The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

knock/ rattle around timing components

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clizz3

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 25, 2011
franklin, Indiana
My dads car (1g nt) recently had timing belt, tensioner, and pulleys replaced. Since then there's a noise that gets louder as he drives the car, kinda like a rattle or knock. We can't seem to figure outwwhat's causing this. Have any of you guys ever had a problem like this?

Thanks for the input.

Is it coming from the Engine? You could have bent valves in the head if the belt failed prior to replacing it?

If you had the work done at a shop, you will definitely want to take it back to them and complain before it gets worse.

Or if when done by a shop the timing was done incorrectly, either way get it looked at. Sounds like a valve contacting pistons.

Sometimes when replacing the timing belt if the bolts are not tightened correctly the A/C belt tensioner may come loose and rub on the timing cover, or the bearing in the tensioner pulley may have gone bad resulting in a rattling noise as well. I would make sure to weed out all possible, easier to fix issues before attacking the more serious stuff.

Hi,

I have seen the auto tensioners go bad and not take up the correct amount of slack and make a clattering noise in the timing cover..

It is also possible to leave the pin in the tensioner and forget about it. Usually the timing cover wont go back on in this case , But if they used a small allen key it will...

Was the auto tensioner replaced?

I have also read about a bolt backing out of the oil pimp into the timing gears.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back