The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

General Continued issues with injector duty....out of ideas

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SasaniFab

Proven Member
Dec 1, 2013
Mexico, Connecticut
1). Any boost, vac, or exhaust leaks?
Boost leak tested 5psi above your max boost with no leaks?
Car was boost leak verified to 30psi
2). Verified mechanical timing?
yes
3). Verified base timing?
yes
4). Ignition system
COP or Stock Coil:stock
Wire brand and Age: ngk blue
Spark Plug brand, type and Gap: ngk 7 heat range

5). Motor health (Compression Test)
Cylinder 1: 155
Cylinder 2:155
Cylinder 3:155
Cylinder 4:155

6). Performed basic throttle body adjustments?
Idle Switch:yes
Throttle Cable:yes
TPS:.63 volts
BISS:yes

7). Compression ratio
8.3:1
8). Any known bad sensors or brittle wiring?
no known, need to check rewire connections at pump
9). Any DTC/CEL codes?
no
10). Electrical system
Car off (not running):
Car running:

11). Base fuel pressure and injector values
Base Fuel Pressure: stock 1g
Injector Size (cc/min): 1000 pte

12). Properly calibrated and configured wideband sensor
Sensor Brand: lm2
Calibration Date: last month

13). Type of fuel
Type: ms100 vp
Percent of Ethanol:meth injection 50/50

14). Watched ECMlink how-to videos?yes
Ok so
I just wanted to start by sharing my observations over the past few months. As some of you may know i recently built my first motor(complete) last week I happened to look down at my log and saw that my injector duty at 145% this was with a walbro 450 and pte 1000cc injectors at 20psi on pump. My last motor never had this issue, i added a log to show the difference between the two. At idle my injector duty hovers around 20%. At the shop yesterday I completely tore apart my fuel system and didnt find anything in fact it was spotless. What i did find was some of the wires leading to the pump from the rewire frayed underneath the heatshrink tubing. I made a repair and it didnt change anything. Now before i started my new motor I had to replace my cam position sensor because it went bad, it was fine when it was removed. I ordered one from rock auto and the car fired up without hesitation. Looking at the log currently at idle the INJON stays at 24.58ms and does not fluctuate. On the old motor the injon would fluctuate. Its almost like the injectors are stuck open? Doesnt the cam position sensor dictate when the injectors fire depending on cam position?Any ideas would be appreciated

Both logs 2016 was old stock block same setup, 2017 is new motor same setup

Attachments

• log.2016.07.24-09.elg
    37.4 KB · Views: 46
  • log.2017.03.01-03.elg
    407.2 KB · Views: 38
Hey dude, for starters, try this:

Turn on the car, but don't start it. Connect ECMlink and activate the fuel pump using the "Mics" tab in the ECU config.

The pump should come on, obviously:

-Does is sound normal, or whiny?
-What's the fuel pressure gauge on your AFPR say with the car off pump running?
-What's the voltage at the pump terminals?
-Shut the pump off, does the fuel pressure hold for a min, or drop off immediately?

Lastly, what's the no-shit base fuel pressure set at? Is it legit at 37psi?

Last edited:
My fuel pressure is set at stock 1g it increases to 60psi in boost. I installed a gauge so I could track it to confirm 1:1. Pump sounds good when clicked in link, very loud whine. I'll have to get back to you with the rest as I'm stuck out of town until sat. When I adjust the fuel pressure I remove the vacuum line screw in or out the Allen bolt and the gauge rises or falls accordingly. The gauge doesn't hold for a long time, but it holds and falls slowly

@amsrn13

What was the problem? And why is your fuel pressure at 1g? Should be at 43.
My fuel pressure has been all over trying to solve this issue. Basically what happened was that the computer value for injon is not reading correctly because of a software malfunction. Because the injon is stuck at 24ms it's throwing off my injector duty. The computer thinks my injectors are always at 24ms thus increasing my injextor duty. Tom from ecmlink made it clear that the motor wouldn't run if this was really happening. I just need to clear my captured values and reset everything basically. If that doesn't work, there is another method that he didn't share with me because He's hoping this will fix it first

The more you think about it.... injon should never be a static number. If the motor is running that's impossible therefore it's software.

the issue was resolved, thanks for everyones ideas
So basically you were right when you hypothesized that there was an error somewhere in the equation that ecmlink uses to calculate IDC's...
Good work emailing Tom, I would have been chasing my tail much longer :D
Hopefully the hiccups are done...

So basically you were right when you hypothesized that there was an error somewhere in the equation that ecmlink uses to calculate IDC's...
Good work emailing Tom, I would have been chasing my tail much longer :D
Hopefully the hiccups are done...
Yah it's one of those things man that Drove me nuts. I built the car so I know it was built correctly however you never know with these damn cars.

Thanks for posting the solution, that is the most helpful thing on any thread is the resolution. :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back