The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

LubeGard

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

96boosted

Probationary Member
Apr 5, 2003
--_United_States
From all the threads regarding ATF, it's always recommended that when using synthetic ATF or Dexron/Mercon ATF, add a bottle of the Black LubeGard. The direction says 1 oz per quart. The box also said over using LubeGard causes slippage. The capacity of the tranny is only 7.1qt, and the drain plug only drains 4qt.

What I need to know is:
A. Do I dump the whole bottle of LubeGard in there?
It's 10oz/per bottle, which would mean I'm using 140% of the recommended amount.
(10oz/7.1qt vs 7.1oz/7.1qt recommended)

B. After I've added LubeGard, on the next ATF change, because I can only drain 4 qts out of the 7.1. Do I still add another 10oz? Draining 4/7.1qt means there are still 4.4oz of the old LubeGard in the tranny mixed with old ATF. Adding another 10oz would mean I have 14.4oz of LubeGard with only 7.1qt of ATF. that's over 200% of the recommended amount.

Right now I only added 4oz of LubeGard in there after I've drained 4qts of ATF. I don't know if I need more.

-96boosted

96boosted said:
From all the threads regarding ATF, it's always recommended that when using synthetic ATF or Dexron/Mercon ATF, add a bottle of the Black LubeGard. The direction says 1 oz per quart. The box also said over using LubeGard causes slippage. The capacity of the tranny is only 7.1qt, and the drain plug only drains 4qt.

What I need to know is:
A. Do I dump the whole bottle of LubeGard in there?
It's 10oz/per bottle, which would mean I'm using 140% of the recommended amount.
(10oz/7.1qt vs 7.1oz/7.1qt recommended)

B. After I've added LubeGard, on the next ATF change, because I can only drain 4 qts out of the 7.1. Do I still add another 10oz? Draining 4/7.1qt means there are still 4.4oz of the old LubeGard in the tranny mixed with old ATF. Adding another 10oz would mean I have 14.4oz of LubeGard with only 7.1qt of ATF. that's over 200% of the recommended amount.

Right now I only added 4oz of LubeGard in there after I've drained 4qts of ATF. I don't know if I need more.

-96boosted

The capacity of your trans is more like 9 or 10 quarts, not 7.1.

Put in the whole bottle now and half a bottle on subsequent fluid changes.

-John

Thanks for the reply John. I opened the drian plug on both the pan and differential. But all I can get out is 4qts... The fluid looked burnt so I drove it with 4 new qts of fluid, then drained it again and adding 4 more qts. Besides having to take it to a tranny shop to have them flush the system, what is the best way to get rid of the burnt fluid? Run the car in neutral while the drain plug is out?

-96boosted

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back