The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

1G What trans do I have?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4gfun

Supporting VIP
Dec 10, 2007
Ask Me, Virginia
The 94 Laser RS FWD is having a transmission or clutch problem that is beyond the scope of this post.

Previous owner believes it was swapped out with a 91 Eclipse GST FWD transmission, but isn't 100% sure.

If I look at the axles from the top of the car, I can see the word "Galant" in junkyard pen.

Previous owner said to be mindful of the need to use different axles if swapping out the trans.

Thanks for any info.

It is anyone's guess. I would look for the trans code myself. It will likely contain W5M33. There will be numbers and letters after that identify your particular trans. Do not go off what someone wrote on it.

Thanks, but the Axles themselves say Galant. I was wondering if that fact alone might help identify what tranny might be in there.

Not opposed at looking at the code, but I am at work right now.

Axles don't really help except that it would help to verify (not necessarily prove) your story of the '94 tranmission being swapped for pre-'92. And for a FWD manual transmission, the code will contain F5M##. The ## will be 33 if it is a turbo transmission.

The serial code is located on the transmission here:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Is this the top of the trans, hard to tell from the pics. Will it be easily visible without pulling the trans?

Thanks

I was able to see it from the top of the transmission. It is somewhat obstructed by wiring etc.

I found the best way to see the numbers was to spray brake clean on it, then hurry up and read it while it is wet.

KF5M332SPZV Line 1

LM9013 Line 2

They should all be f5m33. It's the next four letters that are important. Earlier fed turbo axles were smaller than 93 94. That may be an issue. I assume you are turbo.

Do you mean that all "turbo" trannies should be f5m33? What do the next 4 letters mean?

What is the issue with the earlier fed axles as it pertains to this car? I am turbo.

Thanks

My 90 Laser fwd turbo also has the KF5M33 trans. The benefit of the earlier smaller axles, is the ability to swap to AWD equal length axles.

...KF5M332SPZV Line 1...

That means you have confirmed what the previous owner told you. It is a '91 or '92 turbo transmission. Because of the axle size difference -- i.e., the larger axles in '93 and '94 FWD turbo models versus other 1Gs -- that transmission required smaller axles, hence the "Galant" axles.

KF5M33 is consistent with an early model 1g turbo fwd dsm.
All -- both 1G and 2G -- manual FWD turbo transmissions are coded with "KF5M33", as Paul pointed out. For 1Gs: eagle talon AWD tsi 91 or 90 ?

This is very awesome, thanks. Couldn't have done it without you!

Where does the "problem" that Paul mentioned come into play? I assume he meant power handling capacity?

If so, I am not too worried about that. This car is quickly taking on a low boost/power DD agenda!

One last thing. I searched around and think that I have the answer...but while I have you all here......

If previous owner put this tranny in as opposed to the one that is supposed to the original, did the original shifter cables/shifter need to be swapped out as well or are they identical?

My searches show that the cables are all identical in this scenario, but wanted to check here first!

I am having some tranny/clutch issues beyond the scope of this post and wanted to rule that out.

Thanks!

Where does the "problem" that Paul mentioned come into play? I assume he meant power handling capacity?
@pauleyman would have to answer this for you as I'm not sure what he's referring to outside of compatibility.

If previous owner put this tranny in as opposed to the one that is supposed to the original, did the original shifter cables/shifter need to be swapped out as well or are they identical?
Cables, shifter, and shifter base were the same between 1991-1994.

All -- both 1G and 2G -- manual FWD turbo transmissions are coded with "KF5M33", as Paul pointed out. For 1Gs: eagle talon AWD tsi 91 or 90 ?

Also my 91 fwd turbo auto transmission has the F4A33 code ,don't no the last four off hand tho LOL to bad I'm not awd tho haha annnnd my car is n/a now :/

Last edited:
Problem meaning the axles arent interchangeable. Just as well half the parts houses get it wrong anyway.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back