The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

Compound turbo dyno results

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yah Paul hoping the rain will hold out. You should shoot me a pm for the setup :) Ill see what I can do. We are meeting at the shop at 6-7ish if you wanna meet with us.

i guess no answer is the same as a no. would have been nice if you just said no thanks.

Last edited:
Congrats!! i still can't get over the fact that the total area under that curve is so massive

wow, what kinda blow off's you got and where are they located? sounds like it's not releiveing a whole lot of pressue.. but 47psi is massive for any motor /turbo setup..

this car properly tightened up.. i feel could push beyond 1400whp

whats this about not running the same turbo's again?

wow, what kinda blow off's you got and where are they located? sounds like it's not releiveing a whole lot of pressue.. but 47psi is massive for any motor /turbo setup..
The sound that the camera picked up wasn't even close to what we were hearing. That dyno video is a poor tool to judge from. My BOVs are actually quite loud in person and seem to be sufficient in preventing compressor surge.

I have 2 Greddy BOV's about a foot from the TB:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

this car properly tightened up.. i feel could push beyond 1400whp
ROFL I'm not sure what you mean by "tightened up", but these compressors would never be able to compress enough air to support 1400 WHP. Never in my wildest dreams. I'd say this system would be good for 700-750 WHP max.

whats this about not running the same turbo's again?
I sold the set-up and have begun fabricating a new configuration. I'm completely sold on compound turbocharging, but I wanted to change a few things for the next season.

Awesome work and truly impressive results Paul.:thumb: Car sounds amazing and I can only imagine how fun it must be to drive.

Ever consider making kits for market?

that car is awesome!

47 p s i !!!!!! You can hear that coming , sounds like jet!! Nice dyno!

Awesome work and truly impressive results Paul.:thumb: Car sounds amazing and I can only imagine how fun it must be to drive.

Ever consider making kits for market?
Thanks man. :)

I have considered producing these, but I think the market for something like this is incredibly slim. And I honestly don't have the time or resources either. Most of the people that seem to be really interested in compound turbocharging are DIY guys like me. Few seem to be willing to pay several thousand dollars to have someone else do the work.

99, you have one of the sickest cars on this forum. That is one SEXY engine bay. Can't imagine there is much room for A/C in that rocket ship....
Everything about your car says I want to jizz in my pants.

Just curious why 2 BOV's? Also where is your fuse box?

Thanks man.

There's room for A/C, but I eliminated it because it makes pulling the engine much easier and quicker. I rarely used it when I had it though. I picked up a second BOV because I honestly don't feel that one GReddy would have been large enough to do the job. The fuse box is in the glovebox now. I always felt it was an eyesore under the hood.

The wire tuck is clean, amd I agree with you on the eyesore. I would love a write-up on how you put the fuse box in the glove box :)

I ran into the problem with keeping belts intact with my e316g I wouldn't imagine it would even be possible on your beast. Every pull I made one belt or another was shredding to pieces...

Since this thread is about compound turbo, why not tell us a little about why you ditched this setup and going with a new one. If would start out from scratch what would you change, and what are you changing with the new setup? Are you running into problems with tuning with the compound? What are the real benifits with going this route besides the obvious power band?

From your dyno graph it looks as though it starts to pull really hard at 4k, how does it feel below 4k? Just curious what kind of mpg are you getting, or is that even a viable question?

You said that now that you are into compound you wouldn't go back, is there a specific reason or does it go back to the obvious? Have you considered going auto with that much power? What are the chances of us getting a street video?:aha:

The wire tuck is clean, amd I agree with you on the eyesore. I would love a write-up on how you put the fuse box in the glove box :)

I ran into the problem with keeping belts intact with my e316g I wouldn't imagine it would even be possible on your beast. Every pull I made one belt or another was shredding to pieces...

Since this thread is about compound turbo, why not tell us a little about why you ditched this setup and going with a new one. If would start out from scratch what would you change, and what are you changing with the new setup? Are you running into problems with tuning with the compound? What are the real benifits with going this route besides the obvious power band?

From your dyno graph it looks as though it starts to pull really hard at 4k, how does it feel below 4k? Just curious what kind of mpg are you getting, or is that even a viable question?

You said that now that you are into compound you wouldn't go back, is there a specific reason or does it go back to the obvious? Have you considered going auto with that much power? What are the chances of us getting a street video?:aha:

if i had to guess why he would never go back to a single turbo its because his power curve is simply to much fun.

Also hes selling(or sold) this setup to fund a setup with larger turbos.

just compare his dyno sheet to a dyno sheet from someone running 600whp with a single turbo and you will see just how much torque he has down low.

im pretty sure there is a video of it on the street, not sure if it was at full boost but trust me i got the idea. last time i saw it was in his build thread.

If you didn't notice some of his he's doesn't want a fast street car anymore he's going to build a drag only car.

I'm switching to hydro-electric power steering this winter, so that allows me to ditch the pesky factory mechanical pump. And the alternator will be relocated to the rear of the block. So, that will afford me much more area in the front of the engine bay to configure the turbos in a way that I couldn't before.

The powerband is the reason I did this from the start. But I also have a theory about the smoother and more gradual power hit being much easier on the drivetrain components. If that holds true, I'd say that's a very nice benefit. Tuning wasn't much different that a single turbo set-up. I just need to tune sooner in the RPM range to account for the quick spool.

It actually starts to make power around 3K, but we had to start later on the dyno, unfortunately. There's pretty much almost no lag ever felt. My fuel economy depends on how I drive it, but it's not usually too bad. I got 27 highway mpg driving to the Shootout in '09 on a factory 5th gear. I was pretty happy with that.

I'm not a big fan of autos. They have their purpose, but I'm a true M/T guy. I just enjoy driving on a manual much more. I'm not sure what videos I could get for you - almost everything that is fun and cool, is also very illegal to do on the street. Also, my car is already in storage for the year. I hope to have some track videos next summer.

Ahh, you need a twin disk man!! Nice power-band though, im glad to see you have 500hp for a little over 3k rpms in the graph, a lot nicer than a huge power hit, eh?

CONGRATES MAN!!! Im going to use your experience and drop my 4puck for a twin disk.

I busted my 2600 ACT at around 350lb/tq. Yours is still holding at that power level with that much tq and hitting at such a low RPM. Just amazing. Great work.

Twin disc setups are great if you plan on replacing synchros every year. I would love to see a compound setup with an Auto trans. That would be crazy off the launch!!

I'm surprised that the 2600 PP held too. I definitely would have never expected it to hold almost 550 ft/lbs of torque. Then again, I've never had clutch issues with this car. I made 350 ft/lbs with a 2100 PP and a street disc last time I was on the rollers. And that set-up lasted for years.

Also, TRE is only about 45 minutes from me, so no sweat if the tranny ever needs servicing. I pull it at least once every year as it is. LOL

At this point, I'm more worried about stripping 4th. :pray:

I busted my 2600 ACT at around 350lb/tq. Yours is still holding at that power level with that much tq and hitting at such a low RPM. Just amazing. Great work.

Twin disc setups are great if you plan on replacing synchros every year. I would love to see a compound setup with an Auto trans. That would be crazy off the launch!!

You mean Kevin's RWD compound setup.....

So glad I found this thread. I have been working on a compound setup for my MR2 for years (i have little time with owning a business). I currently have a GT35R and GT4788R that will be my setup for some serious compounding.

99gst_racer: It sounds like you did a true compound and not a staged sequential like marc evans did. Is that right?

ive seen people make almost those numbers on alot less psi, and pump gas, all that psi should be pointing towards more HP if you ask me.

It's not neccesarily about peak hp its about the power band. having more horspower/torque earlier accelerates you earlier so you have a better overall time.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back