The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Dynoed the 74mm - New Best 835AWHP @ 46psi!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I will have to check the timing at the crank to confirm, but I have the timing synch at 15* with a 97-99 CAS. Cams are 3* retard intake, 4* retard exhaust, timing table posted in .pdf format below. I am currently running straight VP Q16 fuel.

I did some passes at the track yesterday with the current dyno tune in ridiculous weather conditions; 95 degree air temps w/ 90% humidity for an effective temperature of 117 degrees. Track surface temp was 137 degrees in direct sunlight all day. Tire pressures stayed at 18psi as it didn't make sense to screw around with them. The biggest thing was keeping the car cool enough to make passes and run my class. I couldn't 60-foot to save my life.

I had only 4 passes for the day. The first was a shakedown with anti-lag on with a dying turbo; it did 11.7 @ 140 with 97mph in the 1/8th. I had two vacuum lines pop off; vac line for boost controller from intake manifold, and two throttle body lines that were looped. The anti-lag didn't like a dying turbo so it spuddered out 1st and into 2nd, then started getting going at 50psi.

Pass #2 was a [email protected] w/ 1.78 60' and 116.55mph in the 1/8th. Easy pass, low timing from the heat. Heck, only saw 7 degrees of timing at the top of 2nd, 5 degrees at the top of 3rd and 3 degrees at the top of 4th. AFR's between 11.9-12.1 throughout pass. No knock. Short-shifted 2nd at 8400rpm, and 3rd at 8000rpm; redline is 9000rpm and power doesn't drop to redline.

Pass #3 was horrible with a 10.448 @ 151.33mph w/ 1.944 60' and a116.48mph in the 1/8". Timing was around the same.

Pass #4 was a 9.94 @ 151.03 w/ 1.708 60' and 115.16mph in the 1/8th.
I had ignition retard for 3 variables during my last pass yesterday; air temperature, coolant temperature, and knock control. Coolant temp was pulling around 2*, and air temp was pulling around 2*-4.5* from beginning of run to end of run. It also saw a slight amount of knock that pulled timing in the top of 2nd and 3rd gear. I ended up with around 9 degrees of timing at the top of 2nd, 7 degrees of timing at the top of 3rd and 2 degrees of timing at the top of 4th. It was noticably running too little timing due to the temperatures and the safety measures in place.

Here is a video of the passes I just put together.

‪Tim Zimmer - TMZ Performance - twicks69; Back-to-back 9's.‬‏ - YouTube

We also have slow-motion and GoPro on-car video to edit and post up!

As for this turbo, the Borg Warner has severe shaft play which is hurting spoolup by over 1000rpm now and it will be replaced with a Garrett GT4202R, and the Borg will get rebuilt and shelfed as a backup turbo. I did not get any time to play with different housings on it because the thing lasted between 500-1000 miles only.

I really miss a good spooling, durable turbo that has a good powerband, so the Garrett goes back on the car. I gave the Borg Warner a try, and maybe I will go back to it again in the future, but not right now unless I run out of time to get other things on the car done.

As for stuffing aluminum rods into this engine; wow, that was a major chore! I would not recommend ANYONE to do it as it is a very delicate process of clearancing the rods, the cylinder walls, the block webbing, the main oil galley and the oil pan. It is not easy, and requires extreme precision when it comes to clearance tolerances with expansion ratios factored in.

Tim,

Looks good. Curious on a few things from one stroker guy to another if you dont mind sharing. Is the 8* sync'd (not sure what CAS you are running) or was it not counting base? I have found on mine and others at that boost level we can usually get more into them safely and really watch it pickup. This is me at 15* on my new setup-

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v505/Hurrikain/Evolution/aaron831.jpg

I have run it at 18-19* without headgasket issues on the 3586(I realise you arent on E85) and Jeff's we are at 17* right now at 44psi. THe other thing I was wondering is if you had played with a larger housing or just the 1.1? We found on his that the bigger divided only made the car look laggy, it works very well in the real world. Of course we are on a 1.44 twin but you might find the 1.25 works better for you and keeps the motor happy.

Congrats for stuffing aluminum rods in that beast. I looked into it and gave up (on the 2.4) when I ground through the oil galley on my 94mm and had to sleeve the oil galley.

Aaron@ER

Here is the pass #1-3 ignition timing map, pass #2 AEM Log, pass #4 ignition trims, and pass #4 AEM log in .pdf format.

Attachments

• Pass 1 to 3 ignition timing ran good.pdf
    47.6 KB · Views: 112
  • pass 2 log.pdf
    90.7 KB · Views: 129
  • Pass 4 ignition trims.pdf
    78.1 KB · Views: 91
  • pass 4 log.pdf
    99.1 KB · Views: 97
I will send it out for rebuild after my upcoming race, but I already have two other backup turbos.

My backup turbos are:

*Garrett GT4088R w/ 0.85 & 0.96 A/R divided T4 housings.
*Garrett GT4202R w/ 1.01 A/R divided T4 housing.

I need to make one charge pipe for the 42r and a coolant line to run it. This will likely be the turbo being ran at the Shootout.

Tim Zimmer via Evo Phone

Can't wait see this car in action at the shootout. I'll be there to record it on video and take good pics:thumb:

Very happy to see this thread i was wondering when i'd see an update :)

After reading through the posts i'm suprised to stuck with your guns and the 7 bolt with all the necessary machine work to get the alum rods in there!

GL the rest of the year i'll be keeping my eyes open for more posts from you and the progress of you 2G

Thanks Pat! As for the 7-bolt, I wanted to be different, and many years ago I was told by some "big dogs" that the 7-bolt was junk and wouldn't do anything worthwhile for power or reliability. I wanted to prove the masses wrong, and that is what I have been doing for many years.

Considering the stock motor made ~530AWHP/460TQ and ran in the mid 11's in a full-weight daily driver, the Eagle/Ross combo 2.3L made 766AWHP/713TQ on the GT4088R and went 9.96@143 with a 1.52-sixty foot with a best MPH of 149mph in a full weight car minus HVAC and cruise, and the current motor is at 835AWHP with a dying turbo and went 9.94@152 with a 1.70-sixty foot.

Lessons learned along the way:
*Don't remove any weight from the stock crank (FFWD Butcher crank bent from load/power).
*The 2002-2003 Kia Optima 7-bolt 4G64 crank can handle everything I have thrown at it so far without issues.
*Ross and CP pistons are killer! Do the biggest/thickest wrist pin you can fit.
*On a 2.3L 7-bolt, Eagle rods below 1000HP with tool steel thick-wall wrist pins, R&R or Groden aluminum rods for a race motor above this power level OR Howards ultimate duty billet steel rods for durability and longevity at the sacrifice of bearing wear.
*Plug squirters, run coated skirt pistons with dry lube coating.
*Davies Craig EWP115 electric water pump/pump & fan controller in conjunction with an efficient radiator is the bomb for reliability when running a relocated alternator.
*Have alot of spare cash around for replacement transmissions if you stick with a 5-speed on a high power/torque stroker; otherwise go for a built automatic transmission.
*Protect your rear diffferential and use the Frontline Fabrication steel rear differential cover with load bolts, and if possible run it with Boston Hatcher's 4-mount rear diff housing bracketry.
*Quarter Master Gear Drive clutch assembly has been the most reliable clutch for my setup at this power level, and has provided fast shifts everytime.
*Use a better quality crank harmonic balancer than stock; i.e. Fluidampr or ATI. I run a Fluidampr.

I am sure I could ramble on for days to come!

Updated the website with some new videos!

TMZ Performance

I will try to find time to update the website with more stuff when I get caught up on work!

I added an awesome 1080p HD video of Jon's SL-R race transmission that was just completed along with several videos from the last race event and the 835AWHP dyno pull.

ThankLessons learned along the way:
*Don't remove any weight from the stock crank (FFWD Butcher crank bent from load/power).*The 2002-2003 Kia Optima 7-bolt 4G64 crank can handle everything I have thrown at it so far without issues.
*Ross and CP pistons are killer
NO. The 2.4 crank rod and main journals dont overlap as much so they are weaker. I was always told not to knife edge my 2.4 crank when building my 2.3.

Ok Tim like someone had pointed out to me b4 and I want to clarify,does this pertain only to the 7 bolt crank because I have a 6 bolt Butcher crank in my 2.0L motor and only plan to put out if at most 600awhp? Just want to clarify.

What was wrong with car. I saw you working on it at the shootout. And only making 10 sec passes.

Just a tough day, nothing more than that. Popped a trans on the first pass, 2nd pass we had electrical gremlins due to potentially a faulty cam angle sensor harness plug causing the fuel pumps to sporadically shut off. 3rd pass, having misfire issues; replaced plugs, confirmed that I was low on fuel after 4th pass. Oh well, not my day.

Ok Tim like someone had pointed out to me b4 and I want to clarify,does this pertain only to the 7 bolt crank because I have a 6 bolt Butcher crank in my 2.0L motor and only plan to put out if at most 600awhp? Just want to clarify.

the 2.0 cranks are fine. the stock ones have handled 1000hp

the 2.4 is the weaker one

Boston Hatcher's 4-mount rear diff housing brackets where do I go to get me one ?

Tim,

I am glad to see that you are doing well. Good to see a vendor out making some impressive results. Can not wait until you max out a 5 BAR MAP.OMG Good luck and I will be following along.

Robert

I noticed that you said use mitsu or ACL Bearings, and I currently have ACL aluglide bearings in my 2.3 which is what the machine shop gave me when doing the machining. I always wondered if I should have went with the race bearing, but I guess figured with my power level these would be fine. I don't plan on making any more than probably 500hp and wasn't sure if these would last, but if mitsu ones last, I'm sure these would. I run good oil, and It doesn't see high RPMs.

How's the EWP running on the street Tim?
I'm redoing the cooling system on my car and I'm eyeing one but my car sees quite a bit of street time (daily in the summer).

The water pump has been doing absolutely awesome. I have been seeing around 170-185 degrees for an overall range depending on ambient temperature (60-85 degrees air temp range), a bit higher when I was at the track in 95-degree air temps (185-190 standing still with 200-202 at the end of a pass). The pump is silent, and trouble free. I am running it without a thermostat, and only one 11" SPAL thin puller fan on my custom radiator with no issues. When the car turns off, the pump still circulates the coolant until it reaches a specified temperature.

It was the best investment in the last several years that I should have done earlier along to save me from years of troubles maintaining a water pump belt at high rpm with an alternator relocate.

Awesome! Good to know.

Any details on the custom rad? I've dug through your posts and haven't seen much info on it or where you've got it located.

Great work with the car!

The radiator design is in the "quarter master prototype clutch" thread on like page 5 or so. There is a .pdf of what I designed and had C&R Racing fabricate up for me.

Great numbers and congrats on the aluminum rods with the 2.3:hellyeah: Are you running a fillied or partial filled block? and with or without o-rings? Great info.

Great numbers and congrats on the aluminum rods with the 2.3:hellyeah: Are you running a fillied or partial filled block? and with or without o-rings? Great info.

It is a totally open block, full coolant passages. The block and head are not o-ringed at all. I am simply running 2G 97-99 block with 2G ARP L19 head studs, and a Mitsubishi MLS head gasket without copper spray. The ARP's are torqued to 115 ft/lbs with a 4-step torque sequence of 35/70/100/115 with ARP extreme lube on all fastener surfaces.

The block and head are just properly decked with a clean surface. The head was a virgin head that has around .004-.006" taken off of it and the block deck was just a .004" cut.

Pretty simple overall.

As well, if anyone questions the strength of the 7-bolt 2.3L combination with a Kia Optima crank, I am not the only one that runs it. One of my race buddies has a 7-bolt 2.3L steel rod methanol-burning setup with a Borg S480 in his Toyota Starlet who is local to me. IIRC, it is a high 7-second car running on a Jericho 4-speed dogbox. I would have to get any other details some other time from him.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back