The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Buzzing noise won't start

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

41085\\

20+ Year Contributor
Feb 16, 2003
O'Fallon, Missouri
Sometimes it starts right up and sometimes it just buzzes and it won't start. It sounds like its coming behind the dash. The only thing I can think off is probably the ecu or the two relays right next to it which is the starter relay and.... I dont know the other one I think its for my door locks. You guys have any idea what might be wrong. thanks

Check your terminals on the battery, they need to be tight and I've had this problem before intermitantly due to my battery terminals not being tight enough.

yup I checked that anything else I should check?

Is it buzzing when you are turning the key to start the car? If so, it is likely the battery terminals are corroded, the battery is low in charge or one or more ground off the battery is loose or had an otherwise poor connection.

Buzzing behind the dash would be the MPI relay which is controlled by the ignition and ECU. Mine started buzzing along with a few thrown CELs which turned out to be a damaged ECU.

If is the case, may want to pull your ECU and check for damaged capaciters on the board that may have leaked / etched traces on the board. Check THIS for pics of what damage may look like :dsm:

DSM90AWD said:
Is it buzzing when you are turning the key to start the car? If so, it is likely the battery terminals are corroded, the battery is low in charge or one or more ground off the battery is loose or had an otherwise poor connection.

Buzzing behind the dash would be the MPI relay which is controlled by the ignition and ECU. Mine started buzzing along with a few thrown CELs which turned out to be a damaged ECU.

If is the case, may want to pull your ECU and check for damaged capaciters on the board that may have leaked / etched traces on the board. Check THIS for pics of what damage may look like :dsm:

Its only buzzing when I'm turning the key on to start the car. The starter doesn't even turn over it just makes this buzzing noise behind my dash. I can pop start it and drive it just fine without any CEL, but once I shut it off and try to turn it back on sometimes it just buzzes or sometimes it starts right up. So you think it might be a damaged ECU or a bad connection somewhere?

I'm having the same problem right now. Most of the time I hear the buzzing sound for a moment as I turn the key to start the car, but the car starts right up normally. A few times though it has failed to start all together with a constant buzzing noise, and I've had to resort to banging on the center console (since that's where I've heard the sound coming from) to get the car to start. I also read on the forums here that corroded battery terminals, loose ground connections, or the alternator's VR going bad and slowly killing the ECU could cause this.

I checked my ECU and the Caps look fine. (No leaking or "goo" noted). If you're not sure/doubt it's your ECU going bad I'd try to borrow another GOOD ECU (maybe you know someone who has one) and see if the buzzing occurs with the new ECU. If it doesn't, it's most likely a problem within your ECU, and if it does, it prob. is. That's what I'm trying to do. Unfortunately it got cold where I live and the buzzing has for the most part stopped. (the buzzing was at it's worst over the summer).

So I've been driving around with my buddies Eprom in the back seat waiting for the next time that the problem occurs so I can swap the ECU's to see. Based on the fact that the buzzing has stopped since it got cold makes me think that it's going to be electrical break down of one of my relays (most likely the power relay). I base this on the fact that it's harder for electrical components to get too hot in cold weather and malfunction as they would in summer temps. Also the cold, more dense air makes it harder for arcing to occur in malfuncioning components like relays.

I'm sure most of you think I'm just talking out of my ass, but it's just stuff I've been thinking about/considering as being my problem. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. You might want to consider what I've rambled on about too if you're still pondering about the cause of your problem.

anyone ever solve one of these problems? having the same thing now in my 4g swapped colt.

wont turn over, when i hold key to start i get a loud buzzing from behind the dash.

car push starts fine (thats what i had to do to get it home)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back