The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Stock motor 1G Plymouth Laser AWD 558awhp

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chicken Patty

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 26, 2007
Miami, Florida
Took my buddies stock motor 35R powered Laser AWD back to the dyno for some tuning on the new cams and dual pump setup. Only changes was adding a 2nd Walbro 255HP pump and dropping in HKS 272 cams with Crower single springs and retainers. Boost was left the same at 30psi for both dyno sessions. Massive gains for just some cams and tuning heh?

Car picked up 75whp and 64 ft-lbs of torque with uncorrected #'s. Picked up 73whp and 61 ft-lbs of torque with SAE corrected #'s. Not only were the power gains massive, but the mid range is soooooo much better now. Car is a totally different beast now.

This is on a full stock 6 bolt, stock head gasket as well. Just has standard ARP head studs, springs/retainers and HKS 272's. This was done on E85. Car has way more left in it, but this is a daily driver with AC and all so we decided this is more than enough!

Below dyno sheets show the best run of the current tuning session with the cams, and the best run of the previous tuning session on the stock cams. Just for comparison purposes.

Uncorrected #'s
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Corrected #'s
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Some videos. The speedo view was when the car was around 520whp corrected. The two outside ones the car was already over 540whp corrected.

Stock motor 1G Plymouth Laser AWD 544whp SAE corrected - YouTube
Stock motor 1G Plymouth Laser AWD 544whp SAE corrected - YouTube
544whp Plymouth Laser speedo view of a dyno pull - YouTube

im not expecting it to last me too long im just happy with the numbers and the fact that the motor got there. its also got a stock head gasket.

im not expecting it to last me too long im just happy with the numbers and the fact that the motor got there. its also got a stock head gasket.

Great job! It will last longer than you think if , as was already mention , keep the tune conservative. It's detonation that will kill your head gasket not boost;)

jmf race smim the turbo is a 63 AR back housing the rest is just a regular 35r cartrige

...and the exhaust manifold is a DNP T3. It's all in the tune. My stock 7 bolt, also with a stock head gasket made 465whp then I know the car picked up a good 20 or so whp with some slight issues fixed, and I could tell because of the gain in airflow in the logs and the feel. Car made a hair under 500whp with 215k miles, unopened motor, stock head gasket and balance shaft still in it. Just had a good conservative tune.

this car is already a blast and if taken care of will last a good bit.

This is pretty motivating! I was telling my brother about this car, he has an almost identical setup (35r, big cams and in a 1gb) but right now running only 15-18 psi on e85 LOL. Now that he got a new job i'm going to try convince him to raise the boost to 25 psi at least. My only issue with his car is V3 but i'm sure i will get used to it eventually as i know he is not going to spend any extra money on a real standalone :rolleyes:

Great job on the progress!

This is pretty motivating! I was telling my brother about this car, he has an almost identical setup (35r, big cams and in a 1gb) but right now running only 15-18 psi on e85 LOL. Now that he got a new job i'm going to try convince him to raise the boost to 25 psi at least. My only issue with his car is V3 but i'm sure i will get used to it eventually as i know he is not going to spend any extra money on a real standalone :rolleyes:

Great job on the progress!

This car was tuned on V3 and Speed Density. Real easy to tune bro

I understand that it is easy i just don't like their knock control or should i say the lack there of. Everyone got their own preferances i guess and people have gone 10's on an eprom so it is certantly still doable. Maybe not ideal but doable ROFL

No, i was insinuating a programmable eprom chip ROFL

At the end of the day a Standalone is a Standalone. I tune Standalone's too and yes, it's MUCH better. Way more control in many more things DSMLINK doesn't offer. But I say even on a 10 second car it's still not really "Needed". But regardless either route works, just depends on what you need the most.

...and Shane from ASAP Performance went 8.8 on DSMLINK :)

nice! I stared at the temp gauge needle though LOL. that thing moved a bit at WOT.

nice! I stared at the temp gauge needle though LOL. that thing moved a bit at WOT.

Yeah car goes from about 170ish up to 190ish from the time it cranks to the end of the pull. It's on a small radiator so yeah, it could use better cooling.

With out a doubt good job man! I love seeing these motors making power just proves how strong the 4g63 really is .

Car has been holding up pretty good. i changed back to the Stock Radiator and car has been cooling great. im dying to take it to the Track in get some 1/4 mile times in. just scared the Drivetrain wont Survive. still stock with an unwelded Diff.

Car has been holding up pretty good. i changed back to the Stock Radiator and car has been cooling great. im dying to take it to the Track in get some 1/4 mile times in. just scared the Drivetrain wont Survive. still stock with an unwelded Diff.

trying to plan a trip to the track next friday! You should bring the car.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back