The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

seeking advice wiseman please help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alex777

Probationary Member
Jan 17, 2011
san diego, California
Okay, I have a shell that I want to put my motor and awd tranny into that is currently in a diff car. What I would like to know is what are the correct steps to swapping everythig over? I do need to swap the harness as well,
thanks for the help

Well first off, we need to know where the motor and trans is from, and what kind of shell you want to put it in.

The motor and stuff is currently in a 98 gsx swapping into a 99 gsx shell
Im sorry I should have made that clear

Last edited:
It does but it isn't usable because the engine bay had caught on fire and some stuff was melted so to answer your question no it doesn't, I have to rip that one out and replace with mine im just wondering in what order should I remove things from the 98 and in what order do I put them into the 99

If it caught fire I would swap the harness to, no point chasing electrical gremlins later on. 98 to 99 is all the same basically should be fairly straight forward.

Use a camera or cell phone to take pictures of all the connections before you start removing anything. Makes it a lot easier to make sure they're back in the right spot. Pulling the engine/tranny is pretty straight forward. Get plastic bags and put the bolts in as you remove them. Label them to help determining which bolt goes where when you put it back together.

After the motor/tranny is out, take more pictures of the wiring harness. Then just follow the pictures to swap out the new harness. Time consuming but fairly easy job.

Remove the transfer case before attempting to pull the engine.

Other members have answered your question here but the simple fact is that 98s and 99s are largely identical and in your case there should be no differences worth mentioning. Replace any damaged parts and move on.

I would however like to stress that you should have chosen a different title for your thread. I am not meaning to jump down your throat on this but you will receive better help faster if your titles are descriptive of the sort of question that the thread contains. Asking directly for wiseman help especially for a question like this that can be answered by a large majority of experience members actually discourages people from answering your questions and causes members that may have insightful responses to skip over your questions. Even more importantly this sort of title is meaningless for someone who uses the search button to find the same information.

Good luck with the swap.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back