The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Evo 1 Gsr Awd Lsd Transmission In 2g

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

As for Matthias' straight cut gears, they are holding up just fine in his car going 8.4's without failure over 2+ years. They are a good investment if you are intending on being abusive on your transmission. I will pick up a set some time next year and will face plate the 3/4 gears with a DSM ratio 3/4, with Evo 1 1/2 faceplated.

For the cost of machining that ring gear, you could have bought a plated LSD and bolted on the ring gear. There's a reason why DSM guys prefer to upgrade from the viscous rear diff to the Evo 8 LSD. From a guy with a front viscous LSD, this is way too much effort to make one work.

Last edited:
For the cost of machining that ring gear, you could have bought a plated LSD and bolted on the ring gear. There's a reason why DSM guys prefer to upgrade from the viscous rear diff to the Evo 8 LSD. From a guy with a front viscous LSD, this is way too much effort to make one work.

Completely agreed. Throwing in a KAAZ super-Q front diff with the DSM ratio final drive would be a significantly better choice. As well, you mentioned that this was in a car before running; and it felt like clutch slipping too; if the final drive ratio was not proper for the rear end, you are dealing with a smoked viscous coupler, and potentially a smoked front viscous or rear viscous diff too from driving on the wrong ratios.

As for Matthias' straight cut gears, they are holding up just fine in his car going 8.4's without failure over 2+ years. They are a good investment if you are intending on being abusive on your transmission. I will pick up a set some time next year and will face plate the 3/4 gears with a DSM ratio 3/4, with Evo 1 1/2 faceplated.

Tim thanks for the reply. I will be in contact.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.
Keltalon, curious on what the faceplate conversion, cryo, rem and wpc treatment all ends up coming to (est. cost)? Whatever you decide I hope it works well for you! Subscribed.
Face plating 125.00per gear 250.00 for custom hub slider quoted by liberty the other stuff is also by the piece the fwd tranny I did cost me around 300 dollars for the various gears I had done.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/wpc-cams-and-transmission-gears.496302/
Completely agreed. Throwing in a KAAZ super-Q front diff with the DSM ratio final drive would be a significantly better choice. As well, you mentioned that this was in a car before running; and it felt like clutch slipping too; if the final drive ratio was not proper for the rear end, you are dealing with a smoked viscous coupler, and potentially a smoked front viscous or rear viscous diff too from driving on the wrong ratios.
The clutch was toast and yeah tim the viscous did look a little heated I will be checking the rear here soon there was so many things not setup right on this car besides the drivetrain and have been working a lot to correct them. I purchased the car for 1000.00 so as to put my Fwd engine in it
http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/keltalon-switch-from-fwd-to-awd.497160/

I only paid 75.00 dollar to machine the one I have!

More of the same information as above but with some additional.

Transmission model numbers that I know will interchange with my 1991
> Mitsubishi Galant VR4 AWD 5spd turbo:
>
> Model Comments
>
> w5m33-2-NQBK 91-2 Galant VR4 up to 4/92
> w5m33-2-NQBM 92 Galant VR4 mfg 5/92
> w5m33-2-NPXV 91-94 Eclipse AWD 5spd mfg 6/90-2/94
> w5m33-2-NNZT 95? Eclipse AWD 5spd mfg 3/94 [not sure about this
one]
> w5m33-2-NPZT 95-96 Eclipse AWD 5spd mfg 3/94-6/96
>
> From my friends with a switchable 2WD->4WD JDM Galant trans that I
> would LOVE to get a hold of:
> C5OPH-EK1420 or
> C5JPF-FL8420
>
> See http://www.vfaq.com/mods/Tranny-switchable.html for more
details.
>
>>
> FYI: Other Mitsu AWD M/T trans of note that WILL NOT interchange
> (supposedly):
>
> w5mG1-0-FNBR 3000GT 4WD w/ 4WS, 5spd mfg 4/90-5/92
> w5mG1-1-FNCR 3000GT 4WD w/ 4WS, 5spd mfg 11/91-5/92
> w5mG1-2-FNBR or FCNR 3000GT 4WD w/ 4WS, 5spd mfg 6/92-9/92
> w5mG1-3-FNBR or FCNR 3000GT 4WD w/ 4WS, 5spd mfg 10/92-5/93
> W6MG1-0-FNBR 3000GT 4WD w/ or w/o 4WS, 6spd mfg 6/93-end
>
> w5m33-2-NPZS 89-90 Eclipse AWD 5spd turbo mfg 3/89-6/90 [change
> shift linkage]
> w5m33-2-MUZT 97-99 Eclipse AWD 5spd turbo mfg 7/96-end
>
> w5m31-2-VQZH Galant GSX AWD non-turbo 5spd mfg 6/89-5/90
> w5m31-2-VQBK Galant GSX AWD non-turbo 5spd mfg 6/90-5/92
>
> w5m31-2-VNXL Expo-LRV 1.8 AWD non-turbo 5spd
> w5m33-2-NNXL Expo-LRV 2.4 AWD non-turbo 5spd
> w5m33-2-NNXL Expo 2.4 AWD non-turbo 5spd mfg 6/92-2/94
> w5m33-2-NNXZ Expo 2.4 AWD non-turbo 5spd mfg 5/91-5/92

quote:

US TEL 1G 3/89 - 6/90 (shift link) -> w5m332npzs
US TEL 1G 6/90 - 2/94 -> w5m332npxv
US TEL 2G 3/94 - 6/96 -> w5m332npzt
US TEL 2G 7/96 and up -> w5m332muzt

US spec GVR4 to 4/92 -> w5m332nqbk
US spec GVR4 5/92 and up -> w5m332nqbm

US Galant GSX AWD non-turbo 6/89-5/90 -> w5m312vqzh
US Galant GSX AWD non-turbo 6/90-5/92 -> w5m312vqbk

US Expo 1G AWD -> w5m33_mn__??? (Anyone know?)
US Expo-LRV 1.8 AWD non-turbo 5spd -> w5m312vnxl
US Expo-LRV 2.4 AWD non-turbo 5spd -> w5m332nnxl
US Expo 2.4 AWD non-turbo 6/92-2/94 -> w5m332nnxl
US Expo 2.4 AWD non-turbo 5/91-5/92 -> w5m332nnxz

quote:
w5m332 means they are for turbo AWD 4g63 powered 1G, GVR4 and evo 1-3 (don't know about evo iv and beyond, anyone?).

nq -> is for the GVR4 (US and JDM)
np -> if the the US 1G and some 2G cars (up to 96; in '97 MMC switched from np to mu for the 2G)
c50ph -> is the switchable tranny (2wd/4wd)
c51ph -> if for the 88-89 JDM VR4 (early GVR4s) and select foreign market (a specimen was reported in Australia for example) GVR4s

All of the above are compatible with the GVR4 3 bolt and the 1G 4 bolt rear diffs.

wq -> is for the GVR4 RS and the evo1
evo2 and evo3 -> trannies each have letters that are different from all of the above and from one another.

The wq and evo2 and evo3 trannies DO NOT work with the US GVR4 3 bolt nor the US 1G 4 bolt rear diffs. The above data was gathered from multiple lists over a period of two years. I have found no exceptions to date.

PS -- As an FYI there are some wierd ones, for which I cannot comment about their compatibility with US cars. I'd stay away from these. They are:

nr -> unknown
f5m332sp -> unknown
w5m33?nn -> unknown
w5m33?mn -> unknown

w5m31 is a non turbo galant gsx

Time to cue a list of known box codes, and my interpretation of what
the codes mean.

This data has bene shamelessly nicked from nzmmc and club VR4 forums.

If you can shed more light on the codes, or have some new ones, let
everyone know!

Typical gearbox code: W5M33-2-NQZK

Last 4 characters distinguish the gearboxes..

1st letter - Final drive ratio
N = 3.545 ratio
W = 3.909 ratio

2nd letter - gear ratios??
O = dunno ratio?
P = dunno ratio?
Q = close ratio?
R = wide ratio?

3rd letter - front diff
B = open front diff
F = ?
G = ?
W = viscous front LSD
X = ?
Y = open
Z = ?

4th Letter
Mounting locations?
M = Galant
K = HH/HJ Galant
E = CC Lancer
D = CB Lancer

Front LSD uses a different crownwheel, and a longer drivers side inner
CV joint

W5M33-2-NRXD 1990 Cyborg hatch (4WD) 3.545 Ratio no LSD

W5M33-2-NRWE 92-95 Lancer GSR, Viscous Front LSD, 3.545 ratio.
W5M33-2-NRBE ????? Lancer GSR, 3.545 ratio no LSD
W5M33-2-NQBE 92 Lancer GSR 1.8rs no LSD 3.545
W5M33-2-NOBE Lancer GSR 3.545 no LSD

W5M33-2-WQYE, Lancer Evo 1 RS 3.909 ratio, no front lsd.
W5M33-2-WPGE, Lancer Evo 2 3.909 ratio, no front lsd.
W5M33-2-WPWE, Lancer Evo 2 3.909 ratio, viscous front lsd.
W5M33-2-UPYE, Lancer Evo 3 3.909 ratio, no front lsd.

W5M33-2-NQBK 91-2 Galant VR4 up to 4/92
W5M33-2-NQBM 92 Galant VR4 mfg 5/92
W5M33-2-WPVF Galant VR4 E84A
W5M33-2-WQNK Galant VR4 evo (3.909 ratio)
W5M33-2-WQFK Galant VR4 evo
W5M33-2-NPXV 91-94 Eclipse AWD 5spd mfg 6/90-2/94
W5M33-2-NNZT 95? Eclipse AWD 5spd mfg 3/94 [not sure about this one]
W5M33-2-NPZT 95-96 Eclipse AWD 5spd mfg 3/94-6/96

W5M33-2-WQWE 92-93 Lancer evo 1 RS (viscous front LSD) (3.909)
W5M33-2-WQFE evo 1 RS box
W5M33-2-WQGE evo 1 GSR box

Okay guys I have an update on this matter. first off I feel like a complete you know what. The guy who sold me the car came over today and pointed out a few thing. First off the drivetrain is set up correctly and what I mean about that is the transfer case , transmission and the rear end all match. rear end has been converted to 3.909 to match the transmission the transfer case was match with the EVO I-II 1.090. The numbers are written on the back of the rear differential I just didn't see them. The original owner said this swap was done almost 10 yrs ago when a lot of these parts was in abundance and he has put about 30,000 miles on the car since then. The driver side half shaft is the longer shaft that explains why there were no issues with the axles. So I paid 75.00 to have the crown ring gear machined for nothing ha. So at this point I am going to upgrade the 3/4 gears to the evo 3 double synchronizer with the small Hd hub slider seeing that these gears has the same gear ratio as the current. I will do all the other goodies to the gears. I will get the center diff upgrade and call it a day. Sorry for all the confusion fellas I will update accordingly. Thanks.

Okay here is a pull I did last week before taking the transmission out of the car with 3.909 rear differential and the 64 tooth ring gear that can in the transmission. 16g turbo 17psi. Did this pull before going to the track.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey everyone. I thought I'd chime in here (and subscribe). Keltalon bought the car off me. I loved this car (henceforth referred to as Emma) but hadn't been able to touch it for 2 years as it just sat... so while I didn't want to part with Emma, I didn't want to see it just rot in my driveway either. Selling it to a friend like keltalon allowed me to still see the build happen, be a part of building it, and learn from any mistakes I made on the way... otherwise I don't think I could've let Emma go. My wife actually told me not to sell because she knew how much the car meant to me...

There's alot I don't know on these cars, but providing history for anything on it is something I can do.

I bought the car in California back in Fall 2006 and drove it from there to New Mexico where I lived at the time. The Auto > Manual conversion and 6 bolt swap were both already done then. The guy I bought it off of had the AT > MT conversion done by a professional shop, but I can't remember the name (I might still have the paperwork and receipts sitting around here somewhere though). 6 bolt swap was done by the owner before the guy I bought it off of. It had almost 100,000 miles when I got it. In November of 06 (just a couple weeks after I upped the boost to 20-21 psi the clutch gave out and I had to replace it (if you search my posts you'll find the learning curve I went thru on that LOL). The drive train is indeed properly matched up all the way through the rear end.

In Jan 2010 I moved from New Mexico to Georgia driving straight through, only stopping for food (never stopped and ate), gas, and bathroom. So Emma basically ran nonstop almost 29 hours, 20 of which were at interstate speeds (70-80). It did frikken good too! ...gonna miss Emma...
...for the record, it would normally have been a 23 hour drive, but that was the night that Amarillo had 2 ft of snow dumped. AWD was so much fun in that hahahaha...

There will definitely be some wear visible on the diff's from three years ago when the 2 bolts holding the half shaft dropped out allowing the half shaft to fall out of the transmission. I had to baby the car from rolling at 55 down the road up a mild hill and through a left turn at a a busy intersection into a parking lot where I waited for a tow truck.

If anyone is curious on any of its history (and some stupid thing I might have done) I'll be happy to answer for the benefit of anyone reading this now and in the future. :)

Hey everyone. I thought I'd chime in here (and subscribe). Keltalon bought the car off me. I loved this car (henceforth referred to as Emma) but hadn't been able to touch it for 2 years as it just sat... so while I didn't want to part with Emma, I didn't want to see it just rot in my driveway either. Selling it to a friend like keltalon allowed me to still see the build happen, be a part of building it, and learn from any mistakes I made on the way... otherwise I don't think I could've let Emma go. My wife actually told me not to sell because she knew how much the car meant to me...

There's alot I don't know on these cars, but providing history for anything on it is something I can do.

I bought the car in California back in Fall 2006 and drove it from there to New Mexico where I lived at the time. The Auto > Manual conversion and 6 bolt swap were both already done then. The guy I bought it off of had the AT > MT conversion done by a professional shop, but I can't remember the name (I might still have the paperwork and receipts sitting around here somewhere though). 6 bolt swap was done by the owner before the guy I bought it off of. It had almost 100,000 miles when I got it. In November of 06 (just a couple weeks after I upped the boost to 20-21 psi the clutch gave out and I had to replace it (if you search my posts you'll find the learning curve I went thru on that LOL). The drive train is indeed properly matched up all the way through the rear end.

In Jan 2010 I moved from New Mexico to Georgia driving straight through, only stopping for food (never stopped and ate), gas, and bathroom. So Emma basically ran nonstop almost 29 hours, 20 of which were at interstate speeds (70-80). It did frikken good too! ...gonna miss Emma...
...for the record, it would normally have been a 23 hour drive, but that was the night that Amarillo had 2 ft of snow dumped. AWD was so much fun in that hahahaha...

There will definitely be some wear visible on the diff's from three years ago when the 2 bolts holding the half shaft dropped out allowing the half shaft to fall out of the transmission. I had to baby the car from rolling at 55 down the road up a mild hill and through a left turn at a a busy intersection into a parking lot where I waited for a tow truck.

If anyone is curious on any of its history (and some stupid thing I might have done) I'll be happy to answer for the benefit of anyone reading this now and in the future. :)
Thanks jesse for the chime in! Emma is in good hand with the dare devil keltalon for sure, and let me tell you she is going to see things that she has never seen before , before I am done:D

You've got a sweet setup there, Evo 1 gearing is a good time.
Double-synchro 3rd and 4th gears are very difficult to find now, and the cost is high. I would stick with a refreshed and well-built Evo 1 setup.

You've got a sweet setup there, Evo 1 gearing is a good time.
Double-synchro 3rd and 4th gears are very difficult to find now, and the cost is high. I would stick with a refreshed and well-built Evo 1 setup.
Thanks. yeah I must say it's a rush for sure. The one thing I hated about my fwd tranny is the length between gears, with the 6266 I was always kicked out of my sweet rpm spot with the change of every gear.

Thanks jesse for the chime in! Emma is in good hand with the dare devil keltalon for sure, and let me tell you she is going to see things that she has never seen before , before I am done:D
If I didn't believe that, the sale wouldn't have happened ;)
I'll help as much as I can with the build. Hopefully things will progress with my business so that I have more time in the near future to help out.

If I didn't believe that, the sale wouldn't have happened ;)
I'll help as much as I can with the build. Hopefully things will progress with my business so that I have more time in the near future to help out.
Is that Emma rear end in your profile picture?

Okay I picked up 3rd and 4th evo 3 gears today and will have them treated before install in the transmission. With the rear diff being 3.909 I am going to need the help of the double synchronizers to help with the higher rpm shift. My redline will stay around 8500 to 8700rpm. Here is an example of what my speed/rpm/top speed will look like in the next ga 1/2 mile event with the higher ratio gearing. Correction!

RPM750 RPM3000 RPM 8500
1rst gear 4mph 15mph 45mph
2nd gear 6mph 25mph 72mph
3rd gear 8mph 34mph 99mph
4th gear 11mph 46mph 134mph
5th gear 16mph 64mph 187mph

Evo III 3rd and 4th gear purchased from the dealer 72.00/gear 30.00/ for the sycronizers:D

Okay evo 3 double sychro on left gsr single large synchro on the right

Some of the stuff going to be treated.

Attachments

• 2015-10-23 10.18.29.jpg
    2015-10-23 10.18.29.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 325
Last edited:
How on earth?
Can you get more of the gears/synchros? I would definitely get some and toss you a finders fee.

And don't weld the center, it's the best way to kill a car that can handle. Do the 4-spider!

How on earth?
Can you get more of the gears/synchros? I would definitely get some and toss you a finders fee.

And don't weld the center, it's the best way to kill a car that can handle. Do the 4-spider!
They gave me the gears at dealers cost I am really good friends with everyone there. I know I can't get a ton of these at that price but may be able to get a couple more sets. On the center diff, can you elaborate a little Thanks!

Center diff that is not welded

Welded center diff

You getting the assembly cryoed kels?
Yeah man doing the same thing I did to the FWD. Cyro/Rem finished gears, intermediate shaft and only the 3/4 slider then I will send them and have them WPC treated for the micro shot peening needle bearings will also get the wpc the input shaft, hub sliders and 1rst and 2nd gear will be rem finished only . When I drained the fluid in from the fwd transmission after 3000 miles the fluid was still crystal clean not to mention those gears shifted amazing at 8750rpm for single synchro 1990 3rd and 4th gears I . http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/wpc-cams-and-transmission-gears.496302/

Quick question what is being machined on the single 3/4 hub slider for the double synchros to fit? The 1990 hub slider the gears fit perfect I have checked every measurement from the single small synchro and double synchro and don't see an issue. Now the hub slider I have is not Md747646 but Md735298 1990.. is it the center section in the picture its the only part the visually where the clearances looks close?

What dealer? Most dealers sell them for $90-$100.
Yeah Donnie my cost is 30% off retail which put one gear at 90.00 and the other was originally 92.00 and the synchos was 52.00. can't remember the price on the steel shift fork but I will post invoice of modified prices.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice bro. Have the same done to my new trans. And I'm rocking a welded center, viscous coupler eliminated and tre front LSD unit. Brian wouldn't have done it this way for me if it wasn't the best method, that's for dang sure LOL. :)

One or two things either no one wants to comment or they don't know. Its all good though LOLJust stay tune I will figure it out ,that's what I do and I will post results only from hence forth on this thread.......Love keltalon or hate him right:hmm: he gonna do some things regarless:thumb: I think that's all some want to see results and not how results were obtained, because they approach seems so against the grain:idontknow:no problem...

Ask Brian bro he will know!! You want his email? If I knew I would tell ya
Thanks I have his number, but the most successful results come from not "cheating the grind" The results of my pathway has always been the results of grinding day and night. When I hit a brick wall trust me I will call him not there yet LOL. It seems I have something figured out I will confirm it when I post the results. Hey by the way I boxed those pistons already and will get them off to you Monday for sure on the house:thumb:

Nice bro thx didnt want to bug ya. But really thx bro the gst can get put back together :) and time for some fun again. Miss my baby haha. You ever need anything just ask brah! Gotta stick together us dsmers and keep this platform Rollin and alive! And continue to kick the snot out of other platforms haha v8 killin, fart can smashin hahhaa

Last edited:
continue to kick the snot out of other platforms haha v8 killin, fart can smashin hahhaa
Funny you say that I been rocking my 4g63 v8 killer shirt around town and man I have been stirring them up here big time, they don't like that shirt too many v8s here LOL.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back