The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

CEL at high rpm

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coolrider2112

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 25, 2011
Sierra Vista, Arizona
I have new spark plugs and wires. When I rev high rpm to abouy 6k the check engine light blinks then turns off what can this be? Maybe cas?

Do you have a logger?

Do any other dash lights come on? The thing is, I'm no 1g pro, but I don't believe that it the CEL was ever intended to simply flash/blink on an event. It goes on, and stays on. The reason I ask about other dash lights is that this kind of thing can happen with bad alternators.

Is the CEL still on or did it just blink on and then right back off?

I thought that too, but said "A 90? naww.." and never bothered to look at his profile. These days I'm always associating knock/CEL with ceddymods. Thanks for bringing that up.

Was the ECU chipped to use the CEL to display knock?

it happened to me recently. when the motor developed rod knock the knock sensor picked it up and it flashed real quick. ran thru the log and the it was def not detonation LOL. i have my knock cel set way low on link.

PiedEyePiper is correct, only on OBD2 vehicles was it mandatory for a CEL to flash during a Cat damaging misfire. Anything before OBD2 good luck even detecting a misfire.

Yah the CEL light just flickers on when I hit high rev. You think the CAS could be off timed? Im going to have to check that with my light.

I have heard people say that you can get your ECU chipped so that you could use your CEL as a shift light. when ever you would get to a certin RPM your CEL would come on.

with your ecu being chipped it probably is set up for the cel to monitor knock. you said it only happened at higher rpm what were you boosting at the time and what was your afrs need to know before people can actually give you a good answer or people are going to just ramble on and on about stuff.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back