Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > General > Custom Fabrication
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Custom Fabrication: TIG/MIG welding, jig-building, metal working, fiberglass, carbon fiber, and other custom fabrication projects.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2010, 03:34 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 62
Classifieds Rating: 0

Custom Valve Cover

I had been looking fora JDM Mitsubishi valve cover for a long time but wasn't ready to part with the cash that everyone was asking.
I decided to make an original. Starting with a Hyundai cover I shaved the lower letters to half there height. I then shaved the rings around the spark plug holes to allow hood clearance for my ACCEL coils. Then I sculpted the MITSUBISHI lettering and Diamond Star from aluminum stock. I then aligned the letters and soldered them to the cover. Then a 3 color powder coat.

Unfortunately this is the third white cover I have tried and heat seems to yellow them. I tried high temp clear paint and two different types of powder coating and they all have turned yellow after time and the white contrasts greatly with the coils. I believe I will strip it and go gloss black this time.

Mike

P.S. I plan on Ceramic coating my heet shield soon.

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:00 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Tech Posts: 2,434
Classifieds Rating: 15
You really did the Diamond Star symbol and "MITSUBISHI" yourself?! That must have taken some patience. Very impressive work.

What did you use to sculpt the letters?

You definitely have a very unique looking engine bay. Can't say I've ever seen a TMIC on a DSM.

Strong work.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:12 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Tech Posts: 6,590
Classified Ads: 1
Classifieds Rating: 29
Send a message via AIM to LiquidX
Looks pretty good I must say. Why go through all that work though? What are your intake temps with having the TMIC opposed to a SMIC or FMIC? IF they are turning yellow and you are just using a high temp clear, that may be your problel. Use the high temp colors and clear as well. Do you notice the powder coat cracking or staying sticky?

@Romeen
The Mitsubishi RVR actually utilizes a TMIC setup with their 4g. I got a full "JDM" long block minus the transmission and it came with the TMIC setup.

97 ṰŠlΩИ ṰƧɨ Λ₩ƿ

Old 01-27-2010, 09:14 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 733
Photos: 15
Classifieds Rating: 14
That looks good indeed.
View photos of this member's car 

Old 01-27-2010, 09:27 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 287
Photos: 21
Classifieds Rating: 2
wow, SICK lookin valve cover. I've already read your multiple threads on dsmtalk about your top mount intercooler. You do awesome work!

Old 01-27-2010, 09:46 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 908
Photos: 59
Classifieds Rating: 34
Reputation: motozachl is pretty helpful and trustworthymotozachl is pretty helpful and trustworthy
Oh wow that looks sweet If you want to sell one of those slightly discolored ones pm me

edit: maybe not

Last edited by motozachl; 01-27-2010 at 12:50 PM.

Old 01-27-2010, 01:21 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 122
Photos: 3
Send a message via Yahoo to willydsm
Any pics of the car with the hood down and the tmic? I would like to see what it looks like with that.

Old 01-27-2010, 01:27 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #8 (permalink)

Tech Posts: 8,630
Photos: 68
Classified Ads: 3
Classifieds Rating: 131
Very impressive work, Mike.
You have much more patience than I do.

The Original 1G Chromoly Crossmember
Visit 99gst_racer's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 01-27-2010, 01:44 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #9 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 115
Not to sound like a broken record, but that is sick! I love the TMIC too. I think i speak for everyone here when i say that we need more pics of your car!

Old 01-27-2010, 01:57 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #10 (permalink)

Tech Posts: 8,630
Photos: 68
Classified Ads: 3
Classifieds Rating: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by willydsm View Post
Any pics of the car with the hood down and the tmic? I would like to see what it looks like with that.

The Original 1G Chromoly Crossmember
Visit 99gst_racer's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 01-27-2010, 02:02 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #11 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Tech Posts: 1,310
Photos: 14
Classifieds Rating: 23
Send a message via Yahoo to NeMiZiS
The lettering looks really good!

Old 01-27-2010, 03:58 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #12 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

As neat as it looks, the TMIC isn't very efficent at cooling. Heat rises folks so after sitting at a light, the intake temps are rising from the engine heat leaving through the TMIC. Clean none-the-less but good for performance.

You had a white VC in one of the later pics, did that one turn yellow as well? I still think it's the brand of powder coat you are using. It is high temp powder and you are baking it properly after you spray right?

97 ṰŠlΩИ ṰƧɨ Λ₩ƿ

Old 01-27-2010, 04:17 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #13 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 329
Photos: 5
Send a message via Yahoo to EagleTSIawd
Subis have them from factory, I'd say it works just about the same as the stock sidemount. When parked you don't need cooler air so it won't matter if it gets a hot. I'm sure once rolling the air will cool It off rather quickly.

I think if you painted the valve cover black and the lettering white, it would work out better.

Old 01-27-2010, 04:24 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #14 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleTSIawd View Post
Subis have them from factory, I'd say it works just about the same as the stock sidemount. When parked you don't need cooler air so it won't matter if it gets a hot. I'm sure once rolling the air will cool It off rather quickly.

I think if you painted the valve cover black and the lettering white, it would work out better.
Scoobies have a TMIC because that's the only place they can fit one in their tight engine bay. I agree though as you don't need it to be cool while sitting, however, it'll take longer to cool off the IC after the heatsoaking from idleing. I know it works, but just how efficently it works is the main question at hand.

97 ṰŠlΩИ ṰƧɨ Λ₩ƿ

Old 01-27-2010, 04:26 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #15 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 505
Photos: 8
Classifieds Rating: 17
Send a message via Skype™ to shredwin
She is so clean... nice job

Old 01-27-2010, 04:30 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #16 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Tech Posts: 1,148
Classifieds Rating: 1
Send a message via ICQ to Morpherex Send a message via AIM to Morpherex Send a message via MSN to Morpherex Send a message via Yahoo to Morpherex
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiQUiDx View Post
As neat as it looks, the TMIC isn't very efficent at cooling. Heat rises folks so after sitting at a light, the intake temps are rising from the engine heat leaving through the TMIC. Clean none-the-less but good for performance.

You had a white VC in one of the later pics, did that one turn yellow as well? I still think it's the brand of powder coat you are using. It is high temp powder and you are baking it properly after you spray right?
I suggest you read into how he has the TMIC setup.

Old 01-27-2010, 04:46 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #17 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 140
Photos: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by romeen View Post
You really did the Diamond Star symbol and "MITSUBISHI" yourself?! That must have taken some patience. Very impressive work.

What did you use to sculpt the letters?

You definitely have a very unique looking engine bay. Can't say I've ever seen a TMIC on a DSM.

Strong work.
no that is a JDM valve cover they cost a lot and are hard to find i bought one once and have only seen them a few times on ebay.

Old 01-27-2010, 04:51 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #18 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpherex View Post
I suggest you read into how he has the TMIC setup.
I'd like to know honestly, but I don't know where I would find that information. I was just stating the information I know about TMICs. I know if you have a pull fan on the bottom, that will help out as well. If you can get me a link to his IC idea I would appreciate it

97 ṰŠlΩИ ṰƧɨ Λ₩ƿ

Old 01-27-2010, 04:56 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #19 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,077
Photos: 25
Classifieds Rating: 44
Reputation: Killa_dsm is extremely helpful and trustworthyKilla_dsm is extremely helpful and trustworthy
Send a message via AIM to Killa_dsm
Very nice valve cover. Maybe you can make some custom ones and sell them for a profit?

Old 01-27-2010, 05:12 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #20 (permalink)
Proven Member

Car: 2006 Nissan Sentra SE
Tech Posts: 1,967
Classifieds Rating: 26
Reputation: 97gst_spyder is pretty helpful and trustworthy97gst_spyder is pretty helpful and trustworthy
He has a fan attached to the bottom of his ic, so at stops/etc air is always moving. Also, you can tell that its a Hyundai lettering on the bottom that he ground down to make it look like a Mitsu one, and added the Diamond Star and Mitsubishi....