The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

ever seen a shaved gas tank door?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayson427

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 20, 2011
Mesa, Arizona
i was looking through some photos on this site and saw this. i have never seen it on a 2g before so i thought i would share! its pretty sweet i think

Attachments

• 531533.jpg
    531533.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 873
Pretty creative way to solve the issue of where to put the gas fill. Wonder if the taillight is on some kind of hinge, otherwise it's alot of work having to take out your taillight just to put some gas in.

my old 93 n/t eclipse had shaved door handles and gas tank lid.....they guy moved the gas filler to behind the license plate like an old car.....i changed that back to stock I hated it

I would assume that he had provisions to quickly take it out before I would that he has to take it out like normal every time. If they had the skill to do that I'm sure it has been set up with a way to access it easier.

It caught my eye I think it's sweet pita or not it's creative and that's part of building a car. This pic was dated in 2002 but it's the first time I have seen it done on a 2g. I'm sure he hooked the gas door Popper to the tail light if he took the time to do all that fab work.

I am doing that on mine, but I am relocating my filler cap to the center light section. in the finger gap at the top, there is a button. Press that button and the center tailight hinges down to reveal a filler neck/cap. I don't mind it being there, I don't see why everyone thinks it is a pita to use, are you all just that lazy? Plus, with mine in the center, I can fill from right or left pumps. :)

Nate

I've seen this done on a few cars before. Its on a hinge with the gas lever still releasing the light. Didnt seem too bad when I saw it in person. I actually like ^^^ his idea.

Thanks. The reason I am doing it, is because I am going for a nice smooth clean body. I shaved the door handles, badges, emblems, antenae, spoiler, washer nozzles, and side mparkers, and when I repaint it (I was rushed the first time and it's not perfect, so I am gonna redo it all) I will also shave the fuel door, rear wiper, fill in the "rain rails" on the roof, and am gonna make a fiberglass sunroof to paint. Should look really clean when I am done with it.

Nate

I wonder what the rest of the car looks like? I'm sure it's full of air scoops, z3 fenders, aluminum wing etc...oh and I almost forgot - he for sure has a laptop that reads "DANGER TO MANIFOLD" when he hits NOS ROFL
I never saw the point in shaving our door handles let alone shave the gas door but to each his own I guess. :idontknow:

I may do that when it's done. I have the tailight section part done, just have to get a filler neck and install that, then clean it up a bit, and paint. Here are some pics of what I have done so far.

Nate

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited by a moderator:
As for the first pic. Not just pita is the danger of having that close to electrical wire just pray he really insulated wireds good,don't spill gas and catches a short in that light bulb

You could also put the corner of the light on a hinge, and have the tail part (end closer to quarter panel) have something to just hook the door pop cable up to. So not a PITA if you can pop the taillight just like the gas door, and just push-click it shut.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back