The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

2g gsx rear diff noise identification

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atuca

Supporting Member
Jan 6, 2007
Central Valley, California
[ame=http://youtube.com/watch?v=Yk5R0S3XJD4]Knil's rear diff sounds - YouTube[/ame]

The grinding sound is coming from the wheels, either a dragging brake bad or something of the like. The ticking sound is coming from the rear diff.

The car in this video is off the ground, in nutral. This car was a non running shell my buddy picked up and after rebuilding it and going out for its maidan voyage we heard this sound. Putting it in jacks this is what we found.

We're calling it a night, but hoping maybe someone has an idea where we should begin with solving this noise. The car does run on its own power, but no telling if the front is just dragging the rear.

Sounds exactly like a brake dragging or the the rotor scraping against the brake dust shield. Take the wheels off on both sides and make sure nothing is touching the brake shield. I usually take a screw driver and bend it far enough away so there is no question.

You will also want to ensure that all the parts of the caliper are well greased. Un-lubed slide pins will cause sticking.

Could also try adjusting the e-brake to make sure it's not frozen.

I have also, on rare occasion, seen a rock stuck between brake pad and rotor that caused this noise.

Or else dead wheel bearings. Its hard to say from 11 seconds other than it could possibly be coming from the diff, but I would start with the wheel bearings, brakes and ebrake assembly first.

I am fairly certain we are looking at two different issues here and the easier one to do is the wheel bearing and rotor/brake pad. My buddy had the car towed to his place now, but he's aware of this thread and is going to start there. Once one of the noises is resolved I'm sure it will make identifying the other easier.

The joys of non running shells huh? This wasn't a diamond in the rough unfortunately.. ended up just being rough ROFL

Thanks for the assistance guys, we'll keep you updated.

The dragging sound was the ebrake not disengaging when released inside, and the ticking noise was the rear diff, though the problem exactly has not been identified.

My friend got a smoking deal on a full awd rear subframe: axles, knuckles, control arms, wheel bearings, everything with a LSD diff for $250.

We swapped the axles and diff and sound is gone. Luckily, replacing it was the cheaper/easier solution (with the added bonus of upgrade). Appreciate the pointers.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back