The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

brake help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blaze12

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 27, 2010
St.Charles, Missouri
hey guys doing my rear brakes today new rotors and pads on my 90 laser and i got the right rear side done but on the other side i cant get the piston to retract ijust turned it clockwise with some needlenose and it turned easy , but this side wont moVE pleas any tips on how to retract the would helpfull

pleas help this is the last keeping me from getting my car inspected

There is a brake square that you can buy from any auto parts store. The problem is that if it doesn't turn easy then it's probably frozen. I'd look into getting a new caliper as no brakes = dangerous conditions! You could also see about going to a junk yard and grabbing one. If I'm not mistaken they are the same all turbo 1g's.

Do do it the RIGHT way you would need to rebuild the brake caliper or like most people, just replace it. But....
I have had luck doing it like this.... (you must have some patience and time)

I sprayed some sort of penetrating lubricant like PB in and around the piston under the boot and cranked as hard as I could on the piston with a c-clamp. After a little bit of spraying and clamping I can usually get the piston to start to move with a pair of vise grips on the outer end of the piston where the pads contact.

It might stop moving/turning though and you will have to get in the car and push on the brake pedal a little to get the piston to come back out a little bit (not too much though) so you can again begin the process of spraying, clamping, and turning. Repeat and repeat and repeat if needed.

Hope this helps and good luck.:thumb:

Just buy a new one, save yourself some trouble down the road. Than just make sure you bleed it good.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back