The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G Lets play name this noise

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enriquez2000

Proven Member
Oct 5, 2014
fort collins, Colorado
This is a weird one. This sound only happens letting off the throttle. It almost sounds like a BOV in the video but its most definitely something metallic.

I know the internet noise game is annoying but Im truly at a loss. Motor is brand new and didnt sound like this during heat cycling and only started after I drove it for a few miles and brought it home because MaP sensor lost its source.

Any insights/help appreciated!

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Could be loose flex plate bolts, or flex plate to converter bolts contacting with starter plate or something? Did you check that?
Working on that want to get it up on a lift so I can spin everything. The flexplate itself feels solid.

What's weird is it's only when coming off throttle.

Sean, I don't remember if I told you the story, but we had a 97 Spyder, auto car. My oldest son got it running (blown turbo) and put Link in it and it ran super good. One day, the car started a "rod knock" noise and we were just besides ourselves so we pulled the motor and 2 of the webs of the flex plate were cracked (I think completely into 2, but it may have just been one that cracked all the way and a 2nd was almost there. It was the noise so we replaced it and put it all back in the car only to have it stolen later on and they ran it into a tree. Check your flexplate with a borescope or something similar. I think we could have spotted it if we had thought about it but that has been 10 years ago. Just a guess. Hoping for the best for you!!! :thumb:

Sean, I don't remember if I told you the story, but we had a 97 Spyder, auto car. My oldest son got it running (blown turbo) and put Link in it and it ran super good. One day, the car started a "rod knock" noise and we were just besides ourselves so we pulled the motor and 2 of the webs of the flex plate were cracked (I think completely into 2, but it may have just been one that cracked all the way and a 2nd was almost there. It was the noise so we replaced it and put it all back in the car only to have it stolen later on and they ran it into a tree. Check your flexplate with a borescope or something similar. I think we could have spotted it if we had thought about it but that has been 10 years ago. Just a guess. Hoping for the best for you!!! :thumb:
Ive sen this as well but a kiggly flex plate wouldnt crack like that without some high horspeower pulls.

I need to grab a bore scooe and see if the starter plate is hitting. Its been apart enough it could have a bend i missed... just think noise would be all the time unless ander load and idle its fine and slils out just enough on decel

I forgot you had a Kiggly flexplate. I don't expect it to give you any issues.

I wouldn't think the starter plate would move on deceleration unless the transmission is loose........OMG

I wouldn't think the starter plate would move on deceleration unless the transmission is loose........OMG
It is definitely not loose... im wondering if maybe the torque converter moves in and out a bit on an auto trans. Maybr pushes out a hair on decel? I dunno... wouldnt think so

On my you tube comments everyone is guessing rocker or lifter 🙅🏽‍♂️

Man, it just doesn't sound like a rocker or lifter to me, its not "tinging" enough. Rockers are more like a clatter (higher pitch) to me (my hearing is not like it used to be) where a rod is much deeper in sound, not tinny.

Man, it just doesn't sound like a rocker or lifter to me, its not "tinging" enough. Rockers are more like a clatter (higher pitch) to me (my hearing is not like it used to be) where a rod is much deeper in sound, not tinny.
Doesnt sound like either to me... aspecially becaise it abruptly stops

Can you identify the general area of the engine?
I'm thinking something with the timing belt like the hydraulic tensioner or arm. Under decel wouldn't it put a little more tension on the tensioner side of the belt?

Can you identify the general area of the engine?
I'm thinking something with the timing belt like the hydraulic tensioner or arm. Under decel wouldn't it put a little more tension on the tensioner side of the belt?
Sound comes from trans side

I imagine it does it with the clutch pushed in also? Just guessing because I forgot to ask.

Oh shit.....well there's that "SENIOR" moment....
Don't get old!!! I'm sorry to look so dam stupid, BUT.....Hey, could it be the converter stator??? Full of fluid?

I get it. Thanks. Man this has us ALL puzzled.

But only on deceleration which is very strange. I can't wait until you tell us what's wrong....(am I rubbing off on you??? Lmao)?

Such a weird sound. Can't explain it, but it sounds like a heatshield vibrating or something rapidly tapping against something more solid. Like a loose inspection cover or something like that.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back