The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

Maintenance list

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mainerdsm

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 16, 2009
Portland, Maine
Ok... So I've read so many thread's of newbie's asking what they should do to thier car's first. So I thought well first thing they need to do is mantaince. SOOOO here is what should be done when you get your dsm (for the newbie's)
Link's on how to do some of these are at the bottom.
- Plug NGK BPR6ES @ .028 gap
- Plug wire's Any that aren't arcing or of poor design
- Oil Which includes engine, transmission along with if applicapable transfer case and rear diff.
- Oil filter Higher micron number the better filtration
- Coolant
- Timing Belt Kit Full OEM kit with the belt, both pulleys and hydraulic tensioner . Balance shaft belt if it's still on the car.
- Water pump Can use auto part store brand
- Air filter K&N or Vibrant Performance with adapter plate for stock MAF
- Fuel filter
- Brakes Hawk or EBC for better stopping power
- Tires Good gripping tires
- Wheel bearings Only if one of them is going out
- Ball joints (Check with dealer to see if they are in for a recall)
- Alignment
- Brake and Clutch fluid flush Dot 3
- Boost leak test
- Fix any exhaust leaks
- PVC Valve OEM only and check to be sure it doesn't leak either
- Fix any CEL codes with appropriate part
- Replace all coolant lines
- Replace all vacuum lines
- Valve cover gasket kit Valve cover gasket, half moon gasket and 4 spark plug well gaskets
- Oil cap gasket
-Un hook clutch pedal sensor (for 4g63 guys)

Boost leak test- http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/new...se-troubleshoot-boost-leak-tester-merged.html

Fuel filter- http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/newbie-forum/291090-omg-fuel-filter-pain.html

http://www.vfaq.net/DSM/mods/10faq.html

After that mod away.

Last edited:
yes that should be a FIRST things to do list. we could even tell them it will make it faster.. they'll listen.
But seriously, sounds great!

added to that should be trans fluid/gear oil, and if applicable transfer case and rear diff gear oils. power steering fluid, brake and clutch fluids too.

That's very basic stuff.

They should look over the entire car for what it needs.
Brakes
Tires
Wheel bearings
Ball joints
Tie rods
Struts
Alignment

The list goes on and on, but don't forget these are old cars that have in most cases been neglected or abused. It's good to inspect everything and make sure things are in tip top shape before modding.

Well most of the time when you get in to modification's when doing stuff like sway bar's lowering springs and such those all are normally replaced. But those also should be checked but Im just saying those are the very first and most looked over stuff.

his list i see as more important of the things you encounter to be safe on the road and pass inspection. the fuel pump rewire is unnecessary on a stock pump.

OK so here's a list of everything so far that should be a must.

-Plug
-Plug wire's
-Oil
-Oil filter
- Coolant
-Timing Belt
- Air filter (spend the $150 and buy a K&N with the mafs conversion plate)
-Fuel filter
-Fuel pump rewire
-All drivetrain oil's ( transfer case and rear diff for those that are awd)
-Brakes
-Tires
-Wheel bearings
-Ball joints
-Tie rods
-Struts
-Alignment
-Brake Fluid
-Hydraulic clutch fluid

i think what should be changed no question when getting a car in order of importance is oil & filter, fuel filter, timing belt & idlers. things that should be only be checked and then replaced are the rest of the list. only if they can show you that all things are new or you know the person and that they did them should you not bother with things.

I vote to sticky this also, but how can you guys forget water pump, also head gasket and head studs. and also a can of seafoam.

head gasket and head studs...why? don't "fix" what isn't broken. a head gasket is not a maintenance item that you just replace it for the hell of it. unless you plan to make some serious power or take the head off for some reason, you should leave it alone. i just thought of something else to do. if you have lash adjuster noise when you get a car, take them out and soak them in laquer thinner for a while. also, most cars have bad valve cover gaskets because no one likes to take the time and use an inch-pound torque wrench on the valve cover bolts and go over all of them until they are all up to torque.

You forgot boost leak test.

hell yes!

- Plug NGK BPR6ES @ .028 gap
- Plug wire's Any that aren't arcing or of poor design
- Oil Which includes engine, transmission along with if applicapable transfer case and rear diff.
- Oil filter Higher micron number the better filtration
- Coolant
- Timing Belt Kit Full OEM kit with the belt, both pulleys and hydraulic tensioner. Balance shaft belt if it's still on the car.
- Water pump Can use auto part store brand
- Air filter K&N or Vibrant Performance with adapter plate for stock MAF
- Fuel filter
- Brakes Hawk or EBC for better stopping power
- Tires Good gripping tires
- Wheel bearings Only if one of them is going out
- Ball joints Check with dealer to see if they are in for a recall
- Alignment
- Brake and Clutch fluid flush Dot 3
- Boost leak test http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/new...se-troubleshoot-boost-leak-tester-merged.html
- Fix any exhaust leaks
- PVC Valve OEM only and check to be sure it doesn't leak either
- Fix any CEL codes with appropiate part
- Replace all coolant lines
- Replace all vacuum lines
- Valve cover gasket kit Valve cover gasket, half moon gasket and 4 spark plug well gaskets
- Oil cap gasket

That's about what I have down.

if this becomes a sticky then you might want to think about editing the very first post that way people don't have to dig threw 15 pages of responses to get a full and complete list of things to check/replace when they first get their cars. might also want to add to the list.

clean the MAF sensor
replace O2 sensor
check/repair all the wiring at both the engine and computer

i have seen plenty of problems caused by the O2 sensor and bad wiring. especially when you consider how some people like to strip the shielding off the wire, wrap another wire around it, and add a little electrical tape.

i used dot4 brake fluid. the people at napa said dot3 and dot4 are compatible, but dot4 doesn't attract moisture like dot3. liquidx, good call on the oil cap gasket. they can be messy when they leak.

i used dot4 brake fluid. the people at napa said dot3 and dot4 are compatible, but dot4 doesn't attract moisture like dot3. liquidx, good call on the oil cap gasket. they can be messy when they leak.

Also if they haven't been changed at all, they are a round piece of plastic by now too.

You left out the link for the boost leak tester. Thanks for using my list too that was modified from everyone elses lists :p

clutch position sensor, is that the sensor at the top of the clutch pedal assembly that makes it necessary to push the clutch to the floor to turn the car on? if i am correct, is that necessary or just helpful and what does it help? sorry but this one one the list just kinda confused me. but lucky for me everything else on that list is taken care of on my baby :)

Yup that's it its a step every one should take to prevent crank walk and the first thing i did to my car.

Not everyone will remember to be sure the car is in neutral before turning the key either. I don't think that's a required, but more of personal preference. I sitll have mine hooked up.

All spark plug wires are not equal. You should use the factory 7 mm NGKs or if you want something bigger, 8.5 mm Magnacores. I've used other plug wires before and the results were horrible.

I underdstand where you are coming from but that's why I stated not of poor design i.e. thin wires, thin insulator, bad connectors. For the most part, wire is wire and as long it can carry the current to the plugs without interference or shorting then they should be good. Bigger gauge wire the better however.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back