The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Gst-gsx gas tank swap

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IanT

Proven Member
May 26, 2014
Hudson, Massachusetts
So my car was/is a gst it has been converted to a gsx. I have a fuel cell in the car with a walbro 255iph external fuel pump. And -6 fuel line running to the injector mainafold
I have the gsx tank and really need to get this put into the car
I found this http://www.automotivearticles.com/AWD_Conversion.shtml and definitely helps me out but I still have many questions hope you all can help me out
If this topic needs to be moved please do mods/admins

1. Filler neck didn't come with the car is the gst and the gsx that same neck?
2. Should I covert to a in-tank pump if so how would I connect the -6 fuel line?
3. Evap... Don't have any in the car now so should I stay deleted?
I'm sure I missed something and will try to keep up with it as we go along.
I have done searching, I did see and read what I found but they are all to old and pics have expired
link me anything that can help me please.. I really want to do this myself I don't wanna have to send this out and pay through that ass..!
If I am able to compleat this successfully I will defiantly do a how-to write up with details and pictures

The GSX and GST filler necks are similar. The main fill pipe is the same, but the smaller venting and emissions pipes that are attached are different because the GSX has the charcoal canister in the front behind the driver's side headlight. The GST has the charcoal canister in the fuel tank. Good luck finding a good GSX filler pipe that's not rusted and trash. They are no longer being made. I ended up getting a good one from wwww.fillernecks.com. The one that I got was from a 2Ga as opposed to a 2Gb. They are different. Good luck, hope this helps

What's the difference from the a-b I assume the year?
also is the years for that neck 98-99?

Last edited:
A 2Ga is 95-96 and a 2Gb is 97-99. So the big difference for the fill pipes was because of emission law changes.

I had read that the 2ga gsx filler/tank combo will work in a 2gb gst. I'm soon to find out myself.

I know the fwd filler wont work w the awd tank. No matter 2ga or 2gb. Again from the 5,000 pages ive read on the awd swap thread.

I'm not so sure about that. I have a brand new 2G GST filler pipe sitting here on the floor. My fuel filler rusted out and fell apart. I contacted Paul at JNZ about a new and was told it's not made any more. He got me a GST version because it was available. The main fill pipe is the same, but all of the emission pipes are completely different. I eventually got a 2Ga GSX pipe from www.fillernecks.com. Same deal, works but emission pipes are different. I need to list the brand new GST pipe on tuners classifieds to recoup some of the money.

Ok not that this is not helping but starting to be a little confusing..

Anyone out there that's has gone through the process successfully?

Thats what im saying, estoy(i think?). If you have a 2gb gst and use a 2ga for the swap, you have to use the filler neck from the 2ga as well. A package deal, type thing.

I know my emissions (97 gst) were in the front by the battery. Not sure yet what the filler necks look like on either car. I'm sorry OP but check out this thread. Be patient and i believe you;ll find everything you need

http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/awd-conversion-swap-guys-enter-here-advanced-merged-2-07.247093/

OP: You're not concerned about emissions right? Well, you can just test fit everything and see whats what if nothing else. Cap any emissions related lines or whatever is back there. If it can physically reach and connect then get creative. Im sure this isnt impossible. As long as the tank has a vent you should be ok.

I did the awd swap on my 2ga tsi (gst) and used the filler neck from the 2ga gst with the awd tank. The awd tank came from a 2ga gsx. My charcoal canister was under the battery in the engine compartment and not in the fuel tank.

What year car are you putting the tank in and what year is the awd tank? Post a pic of the fuel tank so we can see if it has emissions on tank. Can you find the evap canister on your car?

Read this over and check out post #4. My 99 gst has it in the fuel tank, my 95 tsi under the battery, 96 gsx was behind front bumper and I haven't searched for it on my spyder.
http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/where-is-my-charcoal-canister-is-there-one.411273/#post-152688403

My tank

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Mine is a 2Gb GSX and I'm currently using a 2Ga GSX and I abandoned the venting for the EVAP plumbing at the tank and at the intake, because I'm running an EVO III intake. I left the charcoal canister and it's plumbing alone. As I said, I have a brand new GST filler pipe and the main pipe is the same. It's just the vent and emission tubes are different. I can try and take a picture tomorrow and post it if it would help.

That would be awesome!
How about the main rubber tube from the neck to the tank is that the same

Damn there is a lot of extra tubing there.. What would u want for that neck?

So, that is GST, brand spanking new. I don't have the rubber hose. I was lucky to get one a year or two I was able to get it. I think it should be the same. I just thought, look in the OEM section on www.jnztuning.com website. They have the exploded diagrams and part numbers. Compare them between what you need

Yeah, I was going to cut them off. I forget what I paid for it. I got it from JNZ. I think I could do $90 shipped. I just need to find a box to pack it safely.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back