The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

2G New Starter Clicking

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Project97GST

Proven Member
May 24, 2017
Pekin, Illinois
I have looked around numerous places on the forum and the complexity of my issue here causes me to create a new post. After completing my rebuild and turning the key I found out I had bought a awd flywheel and not the fwd I needed( The starter only spun). So after swapping them yesterday I turned the key and my starter clicked maybe broken right? So I bought a new one and replaced it today. Same problem. Swapped batteries and also tried jumping it, but just one click everytime. I have checked the connections and all are good. I cleaned all terminals, and checked the harness visually for issues. I am not sure what else to do. I have yet to use a multimeter but I am just at a loss of what to do. Any help is appreciated!

FWD 161651 Fidanza Flywheel
FWD starter plate
FWD starter

Pull the starter back out and do a bench test with jumper cables to the starter. Ground to the starter body, hot to the big lug. Jump the big lug to the small terminal and hold on tight, it should kick out AND spin. If it works out of the car then you have another problem unfortunately as if something is getting jammed. Give the thing a test on its own and check back with the results please.

If your bench test proves your starter good...would definitely break out the multimeter and check things out... obviously start at the wires to your starter and work your way back and if still no luck...check your ignition out...don't remember which wire is your power out but had the same problem with my last dsm and the ignition had gone bad. Let us know!

Before I installed this starter it worked when bench tested, so right now I am trying everything I can before trying the multimeter. Is there anything this car has that may keep it from firing like other cars do? Aka a loose gas cap or something. The quick replies are appreciated guys. Wish I could just push start this thing but considering its a fresh buid idk if it would start anyway

A multimeter is the first tool I reach for when troubleshooting starters, not the last. You can get one at harbor freight for 6 bucks, or even free with the right coupon. I have used that particular CenTech meter myself. It works great, except the probes are crappy and will eventually break (can be replaced with quality probes). I realize electrical circuits can be baffling at first, but knowing your way around them is an indispensable tool. There are tons of videos out there, but here is one that I thought was fairly clear.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I will have to try out the multimeter tomorrow, time is hard to find with all the work this car always needs. Thanks for the video and such though it helps a ton! I will let you guys know what the outcome and issue is when I figure it out.

I have looked around numerous places on the forum and the complexity of my issue here causes me to create a new post. After completing my rebuild and turning the key I found out I had bought a awd flywheel and not the fwd I needed( The starter only spun). So after swapping them yesterday I turned the key and my starter clicked maybe broken right? So I bought a new one and replaced it today. Same problem. Swapped batteries and also tried jumping it, but just one click everytime. I have checked the connections and all are good. I cleaned all terminals, and checked the harness visually for issues. I am not sure what else to do. I have yet to use a multimeter but I am just at a loss of what to do. Any help is appreciated!

FWD 161651 Fidanza Flywheel
FWD starter plate
FWD starter
S
SORRY TO BEAT A DEAD HORSE BUT ARE YOU GETTING POWER TO THE STARTER?

By the sound of a clicking I clearly am getting power to the starter, having yet to use a meter I don't know if it has enough voltage. It honestly seems like I bought another faulty starter because of the click but I just am not sure.
After you put the starter in see if you can turn the motor by hand .

And also, yes I have turned the motor by hand after installing the flywheel. i have pulled the wheel and spun it using a hang inch drive on the crank, and also moving the car in second gear.

Check your connections back to the battery/ground thoroughly, I had problems with the plastic tab not holding and would work itself loose. (Sorry just read that u did that)Also check cas. After my swap the cas died almost immediately.

Are you sure you have a starter problem? You mentioned rebuild, I assume motor not tranny, is this the first attempt to get the car started since? If so there's a good chance your problem lay elsewhere if the bench test is good.

Check your connections back to the battery/ground thoroughly, I had problems with the plastic tab not holding and would work itself loose. (Sorry just read that u did that)Also check cas. After my swap the cas died almost immediately.

Are you sure you have a starter problem? You mentioned rebuild, I assume motor not tranny, is this the first attempt to get the car started since? If so there's a good chance your problem lay elsewhere if the bench test is good.

Would a bad cas or cps cause the car not to throw the starter correctly? I wouldn't think so but idk. Also yes fresh 6 bolt, the tranny was on my 7 bolt before. This is the first time trying the motor. I just can't get my starter to do it's job.

Also the motor spins by hand and the flywheel is the correct fwd one and the starter plate is also a fwd plate

look at vid above and use a multimeter--get that info first

a multimeter is your best friend here-all other things are secondary you need to see if power is there or not

Alright once I get home from work i will do that amd report my findings because it is the obvious best way to find out the issue. Just was sick of climbing under the car after spending days dropping in the new motor and then tranny and blah blah dsm stuff.

So after using the multimeter I found that the positive wire leading from the battery to the starter wasn't supplying enough voltage even while being jumped by a HEMI v8. Turns out it was actually fractured and corroded under the plastic. So I have to replace that easy fix! Thanks everyone who chimed in with help.

Happy for you too!. It's the simple maintenance things that keep them up!
Check any other usual stuff too. Make it all new and the car will love you!

So even though I fixed that cable it still did the same thing. Odd right? Well after inspecting my clutch pedal because I was going to try and disable the sensor, I find the pins that push on them are gone! I don't understand how or why but they were gone. Slide in some bolts and nuts into those spaces and boom she is cranking. These cars really are a mystery.

So even though I fixed that cable it still did the same thing. Odd right? Well after inspecting my clutch pedal because I was going to try and disable the sensor, I find the pins that push on them are gone! I don't understand how or why but they were gone. Slide in some bolts and nuts into those spaces and boom she is cranking. These cars really are a mystery.
Easier to just disable the switch. If the bolts are a temporary solution just unplug the switch.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back