The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

1G Motor Swap Car stalls

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

91TurboTalonFWD

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 2, 2007
Fort wayne, Indiana
Driving the car and coming to a stop with the clutch pedal in the car turns off sometimes when making turns the car turns off. when the car is idling sometimes it drops to 500 and turns off sometimes it idles fine and sometimes its at about 1500rpms could the CAS cause this?

If the car is shutting off mainly during changes in direction or momentum then you might want to start by making sure your battery is properly secured/tied down and also make sure the battery cables are tight. Check your ground connections as well. Not sure if the CAS might cause the symptoms you are describing but the things I mentioned are easy enough to check first.

Whew thought i was the only one with this problem im sure there are more tuners with this problem or have heard of it please help us!

Driving the car in 2nd gear at about 45 and i heard a small pop felt like the car lost all power and the car turned off on me. I turned the car back on and drove it home about 200feet now the car wont start period. Timing is on point the car just cranks but wont crank over. Any ideas? Please help guys i need the car runing so i can get back and forth to work!

Most likely your alternator died so trying jump starting it with a booster pack. If this happens constantly your alternator and most likely your battery needs to be replaced. Some other causes could be your spark plugs, spark plug wires, and coil-pack.

Well i know alternator and battery are good my plugs are black could that be a factor? 3 match and one is a diffrent brand so idk maybe that might have to do something with it whats the correct way to plug the wires from the pack to the head? i think mines are out of order

Well the battery is dead i used my dads battery out of his mustang but next weekend im going to buy a new battery and new plugs for it

Once you get the new battery in, re-check the voltage on the battery with the car off and then on as freshlane suggested to make sure your alternator is doing it's job properly. A weak alternator will just kill your new battery quickly. Better safe than sorry! :thumb:

Would a weak alternator start the car sometimes and at other times not start it? It takes about 15 trys to get it to start over any ideas why its doing that?

I dont have the battery bracket that held the battery in place i need one of these to keep my battery secure anybody have one layin around and wants to sell it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Would a weak alternator start the car sometimes and at other times not start it? It takes about 15 trys to get it to start over any ideas why its doing that?

Yes it would. Alternator keeps your battery charged and if it's bad, then more than likely your battery is almost shot.

Don't put in a new battery without buying a new alternator first. You'll just run into the same exact problem.

Well i know the battery is dead. I put my dads battery in and the car did the same thing it kept crankin but wouldnt crank over. I need a battery anyway because mine is SHOT. Im going to pull my alternator off and have it tested

I don't want to make it seem like you don't know what you're doing, but have you looked at your ic piping? I've had the big "pop!" while going down the track then the boost gauge went to "0" and then I knew I had lost a pipe somewhere. If you haven't checked it, take a look.

When my car shut off, it took 10 times to start it and then it didn't really want to. But I "forced" it in order to make it up the return road to the trailer. just checking to see if that has been looked into.

I will be doing a boost leak test soon to see if im leaking anywhere and if the hoses popped and what not!

Going to do all of that before i go out and start buying things!

This weekend im buying a battery and spark plugs and getting the alternator tested. Would a bad alternator start the car sometimes and at other times not want to? After about 20 tries the car starts so is the alternator doing it or is this something else?

a bad starter might not let the car start sometimes but then it might work other times. A battery is used to start the car mostly and the alternator keeps the battery charged and run all your accessories/electronics and what not.

When your alternator dying youll notice it gradually. Your interior/exterior lights would start to dim, your battery light would come on and then the car would die once all of the energy from the battery was used up. Also check to make sure your alternator belt is taut.

From your original post it sounded like you blew an intercooler pipe off. Id go through all your connections and make sure everything is tight. Then, check the voltage at your battery once you replace. Also if you have the time get your alternator check and replace if neccesary. Also Id check your grounds and connections to the starter.

Also one last thing Id check for if the car still doesnt start and youve replaced your battery and alternator is to make sure youre getting spark and fuel.
Hope this helps.

Yea im going to do a boost leak test first then go out and buy the battery and go from there i hope its nothing big so i dont have to spend alot just to get it runing!

So today i bought new plugs (6ES) and a new battery and i got my alternator tested, it was over charging. It was shootin 20 extra into the system thats what the guy told me on the tester the normal zone was about 15 i was at 20-22 and he said this could have messed up my computer.

whats the dsmtuners input on this one?

If the alt. power is over the normal limit of 15 volts MAX then its bad in most cases. I had a simalar problem, swapped the altornator and it was all good.

Yep its over 15. It had a green zone on the monitor and it was way over so would this be the problem of my car not starting?

I bought the battery, put it in with the new NGKs and i tried to start the car its wanting to start and its cranking slow but not like REAL SLOW could this be from the overcharging alternator?

I got my alternator tested and it was overcharging at 20-22Volts.

When my car ran and i would turn right the car would turn off i was told this was the alternator with the alternator overcharging would this cause my car not to start anymore and make it crank slow?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back