The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Mystery manual trans with auto rear diff?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zaebst

20+ Year Contributor
Feb 19, 2003
Grand Rapids, Michigan
I recently picked up a 95 awd which shortly after acquiring I realized was swapped from manual to auto. It shifts decent so no big deal right? Well I was looking over the underside one day and saw the rear diff was a JFB 3.307. I later did the old trick to verify the cover is correct and it does still have an auto rear. I panicked til I saw the stamping on the trans and got even more confused. The trans is a W5M332MMZL. I've only found a couple of threads that speculated this trans is an RVR trans. One would assume it has a 3.545 ratio like nearly everything else manual but nobody seems to know for sure.

The question is, is there any scenario anybody can think of where a manual trans would work with an auto 3.307 rear diff? The car drives fine and I tried turning the wheels while off the ground and it's definitely turning both front and rear so hopefully the center diff isn't destroyed. I feel silly asking this but I've found such little information I need to know for sure before I start tearing this thing apart for no reason.

That would be awesome if that is the case but everything I've read is either 3.545 or 3.909

It's 3.545.
What transfer case does it have? The RVR TC is functionally the same as the 97-99 DSM. So, unless it has some really weird case swapped in, my bet is that the viscous coupler isn't liking this.

Last edited:
That's what I'm thinking Canadian_CD9A. I'm working on getting a 3.545 rear and plan to change the fluids and hope for the best.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back