The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

420A 2gNT Apex'i Turbo Timer Install Hardwired (no harness)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So after much searching and frustration and a headache. The turbo timer is installed. Since the information seems to be out there but is completely scattered and unorganized, I thought I'd put up a how-to. Thanks to my bro who's an electrical tech/engr.

-----

How to Install an Apex’i Turbo Timer on a 2G NT
w/o an Ignition Harness

Tools Needed:
10mm Socket
Philips Screwdriver
Soldering Iron
Eutectic (63% Sn 37% Pb) Solder
Wire Cutter (or a sharp blade from a utility knife)
12-16 AWG wire
Spade Connectors

The Process:
Step 1: Disconnect the Battery!
Step 2: Disassemble Steering Console
This is straightforward. There are three screws on the lower steering console. Just pull out your trusty Philips screwdriver and take them out. Pull on the lower console until it comes loose. After you have pulled off the steering cover off, locate the starter switch to the left of the steering wheel and remove the connector (it has a blue covering).

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Locate the the IGN1 (black/white wire) and the IGN2 wire (blue/orange). You will be splicing into these two wires.

Step 3: Splice the Ignition Switch into the TT Relay

The White wire was spliced into the black/white IGN1 wire. The other end of the white wire was soldered to a spade connector and connected to the green wire terminal. The same follows for the IGN2 splice (except that the IGN2 wire goes to the blue wire terminal).

Step 4: Locate upstream O2 sensor wire and ground on the ECU
The upstream O2 sensor wire on the ECU is pin 30. It is the black/white wire. The ground wire is pin 50, is all black (with the number 50 on the connector next to it), and is located on the other bundle of wires. Here is a picture of the upstream O2 wire that was hacked up from a fudged AFC install.

Fixed O2 sensor wire:

Step 5: Wire up Apex’i O2 sensor and ground wires

Step 6: Wire in the parking brake
This is straightforward as well. Pull the center console out (there are plenty how-to’s) and locate the little green wire coming out of the parking brake. Splice into that wire with the gray/red wire from the TT.

Step 7: Clean up your install, reconnect the battery, and love your handiwork
Use the double-sided tape supplied by Apex’i. Cut 2/3 off, use the larger 2/3 strip and cut that in half. Place each half on separate sides on the bottom of the relay and stick it where you want.

The last 1/3 of the double-sided tape was used to hold the actual TT itself. A small hole was drilled to make room for the wiring.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back