The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

better timing belt

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spoolin18

10+ Year Contributor
Feb 2, 2009
Albany, Kentucky
Not sure where to put this question, so here goes. I recently purchased a oem MITSUBISHI timing belt, it had bad discoloration all the way around and you could see the back ribs through the discoloration. IT looked like a weak spot in plastic, so I sent pictures to the vender, out of respect to them I will not name them so don't even ask. They thought was a weak spot to, so they sent me another one, it had the same discoloration except not as bad. I'm now looking at a kevlar belt instead. I was curious as to what the consensus was on the best kevlar timing belt.

1.) Greddy

2.) Gates racing

3.) HKS fine tune purple, and do you have to use their cam gears to use that belt?

Thanks.

I went with a Gates kevlar belt. Excellent quality, will not stretch. If you want to use a solid tensioner, use the Gates. Cost me $160.

you sure its not something going on inside the timing cover?? i would be more consurned about something else besides the belts being bad unless the vendor has had more than one issue

Did I miss something in the first post? he didnt mention anything other than the belt being faulty looking.....

FWIW I run a greddy belt and have zero issues with it

Was the discoloration on the 2nd belt that you received? It could be just a cosmetic thing in the nitril rubber base that wouldn't affect performance.

But, there are also Contitech belts, which are made by Continental.

Continental supply OEM belts for the Europen vehicles - including VW, BMW, Farrarai and a host of others.

And they are nothing to sneeze at when it comes to quality for a decent price.

-DSM

The belts was never put on the car. I repeat, the belts was never put on the car. I recieved them, opened them up and bam. I did not put them on the car.

Lol well I read your first post...HKS belts do not have to be used with the cam gears. Also if you are worried about it breaking just go kevlar. I am scared to put the stock one back on..thats alot of time,money and girlfriend complaining to risk a 40 dollar belt on.

I run a Gates timing belt from partsdinosuar.com and never had an issue, no stretching, nothing.

I posted something similar to this about 6 months ago to someone that had the same question. I run the absolute cheapest timing belt I can find, which happens to be $29 from Parts Dinosaur. It's an PCI timing belt repackaged from Gates. In all my years of working on 4g63's I have never, ever seen a belt break from a genuine manufacturer's defect. All failures involve one of these: incorrect installation, failure to replace parts such as pulleys and tensioners, or contamination with oil and/or antifreeze. Fluid contamination is the big one... according to PCI, antifreeze contamination reduces the belt life down to 10% of it's rated life expectancy (cited below). If it makes you feel better, you can run a $150 timing belt from Greddy. However, if you properly install your timing belt and keep it clean from contaminants, you will not have a problem.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Edit - it's from PCI, not ITM.

I posted something similar to this about 6 months ago to someone that had the same question. I run the absolute cheapest timing belt I can find, which happens to be $23 from Parts Dinosaur. It's an ITM timing belt repackaged from Gates. In all my years of working on 4g63's I have never, ever seen a belt break from a genuine manufacturer's defect. All failures involve one of these: incorrect installation, failure to replace parts such as pulleys and tensioners, or contamination with oil and/or antifreeze. Fluid contamination is the big one... according to ITM, antifreeze contamination reduces the belt life down to 10% of it's rated life expectancy (cited below). If it makes you feel better, you can run a $150 timing belt from Greddy. However, if you properly install your timing belt and keep it clean from contaminants, you will not have a problem.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Yea this is true. When a belt broke on me last time it was a combo of an oil leak and me being 16 year old kid I think. :tease:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back