The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

Can a 4g63 non-turbo head be used on a 4g63?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b00st_catalyst

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 25, 2007
Hampton Roads, Virginia
I have a free non-turbo head, same year as my TSi. I need a head....would it work.

I did search...not an easy topic to search.

*edit*

Its a seven bolt, 2g TSi. I thought the donor head was a 2g, i will have to see for myself in the AM.

it will if but the cams are diff. if you have turbo cams it will run great. but non-turbo cams and you will back fire alot.:talon:

Yes replace the cams. And while your in there... I would spend the extra money and get a valve job done and maybe some 3G lifters. Otherwise there's no difference.

I am sending my head to have work done. I wanted something to have on it while it my head was being done.

SWEET!! Thanks!

I am sending my head to have work done. I wanted something to have on it while it my head was being done.

SWEET!! Thanks!

Of course I am assuming you were comparing a 1G head with 4G63 N/t Head.

There are four flavors:
90-93'ish 6-bolt 4G63
93'ish - 94 7 bolt 4G63
95 7 Bolt 4G63
96 - 99 7 Bolt 4G63

I believe my dates to be close. The NT 6 bolts would correspond with the 90-93'ish 6-bolt 4G63. There weren't 7-bolt NT 4G63 in the US (to the best of my knowledge) of any model year. So if you are talking 6-bolt head to 6-bolt head then yes they are identical other than cams. If you are talking 6 bolt NT head to 93'ish to 94 7-bolt 4G63 head then yes they are identical other than cams. If you are talking 6 bolt NT head or 93'ish to 94 7-bolt 4G63 head to anything 2G, then no they aren't similar.

WTF

I think the head is from a 2g? Its still at the boneyard, i will have to swing by in the morning and see what he pulled it from.

This is for a 7-bolt actually. :coy:

i actually just did this on my car you need to swap out the thermostat housing. There is not any water lines for the turbo on the NT head thermostat housing

Cool, my new turbo is oil only.

If you are running water lines (i know yours is only oil but for reference), there are the 2 water lines to the throttle body...I used them when I added the turbo to my 6 bolt n/t. Works great :thumb:. big_d:talon::laser::dsm:

Sounds to me like they he's asking if he can put a 95 420a head on a 4g63 block and if thats the case then NO.

No, i know the differance between the 420a and the 4g63. I turbo'd my 95' acr in 99'...what fun that was!

I have a 7bolt 4g63. I have a head from a 4g63 Non-turbo DSM, which i was told was a 02/95' production date. Will that head bolt on to my 7-bolt bottom end. If it is in fact a 1st gen, will it still work? I will be confirming the year of the vehicle tomorrow. The head looks almost identical to mine.

Sorry to be confusing.

As long as you have both heads(yxours and the replacement head) you will be fine.. just swap out the thermostat housings..

Too much info confuses all of the new guys.

I didn't know the US market had NT 2G 7-bolt 4G63's...

If its a 1G head (either 6 or 7 Doesnt matter as 1G head is identical for all pre-95 years) you'll need a different intake manifold, the 1G intake manifold. And the head stud sizes are different.

I didn't know the US market had NT 2G 7-bolt 4G63's...

If its a 1G head (either 6 or 7 Doesnt matter as 1G head is identical for all pre-95 years) you'll need a different intake manifold, the 1G intake manifold. And the head stud sizes are different.

Granted, I am new to DSM's...but, i am pretty sure the US GS-Spyder had the 4g63 non-turbo. I know the spyder at the dealership i worked at was a non-turbo, 4g63. I didn't know they existed at the time, i was kinda stumbled.

When you say head stud sizes are differant, are they larger on the first gen? If so i can put this on my press and drill them out.

raph said:
As long as you have both heads(yxours and the replacement head) you will be fine.. just swap out the thermostat housings..

Too much info confuses all of the new guys.

haha, not always true. Too much variation in info, confuses anyone!

Granted, I am new to DSM's...but, i am pretty sure the US GS-Spyder had the 4g63 non-turbo. I know the spyder at the dealership i worked at was a non-turbo, 4g63. I didn't know they existed at the time, i was kinda stumbled.

Actually, nothing 95 and up came with a n/t 4g63 in the US. The spyder actually came with a sohc 4g64, not a 63. In Europe, the 2g style 7 bolt 4g63 n/t was available.

Actually, nothing 95 and up came with a n/t 4g63 in the US. The spyder actually came with a sohc 4g64, not a 63. In Europe, the 2g style 7 bolt 4g63 n/t was available.

I will assume you are right, until i go see this donor. This guy is usually dead on. I am 100% about the spyder though, living amongst the largest naval base in the world, i guess it could have been an import...i dunno.

is the 91-92 4g63 galant head the same as 1g 4g63 eclipse head?

o.. i found it never mind they look to be all the same if its 4g63 only diff is 6 or 7 bolt and cams....?

Does anyone know where the best place is to buy dsm parts? Aftermarket or oem?? I just want to know if there is somewhere that i can go that will have damn near everything that i am looking for or if its like finding a needle in a haystack all the time when it comes to dsm's

JNZ, ExtremePsi, Slowboy, RRE, pretty much any of the big boys will be able to get you what you want. Best thing to do is call though. Because they might not have it one their website, but they carry it or can get it.

James :laser::talon:

Ive used a Non-Turbo head on my turbo motor and all i had to do was swap the cams... but i have upgraded cams neway...but now here is my question... On rre, they say that may92+ heads have better passages in the head for cooling... RRE knows their stuff so i dont doubt themm... But on the 94 1g with the 7 bolt motor, does it come with the smaller ports on the intake or did the smaller intake ports only come on the 2g 7bolts...

...but now here is my question... On rre, they say that may92+ heads have better passages in the head for cooling... RRE knows their stuff so i dont doubt themm... But on the 94 1g with the 7 bolt motor, does it come with the smaller ports on the intake or did the smaller intake ports only come on the 2g 7bolts...

I would like to know for sure on this one as well. I have a 1g 7 bolt head from a 94 N/T 4g63(Plus, intake manifold as well...I just need the, larger, 1g throttle body - Anyone have one for sale by chance???) and will be putting it on my 90-92.5 6 bolt block. I just want to make sure that I have the best flowing head. My goal is for a 400 whp/lbs-ft. trq. DD street/mild track car.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back