The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Can Blocking Off the EGR Valve cause Idle Surge?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoostedinSoFla

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 1, 2006
South Florida, Florida
So, this shit is driving me nuts man. I tested the ISC today according to the Haynes Manual.

I used the ohmmeter and I got 31.6 ohms when I touched pins 1&2, 2&3, 4&5 and 5&6. They all gave me that reading and according to the Haynes manual it should be between 28 and 33 ohms.

So now that I blocked off my EGR recently I wanna know if there is some thing I did wrong. I removed the Charcoal canister and left the vent hose from the gas tank wedged between the frame/firewall area. I then installed the block off plate that I made out of sheet metal in between the EGR and intake manifold along with some silicone. Now the hoses that come from the EGR were completely removed and the ports on the intake mani were capped off. The solenoids on the firewall are all plugged in. Did I miss something or do something wrong?

It's also strange that the car doesn't surge when the AC is on. How strange is that shit?
Can boost leaks cause idle surge? I'm stumped man...:mad:

Here's the vid.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JuMXPIVVip4"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JuMXPIVVip4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

It definitely has nothing to do with blocking your EGR. I blocked mine off and all I noticed was a slight reduction in gas milage. Since your ISC is good, check your ISC connections, make sure you didn't yank a wire when you were pulling your EGR off.

Are you getting any check engine lights?

I can barely hear it, but I know my car sounded like that when I swapped tb's. I ended up having a boost leak on the tb gaskets.

So dude above me is right, might be related.

I have no idea how everyone has missed this, but the EGR has NOTHING to do with the charcoal canister. That is your EVAP system. Put things back the way they were, and if you really feel the need to eliminate things that are good for your car, do it the "right" way.

I have no idea how everyone has missed this, but the EGR has NOTHING to do with the charcoal canister. That is your EVAP system. Put things back the way they were, and if you really feel the need to eliminate things that are good for your car, do it the "right" way.

So tell me how is removing my charcoal canister causing my idle surge problem? And this was simply done to clean up the engine bay, it was never a part of my emissions elimination process.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back