The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Hole in the block :-( weld cast iron.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AQuinonez90

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 9, 2011
Salinas, California
So pretty much this happened for being cheap and not wanting to buy a legit t3 manifold and stick to my turbonetics manifold. I have a hy35 that I was trying to install but the 9cm housing touched the block so figured Id shave off in the housing and block...bad idea...I shaved off a lil too much til the point I have a nickel size hole. :-( fml.....called up a fabricating shop near me and said he can patch it up no problem....motor is healthy just that sh** I did messed it up.... good idea or no? I just nees my car running. Later Ill build a nice good racing block.

pic of the hole please.

Yea man. Couldnt sleep at all. Ill take a picture once im off work.
No pieces went inside or anything but I'm going to drop the oil pan just to be safe.

Last edited:
Yea man. Couldnt sleep at all. Ill take a picture once but I hav but I have hope

No pieces went inside or anything but I'm going to drop the oil pan just to be safe.

Oh, there are pieces of metal in the block. If you were able to grind a hole in it, than there are thousands of little flakes of metal in the engine now.

Oh, there are pieces of metal in the block. If you were able to grind a hole in it, than there are thousands of little flakes of metal in the engine now.

This. You might not be able to see it but there is powdered "cast" iron in there. Drop the pan but don't be surprised if you spin a bearing in a few miles. Sorry for the trouble man.

Well I guess compress air it is. Blow out as much as I can and a cycle of oil changes.

Why cast iron welds fail

This is a good read. Basically, according to math, the weld will most likely hold up fine (depending on whether you are in a high stress concentration area on your block or not), but it will be the weakest point on the block. Since it is a nickel sized hole, that would concern me a little at least having a bit of welding experince. I can't honestly say you will be ok or not because there is a lot of vibration in the engine while it runs and having taken a materials of science class in college, I would be hesitant to do it. You will be changing the natural freq. of the block (only in one spot). That's just me though. I always usually take a cautious approach to things like this. I firgure that link may help you out a little.

More than likely, you will be ok, but I don't know how long it will hold up (depending on driving habits :D). Also, everything is going to get extremely hot when the machinist does the pre-heat for the welding. The heat will spead through conduction and get everything around the area hot so make sure anything that is close the weld area is removed.

^that was a good read. I also took material science classes in college (mechanical engineer) and in the link above one guy hit the nail on the head. You have to pre and post heat treat the material to get the best and most reliable welds.

OP good luck. I would try it and see what happens but I wouldn't get your hopes to high.

The engine will have to come apart.

Hot braze the block would be the best method, not tig.

If the hole is about .500 I would get a 1/2 pipe plug and tap and plug the hole that way, if possible.

But either way, weld or plug, the engine comes out so all the slag/dust/chips can be cleaned out.

BTW, depending on settings, I have seen the bearings get welded to the crank from a tig.

Thanks guy. We'll see how it turns out and keep you guys posted. Ill have a pretty nice street set up but wont drive it aggresively until I have an extra block and gas saving car on the side. Im just crossing my fingers it can get me to work and back no problem.

You can't weld cast iron, there is no filler avalible, because youll never know what types of material are in cast iron. Get a new block...

Edit: just saw it was a small hole. Braze like dale said, otherwise get a new block or thread a plug. It's impossible to tig cast iron.

If He is going to build another motor its a way of pluging it up.

Lets see, maybe he wants to not ruin the internals when that jb weld falls off and he starts loosing oil. Maybe he doesn't want the car to catch on fire when the oil comes from that hole and gets on the hot exhaust. Maybe he doesn't want to destroy his turbo when he runs the engine out of oil.

If you just want to patch it up good enuff to drive you could jb weld it.

Ummm no...LOL. This machinist welded a vband to my cast iron housing and did a pretty good darn job. But no jb weld...hell no.

If your patch fails it could cause a huge fire! Think about it, new block or new car..

I threw a rod and it puked all over my downpipe but I had a fire extinguisher in car.. Just my 2c

Yes don't use this method I did not think about it but Bryanwheat is right.

This might be a bad idea, but depending on where the hole is could he tap in a plug to ventilate the crank case? Could be a bad situation turned good for extra engine health. This depends though on where the hole is and clearance, etc...

Just thinking out loud....

If your patch fails it could cause a huge fire! Think about it, new block or new car..

I threw a rod and it puked all over my downpipe but I had a fire extinguisher in car.. Just my 2c

I think I'll be alright I'll just carry a fire extinguisher with me

Mi"sma;153422034 said:
This might be a bad idea, but depending on where the hole is could he tap in a plug to ventilate the crank case? Could be a bad situation turned good for extra engine health. This depends though on where the hole is and clearance, etc...

Just thinking out loud....

Its right behind the exhaust housing. A little below the water pipe.

Ok pics coming up in a couple of mins.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Oh lordy.....LOL. Guy is coming tomorrow morning to patch it up.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back