The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

No spark on CYL 1 and 4

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dragrush

15+ Year Contributor
May 1, 2004
North, Louisiana
Out of nowhere the engine started to misfire...later found Cylinder 1 and 4 have no spark but 2 and 3 do.

While driving the tach was acting a little goofy...seemed to read lower than what it really was. Driving on 2 cyl might of had something to do with it

While turning the key in the ignition, it doesn't always turn over (starter does not spin)....all I hear is a buzz in the dash, dont hear the CAS make any sounds

If I turn the key fast/repeatability it will start, but of course misfire. Not sure if the starting issue is related, cause it was doing that for about a week before the no spark issue

New plugs/wires gaped properly. good coils. everything is plugged in
Not throwing any codes

Im thinking power transistor or CAS
Any one know from these symptoms that can help me pinpoint the issue?

My guess is power transistor. Mine used to do it when it was warm on a long highway cruise.

Where is this power transistor located? Sounds a lot like a problem I am having.

On a 2G it is bolted to the runners of the intake manifold between coil packs and the throttle body, between fuel rail and the plenum of the intake manifold. The harness connector is about 2" wide with 7 wires.

Thanks for the replies everyone...I fixed the problem...it was a cracked wire in the harness to the coil pack.

One more question now.
There is a wire I accidentally broke off and cant fix thats on the coil pack...it goes to a little black box connected on one of the coils...anyone know what that part may be for? Or know what Im talking about Is it necessary, seems to run fine without it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back