Cam Angle Sensor Question - 95 engine in a 97

Posted by greddy_1700, Jun 25, 2009
Newbie Forum - Beginner DSM modification questions and discussions. Common, repetitive, and general discussions will get dumped here from other tech forums. Unless you're a Probationary member you shouldn't post threads here.

1. greddy_1700

greddy_1700 Proven Member

Regina, SK_Canada
    Hey, I am helping a friend swap in a 95 engine to his 97 gsx. I know that the 95's did not use the style cam angle sensor that the 97+ did. My question is do I have to rewire the car to run on the 95 style or can I simply swap the cam angle sensor from his 97 over to the 95 head? Is there some reason that this would not work?
  2. GSXSixteenG

GSXSixteenG Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Buffalo, New_York
    The 95 did not have a crank position sensor so you will run into a wiring problem unless you using a 95 wire harness. Also, you also have the problem if your running the 95 ecu in the 97 with a 97 wire harness. I know with link you have to do the cam angle sensor inversion. The cam angle sensors are not swappable to my knowledge.
  3. luv2rallye

luv2rallye DSM Wiseman

DSM Profiles:
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    All 95-99 have both CAS and CPS sensors. Not sure on the rest - search - it's been done before.
  4. dsmtsi95

dsmtsi95 Probationary Member

Conroe, Texas
    The 97-99 cam angle sensor is on the passenger side on the rear of the head.It's a little black 3 prong sensor. Red/blue/black wires on your engine harness.All you do to the 97 engine harness is find a 95-96 cam or crank engine harness plug or cut the wires on the harness and wire it into the 95 cam sensor, which is on the drivers side under the intake cam gear.It's the grey triangular 3 pin plug that comes out of the top part of timing cover.They have the same color wires, so it's easy too wire.
    When you do convert it you will have too rearrange you plug wires at the coil. You switch them like this stock 1432 --- 2341..
    The 1995-1996 motors do have a crank angle sensor which will be in the same place as your old motor.There will be a 3 prong grey triangular plug coming out where the cam sensor plug does or it's right by the ac plug in.I have done and it's easy.I put a 98 motor in 95 talon so it's the same.
  5. greddy_1700

Regina, SK_Canada
    Ok, so I am using the 97 ecu, harness, etc. Basically everything except the engine itself which is coming out of the 95. Just to be absolutely positive I understand this right, I just have to rewire in the cam angle sensor to attatch to the 95 engine which is on the timing belt side versus the 97's transmission side attached to the intake gear. I will also have to change the firing order? This is the part I do not understand, why would the firing order need to be changed?
  6. greddy_1700

Regina, SK_Canada
    After some searching I see that the 95-96 cam angle sensor outputs a inverted voltage, so that explains why the firing order needs to be changed. Thanks for the help everyone, I will update this after the swap is done (hopefully this weekend)
  7. BlueTurboSpyder

BlueTurboSpyder Probationary Member

Halifax, Pennsylvania
    I hope you read this. The previous posts are slightly incorrect. Yes, the engine will run if you wire the '97 harness CAS wiring into a '95 CAS. It's also true that since the signals are inverted you do have to swap the plug wires to make the vehicle run. Also, some say you have to swap injector wire too. But, if you do a search there has been some debate against performing the swap this way because some previous swaps performed this way by other members on this site have caused rpm stubbling issues. So this is the way it should be performed.

If you look at the left side of the '95 motor on the back side of the valve cover, you'll see a cap where the 97-99 sensors would be. This cap can be removed and replaced with the CAS off of the '97 motor. All you have to do is buy a valve cover gasket set and have the proper hand tools and torque wrench. Remove your valve cover. Remove the top of your timing cover. Rotate your engine to top dead center by lining the cam gear notches up. Remove the cam bearing cap at the left end of the rear cam located on top attached by two bolts. Once the cam bearing cap is removed, the cap on the side of the valve cover where the CAS will be located can be removed. At the end of the cam, you can see a notch just like the 97-99 engines have. Install the CAS and repeat the procedure backwards. Make sure you torque the cam bearing cap to spec and you should lube it up also.

I've read in a few posts that this makes the car run like it normally would and people posted that the car felt smoother and in most cases more powerful. I'm currently going to run a 1g CAS on a '95 motor dropped into my '99 spyder. Since the signals on a 1g CAS and 97-99 CAS aren't inverted like the 95-96 sensors, my swap is working the same way as what yours would. Good luck.
  8. bmoha7321

bmoha7321 Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    madison, Wisconsin
    I'm getting ready to do this tomorow
    Thankyou for the info guys
  9. skunkdsm95

skunkdsm95 Probationary Member

Hemet, California
    so what was the outcome did it turn out good:hellyeah:
  10. redmayns

redmayns Proven Member

West Sacramento, California
    i'm trying to find out too, we have an engine about to go in the 97 that doesn't have that CAS so i gotta see if this works
  11. Alex7747

Alex7747 Proven Member

Hesperia, California
    Why don't you guys just use the 97-99 cas? Im almost positive it will bolt right in.
  12. RdrHartke

RdrHartke Probationary Member

Lubbock, Texas
    A 97-99 CAS will work with the 95 set up, however you will have to tap the current cams in order to fit the 97-99 CAS. Another alternative is to use 97-99 cams and the CAS will bolt up, you can also get a 1G CAS (black lid, hall effect works best) like mentioned above which wont require the cams to be tapped. I am currently dropping in a 95 engine into my 98 gst this is one of the issues that has come up, I will be using a 1G CAS, instructions on how to do the 1G CAS to 2G swap can be found on RRE's website.