The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

is it worth it? put turbo on 420a ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

well i learn alot...ima not gonna try get 500 hp, maybe less than that...if 420a can goes over 300 hp than im keepin it and rebulid 420a...sound good?:thumb:

If you want to do a swap then do the 2.4L out of the PT Cruisers. It will give you more TQ to start with and then build that

This is sad and funny at the same time. So I'll add some fun information just for shits and giggles.
If you are really hell bent on swapping motors to make the hp you should try swapping an evo motor because it already sits the same way in the engine bay. You will still need custom mounts and axles and transmission to go into the car. That way you'll already be more than half way to 500 LOL. Also the other items listed above ecu wiring harness and what not. Not to mention fuel pump.. Long story short even 300 hp in an na will be very difficult to achieve. But good luck

Well just "listed" on this site is 5 420a's pushing over 500+whp I am 100% positve there are more on here that people have not listed and all over the world.... everything else I agree with

As far as the op, just to give you a heads up I am in about $14,000 (including buying the car, I know I should of went with the 4G63 but I wanted a challenge) and I will probably be only looking at 400whp give or take alittle. I could get more if I went ethonal or race gas but its one of my DD and only 2 ethonal stations in my city. So the 420A WILL cost you ALOT more money to make it fast! And if your looking at my profile nothing I have bought for the car is in or on the car yet, still building and putting it together in the garage

That's incorrect actually, look next to the cars on the list when you sort them, you will notice only 2 are 420A cars and the rest are mis-categorized.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I own a 420A that I have turbocharged, so I am not necessarily bagging on them or hate them, or even unfamiliar with them.

to be fast in fwd is way more expensive then in awd..so sell your nt and find yourself an awd turbo model and then start thinking about going fast.

god i hate whenever someone has to poke there nose in and go "your car is stupid, sell it and buy a GSX".

maybe they don't want to sell there freaking car. maybe they like it? i know its a sin to like an N/T around here, but can we not look past that and just help out a guy who wants to try and make his car better? is that not what the site is about?

or has the majority of it come to making fun of N/T owners and hating anything thats not a TSI, GST, or GSX? :notgood:

yeah i get that the 420A's are the bastard child of DSM's, but even a bastard child can want something better in life. i myself was thinking about selling or trading my n/t and getting either a 1g or 2g turbo, but now because of all the hate for the 420, i've decided to build it just because everyone else thinks its worthless.

the only way to make a 420a n/a with alot of power is through a SHIT LOAD of money. simple as that, forced induction horsepower is way cheaper. you would have to increase the 420s compression radically and make it rev to around 12k to really make decent numbers. cost: around 8k or more. just for comparison, take any 4g63 and if it isnt beat you can put 400 to the ground with little money. do what i did, i have a stock 420a which i LOVE. has 140hp if im not mistaken LOL. but it does its job.
then as a second car, get a gst, tsi, or gsx, pull the engine have it rebuilt with forged internals, put all the add ons into it and voila, itll handle as much power as your likely to throw at it.
a few yrs ago i was in the same boat, and started a 420 turbo project. quickly realized it wasnt worth the hassle and bailed on it. nothing wrong with it dont get me wrong, but its just easier and much cheaper to do a gst.

i myself was thinking about selling or trading my n/t and getting either a 1g or 2g turbo, but now because of all the hate for the 420, i've decided to build it just because everyone else thinks its worthless.

So you are going to spend more money and be slower, just because everyone told you that's what will happen?

That's one of the dumbest things I've heard.

So you are going to spend more money and be slower, just because everyone told you that's what will happen?

That's one of the dumbest things I've heard.

belongs in the "dumbest things you've heard a dsmer say" thread.

i simply decided to build my n/t, because i like it, and because everyone else hates it.

have you not ever had something in life that you did simply because everyone else thought it was stupid and worthless?

im not going to shape my life, and my hobby, around what others believe it should be. :f-u:

god i hate whenever someone has to poke there nose in and go "your car is stupid, sell it and buy a GSX".

maybe they don't want to sell there freaking car. maybe they like it? i know its a sin to like an N/T around here, but can we not look past that and just help out a guy who wants to try and make his car better? is that not what the site is about?

or has the majority of it come to making fun of N/T owners and hating anything thats not a TSI, GST, or GSX? :notgood:

yeah i get that the 420A's are the bastard child of DSM's, but even a bastard child can want something better in life. i myself was thinking about selling or trading my n/t and getting either a 1g or 2g turbo, but now because of all the hate for the 420, i've decided to build it just because everyone else thinks its worthless.

belongs in the "dumbest things you've heard a dsmer say" thread.

i simply decided to build my n/t, because i like it, and because everyone else hates it.

have you not ever had something in life that you did simply because everyone else thought it was stupid and worthless?

im not going to shape my life, and my hobby, around what others believe it should be. :f-u:

As a fellow 420A owner, I am going to tell you that you sound like an idiot here. Just for good measure so I don't have to deal with the stigma you have created that only 4G63 guys feel this way, here is my engine bay:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

So there, I am doing everything you are talking about doing.

The OP asked about 500 HP, I just proved up above that two people on this site have achieved that level in 420As. So, that means it is hard and expensive to accomplish...do you really think you or the OP are going to get on that last? The answer is no, the statistics say you, him, me, etc. will not see that number.

If he wants to be around that number, then it's time to get a 4G63 powered DSM.

We won't even discuss the horrendous traction issues that these FWD DSMs (especially our crappy 420A) suffer from. The amount of money spent on suspension will be absurd.

Here you go, here is how much I spent to touch a 13.9 with my 420A turbo, roughly $4,000.00 total.

Here is how much my buddy spent to touch a 13.9 in his AWD Talon, $150.00.

I spent $1,000.00 on my car, he spent $2,800.00 on his, so far I am in it deeper and slower.

You can't argue facts. The facts are the 420A is slow, not capable of high power for cheap and generally not a good performance platform.

i never said i personally was shooting for 500HP out of any DSM, 420 or not. I also never said i wanted a 10 second 1/4 mile. and never said it would be easy or cheap to get the 420A there.

all i said, was that i choose to build my car, because i want to, and for some reason it gets under everyone elses skin. and personally that for me is very satisfying.

i also said that it is retarded that everyone is belittling this guy for wanting to know what he can expect out of a 420A setup.

yeah he is probably bright green behind the ears, but that doesn't mean we have to call him to the front of the class with a dunce cap.

he seems genuinely wanting to know what can be done to make his car faster, and from his posts he doesn't want to sell it. so why do we need to beat him with a proverbial stick until he relents and does what we say?

that to me is just stupid and ignorant.

As a fellow 420A owner, I am going to tell you that you sound like an idiot here. Just for good measure so I don't have to deal with the stigma you have created that only 4G63 guys feel this way, here is my engine bay:

So there, I am doing everything you are talking about doing.

The OP asked about 500 HP, I just proved up above that two people on this site have achieved that level in 420As. So, that means it is hard and expensive to accomplish...do you really think you or the OP are going to get on that last? The answer is no, the statistics say you, him, me, etc. will not see that number.

If he wants to be around that number, then it's time to get a 4G63 powered DSM.

We won't even discuss the horrendous traction issues that these FWD DSMs (especially our crappy 420A) suffer from. The amount of money spent on suspension will be absurd.

Here you go, here is how much I spent to touch a 13.9 with my 420A turbo, roughly $4,000.00 total.

Here is how much my buddy spent to touch a 13.9 in his AWD Talon, $150.00.

I spent $1,000.00 on my car, he spent $2,800.00 on his, so far I am in it deeper and slower.

You can't argue facts. The facts are the 420A is slow, not capable of high power for cheap and generally not a good performance platform.

i never said i personally was shooting for 500HP out of any DSM, 420 or not. I also never said i wanted a 10 second 1/4 mile. and never said it would be easy or cheap to get the 420A there.

all i said, was that i choose to build my car, because i want to, and for some reason it gets under everyone elses skin. and personally that for me is very satisfying.

i also said that it is retarded that everyone is belittling this guy for wanting to know what he can expect out of a 420A setup.

yeah he is probably bright green behind the ears, but that doesn't mean we have to call him to the front of the class with a dunce cap.

he seems genuinely wanting to know what can be done to make his car faster, and from his posts he doesn't want to sell it. so why do we need to beat him with a proverbial stick until he relents and does what we say?

that to me is just stupid and ignorant.

I think you have either ignored what he has said or just not read it. He brought up 500 HP, he brought up swapping to a 4G63 in his N/T, not us. He wants to keep the car, but does not want to work with-in the limitations he has.

I think you have either ignored what he has said or just not read it. He brought up 500 HP, he brought up swapping to a 4G63 in his N/T, not us. He wants to keep the car, but does not want to work with-in the limitations he has.

i saw what he posted, and in relation to that i said he is a NEWB. newbs need to be educated. from his posts, it doesnt seem he entirely understands what his limitations are with the 420A platform.

i hardly believe that you burst from the womb with the car knowledge that you now have. i will admit that i didn't even know how to change my oil when i started, but i worked at it, taught myself, learned from the people who were willing to teach, and eventually i am now able to do 97% of the work on all of my own vehicles. the rest i mostly have an idea of how to do, i just prefer not to screw with it LOL.

my entire point in this online pissing contest is that i believe the way the OP was treated is wrong.

I'm not calling you, nor anyone else personally out, i dont care what you drive, i don't even care how much you put into your build or how much HP you make.

i just simply think the OP could have been treated better.

as for my own car, i know its a POS, and i know its going to take a while to get to the point that i am happy with it, but I'm not going to sell it just because of that. it's my car, and i like it, so i will continue to fix, and mod it as i see fit.

Last edited by a moderator:
i saw what he posted, and in relation to that i said he is a NEWB. newbs need to be educated.

i hardly believe that you burst from the womb with the car knowledge that you now have. i will admit that i didn't even know how to change my oil when i started, but i worked at it, taught myself, learned from the people who were willing to teach, and eventually i am now able to do 97% of the work on all of my own vehicles. the rest i mostly have an idea of how to do, i just prefer not to screw with it LOL.

my entire point in this online pissing contest is that i believe the way the OP was treated is wrong.

I'm not calling you, nor anyone else personally out, i dont care what you drive, i don't even care how much you put into your build or how much HP you make.

i just simply think the OP could have been treated better.

as for my own car, i know its a POS, and i know its going to take a while to get to the point that i am happy with it, but I'm not going to sell it just because of that.

The OP also is not helping his cause by ignoring answers already provided and then needing them reiterated.

The OP also is not helping his cause by ignoring answers already provided and then needing them reiterated.

i agree. he needs to read, and research his car, just like everyone else should, before posting. or at the least, listen to the relevant information given to him.

i would kill myself with 500 hp

Hahah Exactly what I'm saying. But anyways on topic, you'll be putting yourself through hell to build a 420a up that much. Make it easier on yourself and just get a car that comes stock 4g63t. ;)

I agree, this thread needs to be closed. Dont hate all of us NT guys, we all dont act like this LOL.

Its kinda not all honda guys are d-bags either. But I have only met 2-3 that knew what they were doing. And I can only think of 2 420a guys off the top of my head on this website. Fotown, and Velocita and neither of them are exactly famous.

But Buschur, Keegly, Shepard, English, those are famous names. People outside of the dsm world know those names.

Personally I would build a N/A 420a. Throw some cams on it, nice intake and exhaust, possibly a chip and ignition upgrade. Id be a happy camper.

I will say this, my Teacher turbocharged a Neon with a 420a. he ran 10 psi for a year on a bone stock 150,000 mile engine. Was kinda cool, and kinda not. But impressive none the less.

I have done things that others thought was a waste like when I put a cyclone manifold on my car. I like to things also. BUT as I stated earlier he asked several times about swapping a 4g63 into his car.. I simply gave a way it could be done. But he didnt listen to the whole first page and half the second. 500hp is a crazy amout of power for 4g63 or 420a hard to control either way. Espically on 2 wheels. Everyone was simply trying to save him the headach + some sarcasm. And people are quite helpful on this site but rules state to search before you post. Thread closed where is defiant?

For an Eclipse GSX is awd and for the GST its FWD. For Talons TSi means turbo but there is nothing to say if it is awd besides as far as badges go. You can check by looking for a drive shaft and rear differential to see if it really is awd or fwd.

At this sir you are wrong on the 2g talons there is an AWD badge on it if you trust the person that has the car LOL

to the OP, in all seriousness: please read ALOT and most of your questions will be answered. im fairly new to the scene as well but i know how engines work. theres a thread here thats been around for years called how to turbo a 420a for under a grand. or something like that. please read that and get an idea of what it takes. this hate for 420s is a little silly, the reason it exists is ### of people saying "im shooting for like 500hp out of my 420, what should i do"? those kinda posts give n/a owners a bad name and stir up shit basically.

to the OP, in all seriousness: please read ALOT and most of your questions will be answered. im fairly new to the scene as well but i know how engines work. theres a thread here thats been around for years called how to turbo a 420a for under a grand. or something like that. please read that and get an idea of what it takes. this hate for 420s is a little silly, the reason it exists is ### of people saying "im shooting for like 500hp out of my 420, what should i do"? those kinda posts give n/a owners a bad name and stir up shit basically.

Exactly... focus on putting together a running turbo setup first, then set your goals incrementally.

The reason us 420a guys get so much shit is because of people not researching before askin questions like "how do I get 500hp". So now not only do we have the fact that our cars our slower, it makes us all look like we have a "ricer" mentality. Not to mention our motor shares similarities to a neon which for some reason makes some kind of difference. We also share a head from Lotus but you rarely hear that mentioned..

There are just as many newb 4g63 owners out there, running their vented BOV w/o proper supporting mods, for example. But they are almost never called out for asking a newb question.

Think about it this way... If there was some set in stone setup to get 500hp you can bet your ass everyone and their brother would be running it. But the fact is there isn't one specific way to get there, and it doesnt matter what platform you have it's not easy.

the lot of you have help no one just run your mouth look im new to both DSM and turbos and you've confused me even more i dont know much about turbos but id like one ive got a gs as my ### picture shows so how do i unlock this 218hp (if any) from my 420a do i need a turbo if not why and theres not to many awd gsx where i live so selling and tradeing is no option can either of you know it alls help with this or not

Honestly I can barely understand what you are saying. Now I have meet, seen, talked to many people who have turboed the 420a, most of them say it's a waste of money very few say it was worth it. Personally I wanted to turbo my first n/t, but after reading the forums and looking at prices I decided it wasnt for me. I suggest research as this has been asked many many times and there is a ton of info on it all over the forum and google. If you decide it's something you want to do by all means go for it many have done it, and a couple are still happy with the decision. Bottom line it's your time and money. Not trying to sound like a ass in anyway, but like I said it has been asked a bunch of times. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Ricer is a racial comment? What race does it refer to? Now I am smitten to know.

LoLOLoLOLoLOLoLOLoLOLoLOLoLOLoLOLoLOL

BTW, you look like a ricer with that stupid intake pipe you have.

We have asked people not to use it, and would appreciate if you follow the guidelines. Granted, these are for the Hangout, it should apply to the whole site. Whether it's derogatory to a race or not, it's just not the best word to use in relation to cars in general.
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/han...eptable-behavior-hangout-not-tech-forums.html

being young isnt an excuse LOL im only 18. anyways but turbo model i mean gst or gsx. if you go gst you still have traction issues but you could always convert to awd (2gs only) later done the road like i did. but i do NOT think it would be worth it to try and swap a 4g in your nt. just save up and get a gst/gsx and keep your 420a as a dd. or sell it and get a nice gst/gsx. but thats just my opinion.

Agreed on the age thing im only 18 as well.

@OP
Its not worth trying to get a 420a to that just get a 4g63 it will be way cheaper and less of a hassle in the end.

Armin

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back