The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

420a head gasket

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bewarethewoodsatnite

Probationary Member
Jun 14, 2015
utica, New_York
Im new here my username is based on a song, I read many posts about the 420a head gasket but have one different question, have had two 1999 elipse gs's the last one I got into a severe wreck with, both leaked oil out the head gasket but my new one also burns oil at idle only after its warmed up. I am wondering what if I pulled the last head bolt out and shortened it and put it back in do I stand a chance of stopping the internal and external leak? I hear you can not remove the bolt without removing the cams, but what if I only loosen the bolt and put a shim under it? Any help is very much appreciated I have done timing belts and head gaskets twice on one of these and am not ready for that right now, has anyone ever tried doing this as an effort to stop the leak? Please forgive my terrible grammar I am not used to forum's I have been reading here since 02 and today I finally stopped being extremely lazy and registered! Awesome site!

Last edited:
The cams r in the way and I have had a base 420a model leak oil out the head gasket I'd replace the proper way. And the back battery side the head bolt actually is not deep enough that's a chrysler mess up so I drilled my hole deeper to fix chrysler mess up u should just replace it new head gasket MLS

Head gaskets are cheap. Cheaper than cracking a head because you loosen a single bolt. Aluminum heads like to have tension from the bolts removed in reverse to the install. I do a couple heads a week, it isn't that bad. Remove only what is necessary and it will go smoothly. Mark vacuum lines with a paint marker. I like to do dots, 1 dot, 2 dots, 3 in a row, you get the idea. Real easy to make dots in hard to reach places, easier than tape. Mark both sides with same dot patterns, let dry, remove.

Edit: if you are set on doing it half ass (not meant to offend, that's just what it's called), loosen them all, then retorque. Might buy you some time until you have the time to do it right. Measure the bolts to make sure they haven't stretched, if they have buy new ones. Don't wanna have uneven torque, or you will be back to where you are now.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back