The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Gas mileage: Open vs Closed loop

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfdid

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 18, 2003
Calgary, Alberta_Canada
Hi guys, I've been doing a LOT of driving within the last few weeks, and I've noticed something that may not be common knowledge.

If you're cruising, try to keep your RPM/airflow low enough for you to stay in closed loop. It has seemed to save me a fair amount of gasoline. Odd, but something to play with a little more.

Has anyone else found this?

jfdid said:
Hi guys, I've been doing a LOT of driving within the last few weeks, and I've noticed something that may not be common knowledge.

If you're cruising, try to keep your RPM/airflow low enough for you to stay in closed loop. It has seemed to save me a fair amount of gasoline. Odd, but something to play with a little more.

Has anyone else found this?

This is definitely true, because you run rich in open loop, and leaner in closed loop.
Keydiver's chips have extended closed loop to improve mileage.

does the loop mode switch at 4000+ rpms?
if so thats like 85 mph on the highway thats fast enuf for lil ol me :coy:

Open loop is based on both Airflow and TPS%. Which ever will cause open loop first will bring the ECU into open loop. So it's not a set speed or RPM... You can be in Open Loop at 1500 RPM's if you are WOT...

Currently, with my setup, at a cruise my open loop is at about 3900 RPM, which equals about 140km/h.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back