The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Maft+afc settings revisited

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gstclipse69

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 30, 2006
Columbia, South_Carolina
I searched and searched but havent found anything yet.
All mods are up to date in profile.
I have recently installed a maft v2 and tial bov due to my previous bov leaking. If I had known about this mess I would have got some sort of recirc bov but the general conscencous was the tial was the best so thats what I'm working with.
Ok, I have an afc and the maft. I was, and did, set the maft to stock 450s. I thought I would merely zero out the maft and tune just like I was with the afc. No no. I reset the fuel trims before I started the car and did a boost leak test as well. My setting was -18% on the afc before at low 1k. I started the car and the stft slowly climbed to over 20. I added some fuel with the afc up to -5% and got the fuel trims in ok shape.
I thought this a bit odd, I didnt expect to mess with the settings that much but ok. Got low 2k and 3k down watched them for a couple days. Now the problem. I keep leaning out the high throttle and whatever I put it at it the wideband goes to rich at about 4k. My setting right now is -40 to -45% at 2k, 3k, 3.6k, 4k etc. And it still goes rich at about 4k.
I find it quite odd the settings vary that much and it still is running rich at wot. Is there something I'm missing?
I thought about setting the maft to 650s and tuning the rest with the afc but with the fuel trims that far apart I cant help but think something isnt right. Any ideas?
Also, for peace of mind, I notice that the tial bov is open at idle. I read one thread that said the vacuum is going to pull it open at idle and another said that it should be closed. Like I said would someone clear that up for me? I know thats an extreme newb question.
Thanks

Update:
I figured I would post my solution to my problem to assist anyone in the future. Anyhow, I did a boost leak test and verified everything was connected properly. The 450 setting on the maft was not working obviously. So I changed the maft for 650s, like I have, and zeroed the afc out and went from there. I've tuned everything now, the low and high throttle and got the fuel trims happy. My low settings on the afc are around +13 and on high throttle they vary from 4k at -8 to 7k at -13. The car pulls like a mofo! I am very happy to have this resolved. I just find it odd that my settings from before varied more than 50% and now they vary only about 25% from low 1k to high throttle. I knew the maft was finiky I should have expected this nonsense.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back