The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

Somebody hit my Lambo

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cl1ckclack said:
Has anyone mentioned just buying a new front quarter panel and painting it???

Unnecessary.

The metal was bent from a specific location and only in one direction. Since it hasn't been stretched you can bend it back with no problem.

I had a fender smash up on my 2g when the wheel bearing went and sent the wheel flying into the fender and then proceeded right out to the opposite lane LOL.

New fender cost me ~$90 shipped primered black already. If you really wanna be cheap you can rattle can the new fender black sand it down a few times with 1500-2000 grit discs in between coats and 2-3 coats of clear after and you're done.

Then throw a nice wax/buff job on the whole car and BOOM back to looking brand new and shiny just like it came off the lot....

....and you saved yourself ~$1500 and in the process gained "some" paint skill knowledge. :]

Just remember... nobody does as good a job on "YOUR" car when it comes to fixes/mods as you can when you put the time and effort in... unless you're just lazy/ignorant :thumb:

Good luck man

Unnecessary.

The metal was bent from a specific location and only in one direction. Since it hasn't been stretched you can bend it back with no problem.

From the sounds of it, it would be a lot cheaper than paying a body shop to fix his...

Just throw a different fender on it. And sticker-bomb the #### out of it. That'll be hella cool yo.

Mine happened over night. Had a girl wheel into the spot next to mine not paying attention and hit the edge of my open door. Opened and closed the door several times to see if everything was ok and properly aligned no problems. Next morning I go to get in it and bam door won't open because its hitting the fender. So yep it can happen over night.

It can also happen just from leaning on the fender. I got a 94 talon dl for free one of the fenders was like that. I was able to repair the fender. But yours looks to be worse than mine.

I got hit while driving my dad's talon. I did have some slight damage to the door, put the fender got pushed in. I removed the molding on the fender and removed the fender. I laid it on a blanket and pushed the dent back out. Little by little I tweeked it by hand, test fitting it, until I got it about 95% back to normal. Touched up the scratches and kept the money from insurance. I do plan to have the whole car painted, but he doesn't care, its more of a beater for him. So, if your handy, try repairing it yourself, adjusting the fender and door gap and touching up the chipped paint.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's just the way I am with this car. My pinkish bov kills me every time I pop the hood just to give a example. That freaking red battery too.

Matco is bullshit. They just tape off and paint, which in my book is a shitty job in itself. PM ME I have a 93 talon parts car. Il have to double check, but the fender is in good condition and primerd already. We might work something out. You could drive with that ####ed up on until you get the other one painted.

Either way good luck! Someone could have been using a lockout kit to try and get into it.

What I have heard about Maaco, is that it depends on the LOCATION you are in. Some are good some are not. However, the overall concensus is to not use them. I wouldn't pay $2000 either though. I know you are picky, I am too. But why not just replace the panel? Might not be necessary but it might be more cost effective.

I just got a quote to paint my front bumper for $300 + cost of paint. This is for TOP notch work. However my bumper is banged up and at the end of the day I would have a fresh paint job on my banged up bumper :cry:.

So I can buy a brand new bumper for about $100 already primered, and take it to the same place to get painted for less than half the cost in labor. And now I have an extra bumper that I can fix myself and maybe even try to paint it one day.

Unnecessary.

I agree, If you have tools and some skill you could very well pull it out or maybe even open the door and pull the fender out with your hands and start saving for a pro to do the job. It won't cost you but some time, well worth it if you ask me. :hmm:

To the people saying that Maaco sucks..

My Talon before:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Talon to Eclipse (After Maaco paint job):

Most people have problems because they choose their $300 paint service which obviously is going to suck. You get what you pay for. I had the base coat clear coat service done and I took the bumpers, side skirts, sunroof, and mirrors off so they can paint those separately. All in all with a few dings removed plus the work on the hatch for the eclipse wing, I paid close to $1000 and it still shined awesome until the day I sold it. (2 years plus)

oneslowwdsm said:
To the people saying that Maaco sucks..

My Talon before:

Talon to Eclipse (After Maaco paint job):

Most people have problems because they choose their $300 paint service which obviously is going to suck. You get what you pay for. I had the base coat clear coat service done and I took the bumpers, side skirts, sunroof, and mirrors off so they can paint those separately. All in all with a few dings removed plus the work on the hatch for the eclipse wing, I paid close to $1000 and it still shined awesome until the day I sold it. (2 years plus)

Your logic is flawed. You can play in traffic and not get run over, that doesn't make it safe.

Maaco has a crappy reputation for a reason.

huhh? I just told you why Maaco has a crappy reputation. And FYI, before they even start the $300-$600 paint service they explain to you that it may not come out perfect and that it is just a temporary paint job for you to either sell the car or repaint it at a later time.

They even told me before my paint job that it might not come out perfect but they will fix anything that I do not like so my logic is not flawed. Even dealerships sometimes mess up cars but they stand by their work and redo it if anything goes wrong, just like Maaco if it is the higher end paint job.

And I just posted proof that they are capable of amazing work.

2 stage paint (paint then clear coat) is always better than 1 stage paint (paint and clear together) because of the layers of the paint = more protection because when you do 2 stage there are multiple layers and the 1 stage has one. Also the 1 stage makes it look cloudy and doesn't wax as fine where stage 2 (do to the multi layers) makes the paint look like glass because of the separation in the coats. And honestly if you find a good painter for a good price you shouldn't have to paint the whole car cause they can fade the paint to match the car but if you can't find that amazing person paint the whole car because people don't remember that we all have 13+ year old cars and the factory paint fades and you don't want to look odd with new fender and old rest of the car LOL.

(Would like to apologize cause im on 24hr cq shift and may have been redundant or rambled on from being tired)

Also it may be possible for you to go to the local community collage that teaches auto tech and you personally buy the paint and let them paint it for you. I did it for the wifes car and it looks fine. And was MUCH cheaper!

2 stage paint (paint then clear coat) is always better than 1 stage paint (paint and clear together) because of the layers of the paint = more protection because when you do 2 stage there are multiple layers and the 1 stage has one.
Explain how two coats of base and two coats of clear is any less-protective than two coats of single-stage. The base is your color-coat only, it has nothing to do with durability whatsoever. If you buff through the clear you have a major problem on your hands.

Also the 1 stage makes it look cloudy and doesn't wax as fine where stage 2 (do to the multi layers) makes the paint look like glass because of the separation in the coats.
Tell that to Toyota/Lexus, BMW, and a handful of other auto brands who choose single-stage on all of their solid (non-metallic) colors.

Single-stage Urethane is the same paint as base/clear without spending the additional money on clearcoat. It will generate the same finish as base/clear on any non-metallic color.

Steer clear of Maaco, by the way. They're cheaper for a reason.

I have always lived by the rule that you get what you pay for. If you want something quick and cheap its not going to last. Plain and simple.

Matco makes tools.

You knew exactly what I meant. Enjoy your vacation.

We had a guy down here people would pay 3000+ for.paint. and he would take it to maaco, have it painted and people loved it LOL. I learned to do a proper paint job on a whole car everything that can come off needs to come off, I.E lights, bumpers etc. But that's just how o was taught. Different strokes for different folks I guess. Offer for the fender is still on the table. Let me know, its about to go to the crusher. :(

We had a guy down here people would pay 3000+ for.paint. and he would take it to maaco, have it painted and people loved it LOL. I learned to do a proper paint job on a whole car everything that can come off needs to come off, I.E lights, bumpers etc. But that's just how o was taught. Different strokes for different folks I guess. Offer for the fender is still on the table. Let me know, its about to go to the crusher. :(

That sucks that someone was doing that. I always make sure I use a reputable shop and I am one of those a*holes that will stop in frequently to see how progress is coming on my car when its getting painted/worked on. I am sure the guys that work on it hate that, but its my car and my money so I am going to make sure its done right.

Bmw is different than the maco paint that is single stage and as far as I know when I painted my e 36 m3 they were using multi layer paint. And as I thought was stated above that maaco only was doing one coat of single stage paint. Again I apologize for being tired and will post a better response after some much needed rest. But still LOL you dint have anything bad to say about the community college idea! So ha ha ha ha ha!

That dont look like someone hit your car...

My 1gb had the same issue. See pic below.

After some major body work I just repainted my car with the help of my little bro last week.

This seem s to be a notorious issues with 1g's.

A bit off topic but I saw this car for sale on craigslist for awhile this last spring when I was looking for a GVR4. Did you just buy it or were you trying to sell it?

Bmw is different than the maco paint that is single stage and as far as I know when I painted my e 36 m3 they were using multi layer paint. And as I thought was stated above that maaco only was doing one coat of single stage paint. Again I apologize for being tired and will post a better response after some much needed rest. But still LOL you dint have anything bad to say about the community college idea! So ha ha ha ha ha!

Hey man. What unit are you in? I was stationed at ft.bliss (biggs airfield side) in 2-1 AD. In 1-1 CAV. About a year ago.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back