does that it bogs a lil

Last edited by snowborder714; 09-05-2010 at 07:41 AM. Reason: Auto-merged with previous post to prevent "bumping" within a 24 hour period Tips on avoiding the auto-merge feature - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/faq.php?faq=vb_faq#faq_bumping

Old 09-05-2010, 07:29 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #17 (permalink)
Proven Member

if i turn up the boost its getting worse

Last edited by snowborder714; 09-05-2010 at 07:41 AM. Reason: Auto-merged with previous post to prevent "bumping" within a 24 hour period Tips on avoiding the auto-merge feature - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/faq.php?faq=vb_faq#faq_bumping

Old 09-05-2010, 07:40 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #18 (permalink)
Proven Member

Car: AWD 90 Dodge Colt 4G63T
Tech Posts: 2,589
Photos: 6
Classifieds Rating: 4
Reputation: Colt4G63 also is extremely helpful and trustworthyColt4G63 also is extremely helpful and trustworthyColt4G63 also is extremely helpful and trustworthy
The P0300 indicates a random missfire IIRC, and our cars are tough on plugs and wires. Are you sure it's not just a missfire. Does it feel a little rough/shaky when it's happening?

Old 09-05-2010, 04:56 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #19 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 50
My car jumped timing the other day because I have thesee same symtoms like loss of power and stuff after last week when I was doing something in the engine bay and accidentally left a screwdriver near the cam gear and I guess it was a little in it but I went to start the car to test and it got jammed but I immediatley shut the car off. How can I adjust the timing.