The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Yokohama es 100 or Toyo Proxes 4

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kicknurass4fun

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 5, 2005
Fox Lake, Illinois
Ok searched for both of these tires and ive found information on both but none comparing the two. I dont really know to much about tires but these both seem like decent tires in the same price range. I can get the toyo proxes for 410 shipped and the yokohama es100 for 390 shipped. I want a tire with good traction all around that wont go bald fast. I know the toyos are rated with a 300 tread rating and the yokohamas a 280 so i dont know how much of a difference that would make? Whats your guys opinions? If any of you know of a better tire in the same price range please let me know. Also im using the stock 1g 16 inch rims and I am also curious as to if i would be able to fit a 225/50/16 on the stock rims?Thanks

never had the yokos.. but i have the proxie 4s as summer tires.. and they work great.. i dont do any auto crossing. Just use it as a daily driver, and some agressive driving.. The tires stick very well on dry roads, and on turns and curvy roads at high speeds. Wet roads they perform pretty well. I have them for 2 summers now, and the tire treads are still atleast 80% left..

I personally don't like the yoko's, I went from unmatched 205/55/16r tires to 235/45/17r es 100's on evo8 rims and didn't notice a HUGE difference like I expected. I figured just having four of the same tires would do wonders, but it wasn't that big of a difference. They lose traction pretty easily as well. I would spin while launching up through about 5k rpms with my little 14b and bolt on mods. I personally will be ditching them before I put my evo8 rims back on.

225 on a 6 inch wide tire might be pushing it, but you might be able to get away with it.

personally I would look into the Kumho ECSTA MX's

all depends bro. if you ask tstkl...he'll tell you im a tire whore. but the es100 suck ass imo. ive ran them, and a lot of people i know have ran them as well...they are cheap for a reason. they dont last and they dont grip. i wouldnt go 225 on the stock wheels. too fat man. the sidewalls are going to flex wayyy too much. for sure the es100's dont have a stiff sidewall. if you just want drag type tires....you dont need to worry about it. but i like a tire that will do well in the turns as well...and i dont care how good a tire you have...if the width is too wide for the wheel....the tires will roll over. the toyo's do have a wider tread width then the es100's though...9.1" to 8.9". i havent ran the toyos....but stay away from the es100. why not get someting that is a bit more grippy.

if i were you...i would not go with the 225 if you want any sort of good steering response. go 215. but if you are set on the size....go with the falken rt-615. awesome design with a huge outer tread block. they can be bought on www.vulcantires.com for $108 each. one of the grippiest tires you can buy and nothing can compare with it in that price range. if you want more wet stability...check out the hankook ventus rs-2

I haven't had them long enough to comment on wear, but as a cheap street tire with good grip in both dry and wet, I'm liking my Kumho SPTs. I stayed with a second of the SM winner at an autocross and beat several people on Rs (on a dry day, to boot).

Of course, mine are 245/40/17 on a 17x8. On a 16x6, I'd stay with 205/55/16.

- Jtoby

I've been very happy with my latest tires (Falken FK-451). They were reasonably prices at 94.00 per tire and do very well in wet or dry conditions. I have close to 4000 miles on them and they still show very little wear and grip exceeding well on launches.

Just my .02,

Andy

Thanks guys im going to look into all the tires you named. I dont do road coarse or anything like that so im mostly concerned with good traction when launching my car. Any one have any opinoins about the toyo proxes 4?

The only reason i was looking into a 225 width is for better traction when launching but i dont want to risk any problems when fitting them to the rims so i will just go with a 215s.

What about the Kuhmo MX's How do you guys like them, since everyone else has brought up other sets of tires...

i'm on my second set of toyo proxes 4's. first set was 205/55-16's on 16x7 rims and i had them on my 91gsx. i sold the car but kept the rim/tires and put them on my galant. after a while i wanted to go with something bigger so i sold those and got some 17x8 rims and 245/40-17 toyo proxes 4's.
i love them and for the price they are not bad at all.

225/50-16's will buldge out a bit on the stock 16" rims but its not a big deal unless you go autoxing or road racing every weekend or something.

and here's a chaper place to order from:

treadepot.com

only $79 a piece.

Are they just shitty period in the rain or do they not meet your guy's standards of balls to the wall still even in the rain? Are they loud like the 711's?

unlmtdndeavor said:
he'll tell you im a tire whore.
and its not like your about to deny it either....You know just as well as I do, your a tire whore. Just like I'm a sleep whore. LOL

I personally don't drive fast in the rain, (I don't drive my car period in the rain, so I guess thats not an issue, but when I do drive in the rain, all two times, I don't drive fast.) so I don't care if a tire handles well in the rain. You can get a tire designed to handle well in the rain, but in the end, you won't handle as well as you could on dry land, so whats the point? I personally only look at summer tires, since my car is a summer car.

Hey I have the Toyos on my car. I have 16" rims also and I really love these tires. They are great in the water, I have never had any problems. They have not worn down a whole lot for me too. I have had them for a little over a year and I can just start to see some wear... Great Tire!!

I have the TOYO Proxes 4 225/50/16 on my stock 5 spokers. There is very little clearance from the inside edge of the tire and the steering knuckle but I have never had a problem with rubbing. Been using them on the car for about 2 years now and I'm very pleased. A little bit of slop in the steering but the added traction makes up for it.

As far as treadlife goes, these tires don't last long. I go thru a set every six months.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back