The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

420A NVT-350 fluid

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burnstyle

Probationary Member
Apr 17, 2008
Anderson, South_Carolina
I have been reading about the recommended fluid for the 420a transmission, everything I have read says to use the Mopar fluid for NTV-350 transaxles.

When I went to the dealer to buy this, the manager of the parts dept told me that it was ONLY for the AWD transmission, and actually refused to sell it to me. He said to use a 75w 90 gear oil.

Have I been reading wrong, or is the parts guy wrong?

The parts department has chart for gear lubes of transmissions and rear ends. Trust me i used it may time while working in the parts dept of a chrysler dealership. Just ask to see the chart if your unsure.

The only fluid you should be using is Chrysler licensed ATF+4. I got mine at Wal-Mart for around 5 bucks, LOL

Advance and the zone have them also.

At one point New Venture Gear (manufacturers of the NV-T350) had a special fluid they recommended for use with the NV-T350. Eventually, Chrysler (or whoever made it) stopped producing the stuff in favor of a new ATF-4 fluid that works equally well for the NV-T350 as well as several Chrysler automatic transmissions.

So, yes, Chrysler ATF-4 is for automatic transmissions, but also the NV-T350 M/T.

It's good that you are cautious about the fluid you put in the transmission ... Chryslers are picky! ATF +4 Synthetic Blend is the only way to go. I know for a fact that Quaker State says right on the bottle that it is acceptable for use in the following vehicles....blah blah CHRYSLER VEHICLES blah blah

amsoil syncromesh works well also

That's a little controversial... Let me preface this comment by saying that I have had Pennzoil Syncromesh in my transmission for almost five years now with no ill effects. Regardless, Chrysler ATF-4 is the only recommended fluid for the NV-T350 -- all others should be used "at your own risk." Some say any non-recommended fluid will break down the organic synchro liners; I can't comment definitively until I inspect my own transmission.

Just to keep from regurgitating, let me post up a link to read.

www.neons.org • View topic - atf+4 for mtx?

Pay close attention to what "mach 1 terry" has to say on page 3 and 4.

This subject is constantly bantied about in many different forums. My experience is the Amsoil feels the best (in smooth shifting) and the ATF feels the worst (purely just a cost cutting measure by Mitsu, in my mind. Otherwise, why would they have had the $15 a quart spec'ed out for so long and then, just like that, changed it to an automatic fluid).

Have fun reading.

MB

I have a NVT-350 manual transmission and it requires Chrysler ATF+4. It's all I've ever used with no problems. Put ANYTHING else in there and you can kiss your transmission goodbye.This is critical. Use only ATF +4 from Mopar unless you had the trans rebuilt with brass synchro's. Gear lube will eat the lining on the Synchro.The factory synchro's have a fiber type lining that is very much like the lining on an automatic trans clutch plate.

-DsMgIrL078

I have a NVT-350 manual transmission and it requires Chrysler ATF+4. It's all I've ever used with no problems. Put ANYTHING else in there and you can kiss your transmission goodbye.This is critical. USe only ATF +4 from mopar unless you had the trans rebuilt with brass synchro's. Gear lube will eat the lining on the Synchro.The factory synchro's have a fiber type lining that is very much like the lining on an automatic trans clutch plate.

-DsMgIrL078

Refer to the link in the post above yours and go to page 4, 5th post down.

Just to keep from regurgitating, let me post up a link to read.

www.neons.org • View topic - atf+4 for mtx?

Pay close attention to what "mach 1 terry" has to say on page 3 and 4.

This subject is constantly bantied about in many different forums. My experience is the Amsoil feels the best (in smooth shifting) and the ATF feels the worst (purely just a cost cutting measure by Mitsu, in my mind. Otherwise, why would they have had the $15 a quart spec'ed out for so long and then, just like that, changed it to an automatic fluid).

Have fun reading.

MB

So after reading your link seems like the Amsoil SMTX is the way to go. Where can you buy it? How do you find a local sales rep? Do you think if you added some to the factory fluid it would cause a problem?

Refer to the link in the post above yours and go to page 4, 5th post down.

-To each their own, I put Amsoil in my car once and it felt horrible and wouldn't go into gear sometimes. Put ATF+4 back in and no more problems since. I think it's really just a matter of personal preference and what tranny fluid to use will be an endless battle. :thumb:

Been using Pennzoil Synchromesh in my '97 GS for a couple years now- not one ill effect. I change it a little sooner than the regular service interval, but the trans has always shifted butter-smooth...especially in cold weather.

Sorry about that thought I could get away with a quick response, I checked out the evolution site I'm not a fan of there layout... But I don't spend much time on my lancer most of my attention goes to my DSM anyhow..

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back