The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Nomal EGT Temps

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slanted J

Supporting VIP
Feb 19, 2002
Janesville, Wisconsin
I did do a search, but could not find anything under "exhaust temps" and "EGT" was not allowed, as it is only three letters long.

I installed my EGT gauge this weekend and found that just cruising down the highway (3000 rpm), my temp was around 1500 F. Is this a bit high for that particular rpm? At WOT the temp stays a bit under 1600 F, which is good from what I can gather. Its just the curising temps that I'm unsure of.

Thanx,

Jon

Check out this link. Ive been told that you can go over 900c for brief periods but you should stay under 900c during normal conditions. Im not sure how that converts to 'F' as you asked in your original post. Break out the old HS science book and find out the conversion ratio and you should be able to compare.

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/marctech/2000_10.htm

The ecu will constanly try to lean it out as much as possible at steady cruise to get the best gas mileage. It is not uncommon on a properly tuned engine to have higher Cruise EGT's than at WOT.

mine at 60 mph on flat ground was reading 950-1000
up a steep hill at same speed it would jump to 1100-1150

a good place to go for farenheit conversion is www.weather.com and check out your local weather. You'll see a small calculation box to change farenheit to celcius or vise versa.

all you got to do is plug in the numbers and its calculated for you.

I typically see 780-800C cruising at around 80MPH. The highest I have seen at WOT is like 860C. I think you are safe above 900C, but I wouldn't go there for prolonged pd like that link states. Thats when you start to melt stuff LOL. If you do notice that your EGT's are rising fast, get off the boost because in all liklihood, your knocking and your ECU is pulling timing.

Just remember, heat alone isn't always piston killer. LOAD plus heat will do nasty ****. Load as in when you are WOT. Cruising there is very little load on the engine.

farnehiet dork boy!

flat out balls to the wall on 110 octane and 24 psi in 4th gear it never got above 1450 f

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back