The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

637whp and 499wtq on the stock 1g 6 bolt motor

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Have you tried it yourself to come to that conclusion?

Yes, and a rod came out of the block. Like I said, the stock rod bolts will let go.. It's more of a matter of time, rather than "if"

The weird thing about the clogging is that it is random, I know a few local dsm guys that run e85 and they haven't had any kind of problems. In our case we solved the issue by cleaning the system really good for the last time and switching to e98

Another solution for most vehicles is running a tank of 93 through the system occasionally. The goo can be bad and I know several people who have had that exact issue, even with FIC bluemax injectors. E98 is good stuff though :) With proper maintenance on the injectors you will have hardly any issues, if any at all.. it's not that hard to inspect them occasionally.

With the stock block holding so well at such high hp it makes me wonder why more built blocks aren't seeing higher numbers more often? It almost makes me not want to build my block (althought forged internals is kinda a good safty blanket) What kind of maintance do you do to keep the block alive with such hp? What oil are you running and how often do you tear the motor down to inspect and clean?

Awesome car btw and nice color!

Yes, and a rod came out of the block. Like I said, the stock rod bolts will let go.. It's more of a matter of time, rather than "if"

Another solution for most vehicles is running a tank of 93 through the system occasionally. The goo can be bad and I know several people who have had that exact issue, even with FIC bluemax injectors. E98 is good stuff though :) With proper maintenance on the injectors you will have hardly any issues, if any at all.. it's not that hard to inspect them occasionally.

Well the car has been on that power for some time now, so I beg to differ. I do agree with you that it is more a matter of time but then again that's with any motor. The current record is held by Mike R. and he ran the stock block harder than I for 2 seasons. So you can understand my disagreement with your theory.

Yeah the E98 rocks! Haven't had an issue since I made the switch.

With the stock block holding so well at such high hp it makes me wonder why more built blocks aren't seeing higher numbers more often? It almost makes me not want to build my block (althought forged internals is kinda a good safty blanket) What kind of maintance do you do to keep the block alive with such hp? What oil are you running and how often do you tear the motor down to inspect and clean?

Awesome car btw and nice color!

Haven't opened up the bottom end this year but I will at the end of the season. They key is to change your oil very very often. This does more than you think. I use valvoline vr1 20w-50.

turboglenn said:
here's a quote on the subject from the biggest and first link when i googled "e85 clogging fuel injectors" from the Q&A on this webpage about ethanol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanol page
Q: Does ethanol plug fuel injectors?
A: Earlier fuel injectors of the pintle design could form deposits that changed the pattern of the injected fuel. This problem developed from injectors seeping fuel when the vehicle was not running. This formed carbon deposits on the pintle and caused even more leakage. This could happen with any gasoline. Because of this problem, injectors in most vehicles have been re-designed around the popet style and all gasoline is required to carry a detergent component to alleviate the deposit problem.

myself i haven't seen much residu at all after 3 years, and i just had mine out a week ago doin some wire tucking. Although i am going to ultra sonic shake them and pressure run seafoam and B12 Cleaner through them here soon and see if the IDC's or AFR"s change at all

I will certainly consider these methods if I go E85. Sure is alot of cash to spend for the FIC 2150's to go bad from using this fuel. The 1450's are alot cheaper but on those I'd perhaps stick to using gasoline. I figured that the main reason folks use the 2150's was because they wanted to use E85 fuel and achieve max horsepower but my issue was is it worth it. If using gasoline every once in awhile would remedy this problem then perhps I will go ahead with the 2150's. I'm looking to put out 550 to 600whp out of this thing and soon. All of my ETS parts will be here today including my BW300SX 88-75. Wish me luck.

So far from this thread I have found that the Mitsu MLS gasket woud be more than fine and the use of the Jayracing fuel pump is definitely more than adequate. I will stick with the stock intake mani,not to mention upgrading my tranny to a TMZ stg 3. These are all big pluses to me for right now. The inj and fuel may still be in question but we'll see. I gotta figure this corn fuel stuff out.:hmm:

All I need is one 272 HKS intake cam to replace my 264 cam so if anyone has one let me know or else I'll just get rid of these as they are still practically brand new.

I will still be watching this thread though with eagle eyes as it still offers me a whole hell of alot.:thumb:

Ceedawg why not use meth injection and forgo all the issues of corn fuel? With methanol you could actually reduce your injector duty cycle.

Well guys so far it looks like we will be heading to the track today and hopefully get a 9 sec. Pass or something really close :)

Ceedawg why not use meth injection and forgo all the issues of corn fuel? With methanol you could actually reduce your injector duty cycle.

Well I really did not want to add any more equipment and further complicate the car. After seeing how this 1g is running without meth on reg fuel,race fuel,and corn fuel, it has really taken the meth setup and expense out of the equation for me. If my car can run 10's safely without meth I'll be happy. I will lower my HP expectations in that case.:thumb: If I need to also avoid corn fuel so be it. My original goal to be honest was to stay on 93 oct. Worse comes to worse we will see about meth but not likely.

Well guys so far it looks like we will be heading to the track today and hopefully get a 9 sec. Pass or something really close :)

I'm pulling for you bro!:hellyeah:

Well guys we made it to the track tonight and had a chance to make a few passes. We basically lost the first 2 passes to spark problems. A shame that the best 60' of 1.49 was lost on one of those passes. The 3rd pass the car bogged off the line so I let off after 3rd gear so I wouldn't get kicked out for not having a cage. The 4th and final pass we made sure that all issues were squared away and I went for the money. This was the outcome:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiF-K0BFUmE

That 1.49 we lost was the one but either way I am very happy with the outcome. 9's are just around the corner.

Last edited:
awesome man. i didn't read the last 4 pages because most of it was b.s., at the end of the day the track NO. what matter.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back