The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

Axle Seized In Hub... I'm Going NUTS!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bossku69

10+ Year Contributor
Feb 14, 2011
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
I'm in the process of replacing the wheel bearing on the front left and right side. Got the drivers side hub assembly off with very little effort, I was a bit surprised to be honest.

Passenger side... not so much. The axle is seized/stuck inside the hub. I've tried just about everything, including an entire can of PB and beating the back of the hub until I thought I was going to have an aneurysm, but its stuck :banghead:

I even tried to use a 3 arm gear puller and attached the end to the 32mm socket so it wouldnt mushroom the head of the axle but the threads of the puller got jammed in the socket. I'm about to go insane and cant get this off.

Last resort is to just heat the hell out of it again. I have a map gas torch, but last time that didn't do much. Any other suggestions? Please :pray:

Judging by the way you've mushroomed the end of the axle already, save yourself the trouble and buy a new axle.

Its running with a new axle and a used wheel bearing hub assembly from the junkyard that came off a NT FWD 93-94 Talon. I noticed a slight difference in hubs that is why im trying to save the original hub assembly that came off my 90 gsx.

Axle is not good as you can see in the pic, all i want is my hub so i can press a
new wheel bearing in and get it aligned. That wheel bearing has play. Heat from hell is my last option.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I had this happen on both my axles. I started to grind the mushroom off and take it somewhere to get pressed out and thought id give it another try and they came out. I think the vibrations from grinding on it frees the splines up.

I mentioned above how i was running a hub assembly off a 94 NT Talon in my 90 GSX.
The difference between the two hub assembly's is the length of where the tie rod end bolts up to. Bottom of the pick is off a 91 Talon TSi AWD(longer) and the other from a 94 NT Talon (shorter). I didn't know these were different till I changed them. I have the same hub assembly's now finally. I was just throwing out this info for anyone that didnt know this.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Alright this is going on to long. It's been sitting in my garage now for 4 weeks and I need this fixed because I have to replace brakes and rotors on my Tahoe.

Tomorrow a friend is coming over and I'm going to heat the shot out of this and beat it until it comes off. The last thing I want to do is take the entire axle off, not only do I have no clue but not looking to spend another $100+ on this.

When I'm beating the hub, any suggested/secrets spots? I've been smacking it on the one arm that connects to the suspension and the tie rod arm.

It sounds like people are beeting the hell out of everything. Also sounds like the Chiltons Manual makes it sound to easy.

I am going to use a gear spitter type not a three finger gear puller.

14 Piece Gear Puller Set

Let me know how things go for you.

Parts are so easy to find guys why not replace the whole thing and be done with the headache LOL. I did it on my 2g I just went to a junk yard and replaced the whole assembly for cheap.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back