The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Best Turbo for 420a's

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haase

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 18, 2010
Oshkosh, Wisconsin
I'm just wondering what you guys think are the best, fastest spooling turbos and what trim they should be for 420a turbo installs??? I'm looking at T3T4 Turbos but they almost all have over .50 trim, would that spool very fast? thanks again

A .50 trim turbo would spool relatively fast. To better suite your needs if would be best if you told us what your going for in your turbo set up? Are you going to max numbers, streetability, little bit of both? What kind of power are you looking to make?

A .50 trim turbo would spool relatively fast. To better suite your needs if would be best if you told us what your going for in your turbo set up? Are you going to max numbers, streetability, little bit of both? What kind of power are you looking to make?

Honestly i just want something that is going to spool fast and give me a good difference in acceleration, so definitely streetability. I'm not trying to make it an all out like race car or anything as i am running stock internals (Until winter comes along and i have some car down time) so yea right now im just looking for something to spool up quick with around 8 psi of boost

If you want faster spool go with just a t3, from everything I've seen they spool up by 3k

Good ones ppl mentioned so far but I like CODE4's turbo setup. There's pics up on here, do a search. I believe he's running a gt35r on a built 2.4edz.

Not really sure, to be honest. Do some searching. If I have to switch turbos again, I'm getting a 16g. This turbo I have now doesn't seem to pull hard until around 3800-4000. Then it torque steers like a mother.

LOL I'm actually running a Hahns super 16G right now and it blows LOL. for some reason i don't hit 6 PSI until about 6000 RPM's in first, and like 4500-5000 in second gear. I'm taking my manifold off to check for leaks and am gonna use a boost leak tester my buddy has to test my IC pipes but thats why im looking for a new turbo LOL

I want to run the evo 3 16g and a tubular manifold, but I can't find any tubular mani's that are mhi flanged

LOL I'm actually running a Hahns super 16G right now and it blows LOL. for some reason i don't hit 6 PSI until about 6000 RPM's in first, and like 4500-5000 in second gear. I'm taking my manifold off to check for leaks and am gonna use a boost leak tester my buddy has to test my IC pipes but thats why im looking for a new turbo LOL

Then you have a problem. On a 8.8 bottom end car the S16g makes almost an NA powerband. Its at full spool by 3k. If your looking for very quick spool, fun street car then get a 16g you will be happy, but I think after you throw the built block in you will be wanting more. I did, and stepped up to a 20g and that still wasn't enough :sneaky:

Then you have a problem. On a 8.8 bottom end car the S16g makes almost an NA powerband. Its at full spool by 3k. If your looking for very quick spool, fun street car then get a 16g you will be happy, but I think after you throw the built block in you will be wanting more. I did, and stepped up to a 20g and that still wasn't enough :sneaky:

A problem with the Turbo right? cause when i drive it i can clearly hear when it starts to whistle and then start to make that other sound when it really starts boosting and that is almost non existent in first gear and very slow in all the others. i found a couple T3T4's, .57 trim (which i don't prefer but its all i can find) im thinking on just getting one of them unless do you think i would be better off with a different turbo?

you can find the flange for 420a manifold online.. also buy the tubular mani for 4g63 and cut and replace the flange on it.. viola 420a tubular mani with a MHI flange...

you can find the flange for 420a manifold online.. also buy the tubular mani for 4g63 and cut and replace the flange on it.. viola 420a tubular mani with a MHI flange...

I think the problem here would be that the flange wouldn't align properly with the rest of the manifold, which would create a problem. Ive been looking into getting a ram horn tubular manifold from CIMotorsports then using an adapter with that, but i dont know how well that would work. If i have to i'll cut the old flange off and weld on an mhi flange.

if you don't get that leak found and fixed you will wear the turbo out prematurely due to over working it.

if what your looking for is streetability with decent power, the 16g you have will be plenty for that. my evo316g hits full spool at around 3600rpms and holds boost until around 6k or so.

My buddy and i did a boost leak test on it and found two huge leaks in my piping so after we fixed them we took it down the road and now im starting to spool at 3000, also found a couple cracks in my manifold that would slow down spool time as well so i think it should be all good, thanks a lot guys for your input once again!

I had a Turbonetics T3/T04E trim BB turbo on my RST and it hit full boost at like 4k. There's something worng with your car if it doesn't spool until 6k. Compression plays a big deal on power delivery. I had my T3/T4 with stock pistons and it spooled relatively quick, then I went to 10.5:1 pistons and it spooled fast. Then I put 8.8:1 and it spooled slow =(. No matter what compression I had it would hit full boost at 4k but the time it took to get to 4k was dependent on the compression.

I agree with the T3, I think the T3 would be great for what your looking for. It'll spool fast and have decent top end. If I still had my RST I would try a T3 with the locomp pistons.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back