The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Is this EPROM ECU worth saving?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueArcher

Proven Member
Jan 10, 2014
Lexington, Kentucky
This ECU came with my car, I know it doesn't work because I had to bring a working ECU just to drive the thing home. I know the guy had some ebay ECU repair shop do work on it to try to get it working, and I can tell it is a pretty terrible job.

I know it is impossible to completely tell visually, but I would like some initial advice on whether this ECU is worth trying to save by sending it to someone competent. Specifically you can see some pretty sketch repairs around the caps, and also a jump wire from R46 to C44 and some corrosion in the area too.

Pics are large, so I am linking rather than attaching
http://i.imgur.com/iUhFRuC.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/e40PAG0.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/A4s5Ssu.jpg

EDIT: Fixed Image URLs

Last edited:
It's corrosion damage from the capacitor leakage and the white trails from the solvent they used to remove some of the conformal coating. They didn't neutralize the electrolyte and tried to solder to corroded copper.

It doesn't look like the CPU or port expander are blown so it's repairable but it needs a full rebuild. It takes a lot of time to check all the corroded traces and find the opens.

I'd guess that right now the ADC isn't working due to the voltage reference and traces around C19.
I'm also expecting that they is corrosion under the metal heatsink that has eaten through a few traces at the EMI filters.

Don't know what ECUTuning would charge to fix it up. I used to spend most of a day to take something like that and put it right. I lost money on each one due to the time involved.

Thanks steve. Unrelated question, and kind of random.. where is the code stored for non EPROM ECUs?

Attachments

• question.jpg
    question.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 56
All of the CPU chips have mask programmed ROM, Read Only Memory cells created at the same time as the rest of the CPU transistors are doped onto the silicon. The code is provided when the chips are ordered.

The part you have circled in the provided picture is the knock board and the IC for it.

All of the CPU chips have mask programmed ROM, Read Only Memory cells created at the same time as the rest of the CPU transistors are doped onto the silicon. The code is provided when the chips are ordered.

The part you have circled in the provided picture is the knock board and the IC for it.

@steve
I meant to put this in the post RE: knock board: Is it okay that the gooey black crap seems to be missing? There is still kind of a clear goo there, but its not like my working ECU which has a black film over it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back