The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

MD emission advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EclpzLvr97

20+ Year Contributor
Oct 3, 2002
Howard county, Maryland
Hey MD people.

I am moving to MD from VA and I have a '97 turbo'd RS. The emissions have been removed from the car and it's quite modded.

In fact- it's not even back together yet. I'm not sure what to do. It did not need emissions test where it was in Chesterfield, VA.

-Should I go ahead and change my insurance on it from VA to MD? For the time, I have a "dual" policy for it being in VA while my Nissan is in MD...that makes it kinda expensive.

-Should I wait till it runs to register it or do I need to tell MD's DMV about it now?

-Will getting emissions test passed be hard or do you know anyone who will just pass it (or take side money to pass it)?

-Is it the safety inspection that is just once when you first register it?

Any help is appreciated!

Hey Nikki its dee i would leave it registered in va cause it will not pass emissions in MD without the emissions related things that it is missing.just my two cents

Do not register your car before it's running. When you do that, it starts what I call the "emissions clock". That's when they send you a notice in the mail about the vehicle's emissions needing to be tested. Do yourself a favor. Take your turbo off and run it through with a stock exhaust. A lot of us in Maryland keep a stock exhaust system handy because the emissions tyrants sometimes won't allow you to pass with modified exhaust. Make sure you have a catalytic converter! If not: automatic failure. Here's the process in Maryland:

1. Go to MVA
2. Turn in VA tags (if you haven't already), get a set of MD hard plates that expire in approximately 30 days. This is your tag which allows you to drive to and from a MD State Inspection Station. You will need proof of insurance in order to get the plates from the MVA.
3. Go to the nearest inspection station. They will write up a huge list of things wrong with the car (they always do!!). Make sure you let them know that you have your own mechanic (even if you don't!). This lets them know that they don't have a chance in hell of you paying them to fix all the silly things that they claim is wrong with your car, and that should make the list a little shorter.
4. Fix whatever is wrong.
5. Take it back. They will re-inspect and write your inspection sticker.
6. Take the white copy of the inspection sticker to the MVA, then they'll sell you the "year" sticker for your plates. You're now registered for 2 years.
7. Don't forget! The emissions letter should be arriving soon! If not, consider yourself lucky.

This is the only time you will have to have your car inspected in Maryland as long as you own the vehicle. Emissions is due every 2 years. Registration expires every 2 years. Hope this helps! Any more questions, just ask!:laser:

Yep, When I had mine inspected from DE to MD it was a real PITA because MD does whats called a "safty inspection" basiclly ripping your car apart. I failed it at an inspection station in Rockville MD for my rims being not stock which was BS and then took it out in the sticks to a inspection station and it passed.

Thanks for the info so far guys.

Yeah- you're right, I'll definitely just not even do anything until it's running again. No point anyway.

I would imagine I'll have no problem passing the one-time safety inspection. It's just the emissions I wonder about.

My roommate has been living here for about 3 years and still runs MS plates & keeps it registered in MS. But it is insured for his MD address. He says every time he's been pulled over, they only "warn" him about changing over his plates. That's a thought, but I dunno just yet.

I'm thinking with enough searching/luck, I'll find someone to pay to pass her. Or maybe it'll turn out kinda 'lax and they'll just pass the car and not look for emissions equipment.

Well the emissions are only done at the state run facilities so there is no way they will over look anything. Very to the point with emissions inspections. No way around this one.

The saftey inspection is a different story. You can take that any private station that does inspections. Dress the part and talk cars, impress them that the chic has some knowledge and isn't a dumb broad. They may overlook somethings if they are intriqued by you.

You will need the emissions in place to pass the safty inspection as well as the emissions test. MD does go over the car and check everything, as the only time it gets inspected is when the car is titled. You said the car is a, 97 right? If so as long as the Check engine light is not and no codes in the computer then you should pass as its an OBD2 car and all they do is scan the computer, I have not seen them pop the hood on an OBD2 car, I aways go on Saturday in the AM when there busy and just wanting to get the cars out,

gixrman
Yep, When I had mine inspected from DE to MD it was a real PITA because MD does whats called a "safty inspection" basiclly ripping your car apart. I failed it at an inspection station in Rockville MD for my rims being not stock which was BS and then took it out in the sticks to a inspection station and it passed

I like to know more about this, as there are some ways that rims will fail inpection.

BTW I am a MD inspector

My rims are DOT legal 19" rims, he stated that the rims had to be stock size, I itold hims as long as the ride height of the tire is the same as stock they were legal. He was just trying to get money out of me and was throwing alot of BS my way like the brakes were bad and the rotors were warped blah blah blah. When when I asked him to show me he refused. I had just installed new brakes a week ago. So I told him to get my car off the lift and I was reporting him to the BBB.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back