The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

1G no RPM gauge, noise filter/tacho module ? Need part #'s for both

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShadeTreeDSM

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 16, 2005
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
i have a 1990 eclipse awd. my tachometer doesnt work and ive read that the noise filter on is famous for going bad, so ive been looking around and couldnt find any info on it, also called mitsubishi and they have no clue what part that is and cant find it, i looked at the diagrams of the ignition system that they showed me and it doesnt show up in there, only noise filter i saw was the one on the fire wall near the wiper motor. i know the noise filter on the firewall is retangular and has the 2 pin connector on it. any one know what the part # is or where i can find one, or make my stock tach work !! :cry:

The noise filter is part of the ecu harness, you cant just buy one, go to a salvage yard and cut off what you need, resolder it.

I am almost certain the filter for the tachometer is located on the intake manifold bracket.

My best guess on the part number is MB542494.

100215d1252427246-why-my-tach-needle-jumping-merged-9-9-tachometer-jump-noisefilter013.jpg

It's attached here.

76367d1189823025-whats-sensor-sensor-3.jpg

The noise filter is part of the ecu harness, you cant just buy one, go to a salvage yard and cut off what you need, resolder it.

uhh no its not part of the harness, its has a connector on it, you must be thinking of something else

ShadeTreeDSM said:
my tach doesnt work and hasnt worked since i got my car over 2 years ago. i have some of it wired up, let me describe to you what i did. One day my car wouldnt start and it ended up being my PT, so i looked around for one and couldnt find one so i went to the junk yard and could only find 91+ PT's, so i got it and wired it in and car runs fine, only 2 wires i left out were the White wire and black/white wire (VB wire ?). i still have everthing else 1990 hooked up, Noise filter, Tach-o interface module, 90 tach and i think i have a 1991 coil in it but im not sure. No i have a AVC-R boost controller in my car, the tach signal works on that but how come not on my dash ? ive tried another dash. What am i doing wrong ? what do i need to wire up to make it work ? its killing me, i saw this post

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/art...4-ecu-swap-into-1990-dsm-ignition-wiring.html

also this

Convert your 90 to a 91 - My Pro Street

what do i need to do?

As discussed in many threads, the 90 cars generate their ignition pulse signal at the tach adapter on the bottom of the coil pack. That's why they have a 4 pin connector vs the 3 pin connector on the 91+ coils. The extra pin is the ignition pulse signal from the coil pack. That wire runs to the unique 90 noise filter where it splits, the unfiltered signal going onto the ECU pin 109 and the filtered signal to the gauge cluster to drive the tach.

On the 91 cars the ignition pulse signal is generated in the power transistor module and runs to both the ECU and gauge cluster. So the 91+ PTM has two extra pins, the ignition pulse signal and a power feed for the circuit that generates it. The actual ignition pulse signal is different between the two versions but I haven't scoped then to describe the differences and can just note that the 90 docs say it's an "OR" of the two coil drive outputs and the 91+ is a "NOR". The gauge clusters seem to be sensitive to this difference, requiring a matching meter to the type.

I'm sorry that I can't provide any additional information. The first thing I'd do is verify exactly what your running and how you have it wired including your ECU.

I apologize that this is 2 years old, but I'm having a major issue and I believe it's related to the rpm signal. My car is a 90 gst, it beaks up or loses power on the top end and randomly hits what feels to be fuel cut at waste gate pressure on a 14b. My ECU was just rebuilt by ECMTuning, so I've tested a d replaced everything. Im now running a MAFt, after installing it at my buddies house we went riding around tuning it, I still had the cut issue, so I tried the ECU out of his 91 talon and it pulled hard except the tach went screwy. So I figured it could be the ECU so I contacted ECM and being the super helpful guy that Thomas is he sent me another 90 ECU to try. It did the same exact thing! So after many searches and more testing I believe it is almost definantly an RPM problem because the maf translator loses RPM signal as soon as it starts to break up, so is there anything I can do to narrow this down? The coil and transistor was replaced, wired in a black top CAS, changed TPS and adjusted, don't know what else to do.

Last edited:
i have a 90 ecu and a brand new 90 coil pack if you want to drive over to test the issue. i dont have a spare noise filter though

Thank you but theres 2 problems with that LOL, one i moved down to Philadelphia for school and 2 i replaced the coil and ECM sent me another ECU to try both made no change, ive tested and replaced practically everything, the rpm flter is my last guess. so im going to start looking for one of those.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back