The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

637whp and 499wtq on the stock 1g 6 bolt motor

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I appreciate your advice but please bring some facts to the table as to why is 4th gear the 1:1 on my application. This is the way we have tuned the car since day one and it has gotten us to 10.2 @ 139 on the stock block so we must be doing something right or maybe we are just darn lucky.

ive just always heard of people doing 4th gear pulls. Your numbers are inflated because you are doing a 3rd gear pull. While the power you are making is still extremely impressive 637 (or 638) is not really a realistic number. The reason it reads high which i would assume you should know is because of the gearing. Just like no person does a 1st gear power run on a dyno because 1. the numbers are wayyyy inflated and 2. there is not a smooth curve to tune with.

Im curious to see the amount of power it would make on a 4th gear pull.

Also wouldn't a third gear pull make the torque read lower because of the differences in load?

im pretty sure it would read higher but im not 100% sure you could be right. think about it if you were riding a bike. When you are going up a hill you go into an easier gear so you can work less and get up the hill. same principle applies.

I appreciate your advice but please bring some facts to the table as to why is 4th gear the 1:1 on my application. This is the way we have tuned the car since day one and it has gotten us to 10.2 @ 139 on the stock block so we must be doing something right or maybe we are just darn lucky.

Still most people dyno there cars in fourth gear due to the 1:1 app. That's a fact but regardless your car still posts some nice times especially for a stock bottom end.

funny thing is that most dsm/evo tunners that i've seen dyno the cars in 3rd gear

He probably dynos in 3rd gear because it's much closer to 1:1 than 4th gear is.

Probably why everyone else does too, seems pretty simple to me...

i dont see why all the dip sh!ts are making a big deal of what gear he dyno in.... he originally stated he is chasing the stock block 1/4 time not the stock block hp record. get off his nuts

Does Mike R currently hold that record? (9.9X if I recall) Mike is only a stock short block though with a Buschur stage 3 head. I might be off, but that's what I remember from searching it and watching his YouTube video's.

Freakin noobs.

3rd gear is pretty standard for DSM dyno tuning. If anything, his numbers are LOWER thanks to the 3rd gear pull. The taller the gear, the higher a dynojet will read.

Here's why:

"Higher ratio gears will give you lower chassis dyno numbers for a strange, but logical reason. In essence, the DynoJet calculates hp based on the time it takes to spin up the 2800lb roller assembly. It's basically work divided by time and rpm. Think about this: If you car is at idle in neutral and you stab the throttle, it will take time to accelerate to redline...let's say 1.1 seconds. Now let's say it takes 8.2 seconds for your car to accelerate the DynoJet from low speed to top speed with 3.23 gears and 7.3 seconds with 3.73 gears. Dyno printout says 355 rwhp with 3.23 gears and 346 rwhp with 3.73 gears...why?

Think aabout this: In the 8.2 seconds it takes to spin the rollers with 3.23 gears, it would still take the motor about 1.1 seconds to overcome its own inertia (idle to redline). There's about 13.4% of the work used just to accelerate the motor itself. With 3.73 gears, the time to reach redline decreases to 7.3 seconds. Divide the 1.1 seconds into the 7.3 seconds and you will see that overcoming the internal engine inertia costs 15.1% of the work with 3.73 gears. There is less hp available during this time period to spin the rollers so the DynoJet will read a slightly lower hp figure. Make sense, or did I lose you?"

Does Mike R currently hold that record? (9.9X if I recall) Mike is only a stock short block though with a Buschur stage 3 head. I might be off, but that's what I remember from searching it and watching his YouTube video's.

Yes, he does. That block cracked where the bell-housing bolts up (what a silly way for that legendary block to die) and he sold the turbo, not sure what he might be planning.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you running e85 on that run? Was one jay racing pump not enough? Shed any light on your IDC's or fuel flow out of the jay racing pumps?

Found a good quote on that subject:

"the reason for the dyno in the 1:1 gear ratio is due to the Dynojet. Dynojet mathematically creates a horsepower number based on mass (which is the known weight of the rollers) and accleration (how fast the car is accelerating the known weight).

F=ma

From force (F), we can calculate horsepower.

Dyno the car in 2nd gear, and acceleration (a) goes way up, causing force (F) to go way up.

So by dynoing the car in the gear closest to the 1:1 gear ratio, we eliminate any acceleration advantage or disadvantage caused by the transmission, which gives us unskewed whp numbers (even though Dynojet has a fudge factor in there which makes them skewed anyways and read high).

As for other dynos out there (i.e. Mustang and Dyno Dynamics) - they use a load cell to measure roll force (the amount of force the tire is placing on the roller). Based on roll force and the radius arm going to the load cell, we get roll torque. Based on roll torque and roll speed, we can get vehicle horsepower. Vehicle horsepower and vehicle RPM gives vehicle torque. It doesn't matter what gear you run in on load cell style dynos as they are measuring force, not acceleration. Force does not change from gear to gear."

Still seems like people don't understand the fact that with his setup and tune and everything he does his pulls in 3rd gear.
More members brought proof the the table showing that his 3rd gear pull was correct than random people just saying 4th gear is where it's at. I have yet to see someone bring a good amount of proof stating why a 4th gear pull is better. For his setup, from my understanding, a 3rd gear dyno run will give him the closest 1:1 ratio. The guy obviously knows what he is doing if hes putting out over 600 WHP even if its stupidly inflated and its only 500whp, which I doubt it being that low, thats still more than a mass majority of members. I don't think he built a car without knowing the simple knowledge of dynoing the car so yea.

Still seems like people don't understand the fact that with his setup and tune and everything he does his pulls in 3rd gear.
More members brought proof the the table showing that his 3rd gear pull was correct than random people just saying 4th gear is where it's at. I have yet to see someone bring a good amount of proof stating why a 4th gear pull is better. For his setup, from my understanding, a 3rd gear dyno run will give him the closest 1:1 ratio. The guy obviously knows what he is doing if hes putting out over 600 WHP even if its stupidly inflated and its only 500whp, which I doubt it being that low, thats still more than a mass majority of members. I don't think he built a car without knowing the simple knowledge of dynoing the car so yea.

dude 1:1 on and dsm is 4th gear. he can tune in any gear he wants but if he wants to show his max dyno numbers it needs to be in 1:1 which is 4th gear:banghead:

I feel like some people are shiting on his post...

1. i havnt seen anybody else do what he is doing with all the stock parts

2. he is tuneing HIS car this way and it is working

3. i have seen and have video of half dozen dsm shops doing pulls in 3rd - yes some do in 4th - you ask 10 people you will get 10 diff answer

4.this is why people dont post info on here becasue there is always someone who knows more then you but doesnt have shit to show for it

5. i am sure he will do a pull in 4th to make you guys happy

6. the car also has been at CFT and run on THERE DYNO "MUSTANG" and IF he was going anything wrong someone at CFT would have said something

I feel like some people are shiting on his post...

1. i havnt seen anybody else do what he is doing with all the stock parts

2. he is tuneing HIS car this way and it is working

3. i have seen and have video of half dozen dsm shops doing pulls in 3rd - yes some do in 4th - you ask 10 people you will get 10 diff answer

4.this is why people dont post info on here becasue there is always someone who knows more then you but doesnt have shit to show for it

5. i am sure he will do a pull in 4th to make you guys happy

I second this LOL

Are you high? No DSMs have a 4th gear 1:1 ratio.

Tranny gear ratios for DSMs

your link shows that the 3rd gear is lower (numericaly higher) than 1:1 thus giving false readings on the dynojet dyno.
Dont get me wrong the numbers wont be a huge difference and the times at the track are where the Proving ground is. He is doing great for those parts.
I am not trying to knock him down or shit on his post but when the Title of the post Makes the hp numbers so Important.
Congrats on the times. but if you want your true numbers you might want to go find one of those heartbreaker dynos to get the true readings. Everybody knows the dynojets are an ego booster.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back