The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Driver Side Front Drive Axle Support Bolts - Broken In The Hole

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theomhd

Probationary Member
May 13, 2010
Everett, Washington
Disclaimer: I spent about 30 minutes searching for a thread that would answer my question before creating this post. I found quite a few threads that cover the issue of these bolts being broken, but not that address them being stuck down in the hole 1/3 of an inch.

Make/Model: 1990 Eagle Talon TSI AWD

The support bracket that holds holds the driver side drive axle has two bolts that go into the back of the engine. Both bolts broke off about 1/3 of an inch down in the hole.

I can't find a 90 degree drill small enough to get into that space. If I could, I would use a square bolt puller. I can't drill a hole from the side and twist it out with a screw driver or weld anything to the tip because it's down in the hole.

I have about 6 inches of space to work with. Does anyone have an alternative to pulling the motor so I can get these bolts out?

Thanks.

Last edited:
At this point I think you should try removing the axle. I think if you take it apart at the hub you will have enough play to slide/flip the carrier/support off of the broken bolts and then pull the axle out of the transmission. This should leave you enough room to get on the end of the broken bolts with something to extract them. It might be worth a try instead of messing around with a drill in there or removing the engine. Good luck:thumb:

At this point I think you should try removing the axle. I think if you take it apart at the hub you will have enough play to slide/flip the carrier/support off of the broken bolts and then pull the axle out of the transmission. This should leave you enough room to get on the end of the broken bolts with something to extract them. It might be worth a try instead of messing around with a drill in there or removing the engine. Good luck:thumb:

The axle is out and the support bracket is out with it. The bolts are broken about 1/3 of an inch into the engine block.

Seems like a angle drill is about your only option. That is a tight spot man that sucks.

The axle is out and the support bracket is out with it. The bolts are broken about 1/3 of an inch into the engine block.

Oh, sorry. I guess i misunderstood what you had going on. An angle drill or taking the engine out are the only options that I know of in that particular instance.:toobad:

I used a right angle drill and eazy out when I broke mine. I broke them about 5 times. Then I replaced my engine mounts. That was the cause.

I'm with the guys above - having broken off a number of bolts in the block (mainly oil pan bolts, nothing a big as the axle carrier bearing bolts), your only real good option is to drill it. And to do that, you'll probably need some type of specialty 90* angled drill.

Just a thought here - maybe you could drop the downpipe, drop the crossmember, unbolt the drivers side motor mount and lower the drivers side of the engine down a bit....that may give you some clearance to get a better angle on it with a standard drill.....sorry man, tough situation. :(

i bought one of these and it worked perfect with some good carbide bits and bolt extractor. The hardest part is getting the bit to line up since its hard to tell where the center of the bolt is.http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00911576000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=

i have broken mine about 4 times until i realized that there used to be a ac bracket there between the axle bracket and the block. Putting spacers there didnt solve the problem either. If you took your AC out and didnt leave the bracket then your are going to have the same issue down the road or even hours after putting in a new bolt. Getting a stronger bolt didnt do the trick either.

I'll give it a shot this weekend and get back to you. Thanks for the tips so far.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back